So, getting into mech mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivo

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Montreal
So whats up..

been vaping for almost a year, started with a fake ego kit (knock off brand bought locally) then moved onto VW like the vamo and svd, along with vivi's, tons of other clearos, and cartos with tanks (which is where i am now)

I have always loved the look of mech mods, and the rba's and rda's that people use with them, so i decided that my next order will consist of these things.

Now I don't have hundreds of dollars to get a big boy mech that costs 200-300$, but I am talking about a clone that the places I order from have, or possibly one of the sigelei mods (there are like 20 of them, all numbered, very nice mods)

I am the kind of person that researches like crazy, I know all of the terms and stuff, like I wont get into sub ohm coils yet, or even micro coils, I have watched videos of people wrapping a coil on a rsst at 1ohm, and it seemed so good.

so for tops i will be getting a igo-l, and a rsst.

it's the mech I am confused about, should I get one of the sigelei mods? which ones are good? or canvape has a wicked bagua and chiyou clone, says made by sigelei? they seem sweet.

any opinions?

also lastly the batteries, I currently hve 3 batteries and a charger, the charger is a trustfire, i want to replace it, and the batteries are 2x 18650 efest IMR 2000mah, and 1x 18350 efest IMR 800mah.

not sure if these are "protected" or not, websites say make sure to use protected batteries for mechs, and I saw some trustfire batteries that say protected, they even have higher mah's, are those worth it?

please give me some ideas, thanks :)

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
Hello sivo, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction on the atomizers. The Igo-L is a little workhorse and seems to be well made good choice there. The RSST is popular as well and I've seen many recommend them as a first genny for the people wanting to try them out, so, while I don't personally have one it also sounds like a good choice.

The Efest 18650 2000 mah batteries are 10 amp batteries according to what I found, and the Efest 18350 is a 6.7 amp battery. Both of them being IMR chemistry is what you want for a mechanical mod, so good start there as well. The amp ratings are necessary to use as the max limit for making your coils. I prefer to leave at least a 10% headroom on the amp limit. For example, if the battery is rated to 10 amps then I won't push it past 9 amps and would suggest staying with a lower amp draw than that to start. When a battery comes off the charger fresh it should be around 4.2 volts. I use that number along with the resistance of the coil I made and punch the numbers into this Ohms Law Calculator to figure out the amp draw.

As far as which mech to get, well that's up to personal preference. Find one you think looks good and then look for reviews and discussion for that specific mod. or ask about that specific mod. I have 3 mech mods and all are clones. K-100, Nemesis, and a Caravela. Of those 3, the Nemesis is by far the most flexible to setup and as the most adaptability. All of them work well. I've heard of people having issues with Bagua clones (the switch) but that may have been worked out by now. The Chi You clones seem to be good performers and there are magnetic switch upgrades readily available.

Oh yeah, with the batteries, we don't use protected batteries for the most part, but instead prefer that the batteries be IMR chemistry (just like you have), or hybrid chemistry. It is not a bad idea to get a 2cent fuse if you are worried about battery protection, however they have amp limits as well. They are cheap and worth having IMO.

Also, why would you not want to try microcoils? They aren't tough to make and perform very well at non-subohm resistance.

sivo

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Montreal
Hello sivo, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction on the atomizers. The Igo-L is a little workhorse and seems to be well made good choice there. The RSST is popular as well and I've seen many recommend them as a first genny for the people wanting to try them out, so, while I don't personally have one it also sounds like a good choice.

The Efest 18650 2000 mah batteries are 10 amp batteries according to what I found, and the Efest 18350 is a 6.7 amp battery. Both of them being IMR chemistry is what you want for a mechanical mod, so good start there as well. The amp ratings are necessary to use as the max limit for making your coils. I prefer to leave at least a 10% headroom on the amp limit. For example, if the battery is rated to 10 amps then I won't push it past 9 amps and would suggest staying with a lower amp draw than that to start. When a battery comes off the charger fresh it should be around 4.2 volts. I use that number along with the resistance of the coil I made and punch the numbers into this Ohms Law Calculator to figure out the amp draw.

As far as which mech to get, well that's up to personal preference. Find one you think looks good and then look for reviews and discussion for that specific mod. or ask about that specific mod. I have 3 mech mods and all are clones. K-100, Nemesis, and a Caravela. Of those 3, the Nemesis is by far the most flexible to setup and as the most adaptability. All of them work well. I've heard of people having issues with Bagua clones (the switch) but that may have been worked out by now. The Chi You clones seem to be good performers and there are magnetic switch upgrades readily available.

Oh yeah, with the batteries, we don't use protected batteries for the most part, but instead prefer that the batteries be IMR chemistry (just like you have), or hybrid chemistry. It is not a bad idea to get a 2cent fuse if you are worried about battery protection, however they have amp limits as well. They are cheap and worth having IMO.

Also, why would you not want to try microcoils? They aren't tough to make and perform very well at non-subohm resistance.

it's not that I don't want to try micro coils, it's a bit advanced it seems? either way i will not rule it out :p hmm i'm still looking at mech's, I mainly order from 2 canadian places because of prices, and my options there are:

a bunch of the sigelei mechs
chiyou/bagou/silver dragon clones

the natural, etc.

still looking, keep the opinions and advice coming :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The only mech I have thus far is a Hammer clone (an Origin on the way) so I can't say much about mechs in general (though the Hammer's great). I'll take a shot at answering your battery question though. All batteries have their specific amp draw raitings and it is important that you know the rating of the batteries you use. You'll want to have IMR or hybrid chemistry batteries (safer chemistry than regular ICR batteries) that are high drain. The efest 18350s can handle 6.4 amps, I don't have information at hand on what the efest 18650s can handle (10a I think). Use an ohms law calculator (plenty available online) to check how many amps a certain coil will draw. Insert 4.2 for the volts (the voltage for a fully charged li-ion battery) and the ohm of your coil and you'll see how many amps are drawn. Make sure that your battery has an amp rating that exceeds what the coil draws. Trustfire batteries are generally considered to be unreliable, and the mAh ratings on them are almost always greatly overstated. No protected batteries are IMRs or hybrid chemistry, which means that they are not as safe even though they are protected. Furthermore, they aren't high drain which means that you'll be pushing them over their limits on both mechs and vv/vw mods, which is dangerous.

So, IMR/hybrid batteries are safer than protected ICRs, and the batteries you have are IMRs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Conchord George

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
NH
Micro coils are easier to build because you wrap them on something solid, like a drill bit or needle. I just use one of those micro screwdrivers that you get with most Chinese atomizers. They allow you to change out just your wick and are easy to clean. Give it a try. No torch needed!

There are a lot of great clones out there. Certain Chi Yous are nice. The switch is really the deciding factor for me. Try some out at your local shop.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The nemesis clone is excellent, the chi you very good (my nod would be for the former).

Also, microcoils are actually pretty easy as far as building coils goes. Watch a YouTube vid or two about twisting them and using cotton for wicking. They can be used in both of your new toppers as well as Kayfuns, etc. Very versatile and once you've practised your build technique (honestly, it's easier than a coil on mesh to build), you'll probably never want for more.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
Here are a few links to threads that are about Sigelei mods.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0229-sigelei-8-after-all-rest-still-best.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/476307-new-sigelei-19-tips-thread.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/399678-sigelei-mechnical-mods.html

That last one is long, but has a bunch of info in it. Please note the date of the posts when you read them because Sigelei updates their mods quite often when there are issues found with them, so you may be reading about an old issue that has since been fixed.

sivo

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Montreal
Well if I can get good stuff, at decent prices. Without huge shipping costs, customs fees at the door, and my package getting seized, then yeah I'd order from the USA lmao. Not sure how it works for vaping stuff. Especially if I can get a slick nemesis or chiyou clone.

Also not sure about shipping costs. I checked a ejuice site and it was like 30$ shipping..

Conchord George

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
NH
cool i will look into micro coils more, and I can't find the nemesis clone anywhere so far online :-(
If you sort the Fast tech page by popularity, the Nemesis clone that is the "good" one should be first or second. I think they are around 20 bucks with free shipping, but they take a couple weeks usually.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Bagua clone is made by Sigeili. Wish I had have had the patience to order the brass one online. Kidneypuncher sells them for like 35 bucks.
I impulsively bought a Sigeili 18650 telescoping mod. Nothing bad to say about it really. Very little V drop, but the threads are a little rough (only matters once a day), and not sure if I will get used to the switch. It's gotta have like a 2 lb. throw, and I can never really figure out a favorite way to hold it. I just liked it because it looked different. BTW Colorado Vapor has Sony 30 amp 18650 batteries for 20 bucks.

Eeegh! Sorry for blasting your eye sockets with my PC screen.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
Yeah, Fasttech is gonna be a long wait right now. The Chinese holidays are starting up and that delays shipping even more than usual. There's a notice in the top of their website about it.

I asked about shipping because I have no idea about the shipping costs into Canada. If it's too expensive to order outside of Canada, i totally get that. There is a website called 101 vape that has good prices on clones, but again, if the shipping makes that too expensive it's not worth it.

Goodluck with your search sivo.

sivo

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, Fasttech is gonna be a long wait right now. The Chinese holidays are starting up and that delays shipping even more than usual. There's a notice in the top of their website about it.

I asked about shipping because I have no idea about the shipping costs into Canada. If it's too expensive to order outside of Canada, i totally get that. There is a website called 101 vape that has good prices on clones, but again, if the shipping makes that too expensive it's not worth it.

Goodluck with your search sivo.

says shipping to canada is 6.99$ O.O its perfect to order a mech and rsst but thats it, the nemesis is out of stock :-( but the chiyou is sleek looking.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have the FT king clone.
It's an Incredible mod.
Well built, easy as pie to set up and use.
Works with a kick. I never have to fiddle with lock or switch.
26$ with free shipping worldwide.
Best mod for the money IMHO.

I also have the Sigelei 8w.
Well made, Caravela-ish style, non logos.
Get both optional tubes so you can use all batteries.

The Nemesis clone is a very nice mod.
I just picked one up and it hits like Tyson in his 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread