So where does the actual battery voltage itself come into play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunsmith99

Moved On
Jun 30, 2013
Georgia
My new Steam mod is VV/VW, and had a setting that shows my actual battery's voltage, not just the voltage I can adjust.

When I ran it out of the box, it showed as 4.1V, and after i fully charged the battery, it was 4.5V, and now after a couple hours of vaping reads as 4.4V.

My question is, does this number come into play with the VW or VV settings I have my mod on?

My Protank's head is a 2.5 oHm, and the chip is reading it at just that, give or take 0.1. I have my VW setting at 6.5 (for some reason, with the juice I'm using, im getting a slightly harsh plasticy taste whenever i go to 7.5 or 8 (which everyone else seems to prefer :glare:)

So does the battery's 4.4V affect my settings, and should i adjust what i already have my stuff set on to get a better flavor, etc?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. This is my first mod in 1.5 years of vaping, and I'm slightly overwhelmed at all the features it shows me

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
interesting that the battery is showing 4.5 V at full charge. I never get above 4.1 from a full charge. Make sure your mod is set in Watt mode and not volt mode. If it is in volt mode and you are going to 8, ( if your mod is capable of it) then that would explain the harsh plastic taste... its pushing the max on the watts. And on the other hand, if you are in Watt mode, and at 8 W you are getting that taste, it could be you are getting into the dry burn spectrum or your juice may not like that kind of heat in the protank. I normally use Heathers Legend in an RSST @1.8ish ohms @ 9-11W ( wonderful) but in my CE8 the same juice is happy at 6W (1.8ohm coil) I suppose its a matter of coil size/contact to wick/ heat transfer/evap rate/etc that can make a big difference.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Variable Wattage does not suffer from voltage drift like a standard regulated mod or (as far as I know) any VV mod or VV/VW mod in VV mode.

You will though, still notice a slight decrease in vapor production as it reaches 3.4v. Just because it's giving you a set wattage doesn't mean voltage power doesn't have an effect. I tend to notice the biggest drop right at the end, between 3.6v and 3.4v.

To answer your question, no. Wattage is still "set and forget". If it tastes good at 6.5 watts, keep it there. You're doing it right :)

Gunsmith99

Moved On
Jun 30, 2013
Georgia
interesting that the battery is showing 4.5 V at full charge. I never get above 4.1 from a full charge. Make sure your mod is set in Watt mode and not volt mode. If it is in volt mode and you are going to 8, ( if your mod is capable of it) then that would explain the harsh plastic taste... its pushing the max on the watts. And on the other hand, if you are in Watt mode, and at 8 W you are getting that taste, it could be you are getting into the dry burn spectrum or your juice may not like that kind of heat in the protank. I normally use Heathers Legend in an RSST @1.8ish ohms @ 9-11W ( wonderful) but in my CE8 the same juice is happy at 6W (1.8ohm coil) I suppose its a matter of coil size/contact to wick/ heat transfer/evap rate/etc that can make a big difference.

Well I'm using 70/30 juice, so it might be that the juice wicks too fast at that power, while on the other hand last night i was using some 50/50 sample that was included in my shipment and it was working fine at 7.5 and 8. It could also be that the cotton wick i put in this morning for the 70/30 isnt "packed" enough in the coils to get a good vape, but slightly loose resulting in less juice burning and overheating. I'll check both of those out, but thanks for the tips guys!

Gunsmith99

Moved On
Jun 30, 2013
Georgia
I am more concerned that your batteries are being over charged. The charger shouldn't be going higher than 4.2 volts!! High than that and a battery can become highly unstable. What charger do you have? Over charging a battery is not a good thing!!

Yikes! I'm using the charger that came with my mod. a single battery charger for the Samsung 18650s my Steam STM mod uses. It's supposed to be a smart charger that cuts off after its fully charged, but maybe it didn't. Come to think of it, I remember reading somewhere that people who had this mod ditched the stock charger and bought an aftermarket one instead. Might be worth investing in

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The 'actual battery voltage' simply allows you to monitor how much charge is left in the battery, and has nothing to do with what voltage is being sent to your atomizer. When it drops to around 3.4v, it's time to think about recharging it. A freshly charged battery should NEVER read more than 4.2v, and the battery should NEVER be discharged below 2.9v.

So I have to ask, what are you using for a charger, and do you have a multimeter?
    If a battery has been over charged, it should be properly disposed of, it is no longer safe to use.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread