Sparkplug thoughts (really a rant about batteries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimloki

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2011
PNW
just choose to speak your opinion on businesses that sell devices with unprotected batteries by letting your money talk....and use my rule...its my money, I choose how I spend it, and if I want to spend it wisely, then i got research to do. (not saying i always research, but that's my own damn fault lol exhibit a: my first kiosk e-cig lol)

Every e-cig accident affects the whole community. Its tough to fight for keeping vaping from being banned when unprotected batteries are used in e-cigs and they explode...

...but even if 1 in 10 vapers were exploded by e-cigs they'd still be MUCH safer than cigarettes. Scary thought.

kboyts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Warren, Ohio, United States
And for those of you rightfully concerned about the unprotected batteries the kit ships with. They also sell just the SparkPlug by itself without all the crap accessories for only $19 then you can buy the AW IMR batteries and a charger elsewhere for close to the same price as the kit with the garbage batteries.

Also another heads up- I bought the sparkplug and using a protected AW battery (not IMR type) the top cap wont crew on fully due to the extended length of the protected battery. It still works fine just doesnt full seat the threads on the cap. Using the IMR batteries though the cap screws on all the wall just fine.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
WOW! I had been thinking about getting a mod, but after reading this stuff, I will never get one. I'm glad I have my Joye eGo-T and I think I'll stick with it.

There are plenty of reasons to be satisfied with the eGo. So, I won't try to talk you out of it. However, now you know about protected batteries, you can just be sure you get them for any mods. It's not hard to find out.

I'm sort of surprised they are recommending unprotected. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. The fact that they know that there is such a thing as protected and unprotected batteries indicates they know the difference.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
Batteries are the one area I outgeek my hubby. I did a bunch of research here and on the sites for RC users and Flashlight folks. Mods are very safe if you buy the best batteries. And the batteries will last a long time if you treat them right. I didn't know until recently that you should keep them in the same pairs and alternate which one of each pair goes on top each time you use them. And if one dies don't stick the other one in a different pair, wither use it in a single battery device or toss it out.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
WOW! I had been thinking about getting a mod, but after reading this stuff, I will never get one. I'm glad I have my Joye eGo-T and I think I'll stick with it.

The safety of an ego battery is only a good as the protective circuits built into the enclosure. The innards of the battery have chemicals storing the actual power, the protection comes from the controlling circuits, or a safe chemisrty.

Protected batteries, ego, 18650, RCR123a, whatever, good protection circuits, safe chemistry, good battery.

Lousy or no protection circuit, or less safe chemistry, bad battery, regardless of if it's an ego, riva, xxx-fire, or any brand.

Some better mods have extra protection circuits, besides what is included in the battery, check the safety descriptions for the mods by Pro-Vape.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Does anyone have any links where to purchase protected batteries that will allow the cap to screw on fully?

Litecig shows the AW CR123 in the replacement section for the Sparkplug so they should fit and are excellent batteries. I'm sure Ultra and Trustifire would work also and are a little cheaper but I recommend AW.

You can get AW at lighthound.com and I think there is a seller in the suppliers forum here that has them. Madvapes as well as many other places sell Ultrafire and Trustfire.

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_114.html

http://www.madvapes.com/Protected-Trustfire-16340CR123-Lithium-Ion-Battery-37v-880mah-_p_2472.html

Last edited:

proudlion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Winter Haven, FL
Mine just arrived today and I'm risking life & limb using the provided unprotected 3.6 volt battery - have ordered the recommended RCR123A protected batteries and charger so I can take advantage of the Thermo adapter and use it at 6 volts - loving it so far and pleased with the great price.

Last edited:

proudlion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Winter Haven, FL
The manufacturer recommends the Tenergy RCR123A 3 volt 900mAh batts for use of the Thermo

The 14500s won't fit!

RCR123A:

Dimensions: 16.5 D x 34 H mm.

-----------------------------------------------------

TrustFire 14500:

Dimensions: 14 D x 50 H mm.

Have 3 trustfires 14500 now (using in 3.7 redbox and oldgoat 5.0)--but need more when (and IF) VV box gets here .
Are they good for these also??
Know i need others for the sparkplug--any top picks ???
And where to buy them ?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Wish I would have seen this thread before I started vaping unprotected batteries for the last 3 hours.. smh.. Thanks for the link, I did order some protected ones that he recommended 3 hours ago, then I just ordered the AW IMR's too.. I wish I could cancel my first order.. ugh

No need to second guess yourself, with the AW IMR's (top of the line, good batteries) you have a very servicable mod with a 801 connector, nice vapor and flavor attys and available in LR.

You should get many happy vaping hours out of your purchases, the mod was cheap, the batteries a few bucks more and still WAY cheaper than a lot of other options. About the only cheaper way to go would be a plastic battery box mod, this is at least a little cooler looking. :)

Silversmyth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2011
Indiana
The manufacturer recommends the Tenergy RCR123A 3 volt 900mAh batts for use of the Thermo

The 14500s won't fit!

RCR123A:

Dimensions: 16.5 D x 34 H mm.

-----------------------------------------------------

TrustFire 14500:

Dimensions: 14 D x 50 H mm.

Thanks, thats why i said" Know I will need others for sparkplug" (as in size)
What I needed was a good place to pick some up--AND which to use with the SP( not Thermo)
AND if the trustfire 's(14500) are OK (SAFE) for continued use on the 3.7 and 5.0 and VV ???? (MV's box)

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Thanks, thats why i said" Know I will need others for sparkplug" (as in size)
What I needed was a good place to pick some up--AND which to use with the SP( not Thermo)
AND if the trustfire 's(14500) are OK (SAFE) for continued use on the 3.7 and 5.0 and VV ???? (MV's box)

Trustfire 14500 are available in both protected and unprotected models. Protected = good vaping :)

Here's one :Li-Ion Batteries
(note, ALL the batteries say Protected)

Many ECF vendors are carrying IMR 14500, and AW 14500, high drain = better still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread