Sparks from firing button. Mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squish87

Oct 5, 2017
Hello everyone! This is my first post on the sight and i have a question. I recently bought a fuhattan mech mod and i have been enjoying it immensely. I started to notice it wasnt hitting and that it was sparking around the firing button. The button itself is not getting hot so i ruled out the hot button issue. The atomizer isn't shorting out either so im kind of stumped. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
:danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger::danger:

Ye gods and little fishies! Don't even think about trying it again until we figure it out. If it's blowing sparks something is seriously wrong and you may be on your way to a battery vent with seriously unpleasant-- hopefully not deadly-- consequences. Take the mod into every piece it comes and take pics and post them. Also the battery, being certain to take pics of both the positive and negative contacts.

Welcome to the board. Please try to sick around a while.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Sorry, I can't help with your photo problem. Just wanted to say I agree with 100% with suprtrkr's advice. I have a bunch of mechs (Reos and Nemesis clones) but I have never seen sparks fly. Of course, I only do MTL at around 1.8-2.2 ohms so I'm not stressing the batteries or the contacts. I never even get contact arcing on a Reo Grand.

Also, just because it's new doesn't mean it's not dirty.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi suprtrkr! Thanks for the reply
I bought the battery today its a hg2 chocolate and the mod 3 days ago so i dont think the connections are dirty. It isnt letting me upload photos from my phone so if you know how to do that it would i would upload them
No prob. The HG2 is a good cell, if not what I would pick for a mech mod. And the Fu has a decent rep as well. Still, though, sparks... this is an issue. What model Fu do you have, if you know? There are, I think, three versions. I can't help with the photo issue. Try it from a pc maybe?

Squish87

Oct 5, 2017
No prob. The HG2 is a good cell, if not what I would pick for a mech mod. And the Fu has a decent rep as well. Still, though, sparks... this is an issue. What model Fu do you have, if you know? There are, I think, three versions. I can't help with the photo issue. Try it from a pc maybe?

All i know is that the tube is aluminum and its made by ameraclone.

Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Dual coil on a volocity v2 clone running at .26 ohms

You're running 15+ amps at a full charge. Sparks happen when high current is unable to easily pass along its route and it jumps across. As it is the connections are unable to carry that current. It may be due to oxidation of the metals (sparking also causes oxidation) and need cleaning or the mod itself it not capable of that much current. Another possibility is the switch is not adjusted properly and not making full contact. I would not use the mod until I tracked down the issue using on ohm meter.

Squish87

Oct 5, 2017
You're running 15+ amps at a full charge. Sparks happen when high current is unable to easily pass along its route and it jumps across. As it is the connections are unable to carry that current. It may be due to oxidation of the metals (sparking also causes oxidation) and need cleaning or the mod itself it not capable of that much current. Another possibility is the switch is not adjusted properly and not making full contact. I would not use the mod until I tracked down the issue using on ohm meter.
Thank you for the reply and the info! I only paid 20 dollars for it brand new so i wouldn't be surprised that couldn't handle the amps i was throwing at it. Also what do you mean by testing it on a ohm meter?

Last edited:

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
even though it's brand new, you should still clean the contacts fully; oxidation takes place whether or not the mod is sold. You should definitely try to track down the problem if you intend to use that mod...imo, given that it's a cheap clone, you may end up tossing it...arcing isn't unusual if your stuff isn't clean.

Squish87

Oct 5, 2017
even though it's brand new, you should still clean the contacts fully; oxidation takes place whether or not the mod is sold. You should definitely try to track down the problem if you intend to use that mod...imo, given that it's a cheap clone, you may end up tossing it...arcing isn't unusual if your stuff isn't clean.
Thanks for they reply. Ill clean it thoroughly and take it from there.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you want to post photos from a phone, you have to reduce the image resolution until the file size is 1mb or so. Do this through your phone's camera settings or transfer it to a computer and use a photo editor.

Pics of devices are always helpful in diagnosing problems.

Squish87

Oct 5, 2017
Thanks everyone for all the replys. I went and picked up a used overdose clone today. I'm running the same setup that I was using on my fuhattan and no problems. So I'm going put the fuhattanin the drawer, maybe I mess with it later on but again thanks to all the reply and tips this is a great forum site!!!

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Thanks everyone for all the replys. I went and picked up a used overdose clone today. I'm running the same setup that I was using on my fuhattan and no problems. So I'm going put the fuhattanin the drawer, maybe I mess with it later on but again thanks to all the reply and tips this is a great forum site!!!

Great move on your part, glad your new setup is working for you.

Reactions: stols001

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hello everyone! This is my first post on the sight and i have a question. I recently bought a fuhattan mech mod and i have been enjoying it immensely. I started to notice it wasnt hitting and that it was sparking around the firing button. The button itself is not getting hot so i ruled out the hot button issue. The atomizer isn't shorting out either so im kind of stumped. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) Disassemble to all its bits you can
2) With a magnifying glass check contact pins, threadings for any abnormalities, any bumps, any uneven areas on the pins, the threads check for burrs and nicks, any plating or paint inside the threadings, try to remove them down to bare base metal
3) If any abnormalities are present use an emory board to sand down flat surfaces, threadings if you can use a die threading set on male threadings, a tap on female threadings (if you know the threading pitch etc), if not gently use an emory board or fine steel wool to work and polish out the burs and nicks in the threadings, scotch brite pads can also work
4) Get some alluminum polish, and nice polishing rag, and thoroughly polish up the on the mod sections, any brass, copper, and or silver plated contact pins use the appropriate type of polish for that metal and polish those up as well, a cheap alternative would be to get some basic white Colgate toothpaste as a polishing compound
5) Using a clean polishing rag, microfiber towels or a car waxing chamis works real well here, get the rest of the polish all cleaned up.
6) Re-assemble the switch and top cap and inspect the throw of the switch thoroughly and how the pin travels, any travel that is not perfectly perpendicular in its throw action there could be a problem right there.
7) Without attaching the RDA assemble the mod with a battery and check the throw and action again, any battery rattle if you can try and adjust the pins (top cap) and battery insulator ring (should be at the switch all that delrin plastic washer), if the mod works on the battery actually shifting upward toward the top, that will have to be worked out sepparately as to how to deal with that.
8) Attach your RDA, making sure to adjust any top cap pins snug to the RDA bottom pin, and if an adjustment pin to the top of the battery, adjust that until the battery is trapped snug, not tight, just enough to keep battery rattle and travel to a minimum, I'd suggest doing a temporary rebuild on the RDA coils to about 1.0ohm minimum before testing for any sparks again, if none, redo your original build, if it sparks with a lower build again, you'll need to up your Ohms to about over 0.5ohms most likely.

That would be how I would trouble shoot the sparking issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread