Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I've got enough parts to do two more hammond box mods. I'd like to do another G box and a B box. The B box I am probably going to wait for shapeways.com to print a voltmeter bezel, but the G box I would like to fit a voltmeter like my last mod... except the voltmeter I have is a smaller .28 meter. This size will work better in the G box. I see no problem using my Dremel to cut out the long sides of the rectangular opening needed. The short sides, though, are smaller than I think I will be able to use my cut-off wheel. So how do I cut out this opening?

ETA: my current idea is to drill two holes and then dremel the long ends. I don't have a metal file, but will then look for one at the hardware store... hopefully something exists that is small and square.

Last edited:

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I use a small square file to make rectangular openings. It is about 3/16" thick and 1/4 to 3/8" wide. It is rough only on the wide sides. It works great for dna windows and squonk holes. It slices through Hammond boxes very easily. I can make the openings as square as I have the patience to do so. I have no idea where I got mine, maybe a garage sale, but they should be easy to find.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I use a small square file to make rectangular openings. It is about 3/16" thick and 1/4 to 3/8" wide. It is rough only on the wide sides. It works great for DNA windows and squonk holes. It slices through Hammond boxes very easily. I can make the openings as square as I have the patience to do so. I have no idea where I got mine, maybe a garage sale, but they should be easy to find.

Thanks for the tip. I was able to make a nice opening simply by drilling and using a small file that I found at the hardware store. Pictures are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread