Steeping/Old Juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

three_sixteen

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Hey folks,

I went back to analogs for a good while, but I'm picking this e-cig thing back up. When I was going through my collection of juice I found some older bottles.. maybe a year+ old that have changed to an almost brown color.

I tried peach, which was less discolored than the pear, doc pepper and strawberry that I have and it seemed to be okay.. but I'm a little nervous about trying the others. The expiration date on them all is 2012, but it almost seems like they're expired now?

Has anyone used juice that's really old and discolored? I've been hearing about this steeping thing as I browse back through the forums, but I think that maybe these things have steeped too long? :p

three_sixteen

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Nicotine juice is photosensitive....meaning that light will cause it to get darker over time. This does not affect the taste.

Temperature can have a bad affect... too much heat can spoil juice.

I kind of suspected that something like this was behind the color change, is there any way to tell if it's been spoiled? I haven't been keeping my juice in the fridge, but I do live in Arizona so the house gets pretty warm in the summer..

jmpublius

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
oll.libertyfund.org
Temperature can have a bad affect... too much heat can spoil juice.

Really? This might explain the brewhaha I had with you guys a couple of months ago over three bottles of ....ty tasting juice I ordered. I'm surprised nobody thought of this, including myself. I remember the mail packages being overly warm when they arrived. I thought maybe the mailman had them on the heater or something. Makes sense though.

three_sixteen

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Really? This might explain the brewhaha I had with you guys a couple of months ago over three bottles of ....ty tasting juice I ordered. I'm surprised nobody thought of this, including myself. I remember the mail packages being overly warm when they arrived. I thought maybe the mailman had them on the heater or something. Makes sense though.

Hey yeah, how much time in a metal mailbox of 100+ degree summer heat is too long for juice?

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
Spoiled juice would simply taste bad/wrong. The nicotine itself degrades so nic strength can lessen.

I would think it would take a while.....short exposure to heat shouldn't do any harm. (our posts crossed M'dir--I do believe that 130 deg for 1 hour would not be good!)

Another thing to note: I've read that storing FLAVORED juice in the fridge is not a good idea. The humidity can play havoc with the flavor. A cool/dry place is optimum.

Unflavored/raw nic juice can be refrigerated with no ill effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread