Storage of PG and VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I've recently started into DIY. I bought 500ml of 100mg Nic in VG from Wizard Labs which I broke down into 7-60ml amber glass bottles (using proper gloves, eye protection and clothing) that I'm storing in the freezer (left out the remaining Nic to use). My question is I also bought 1 gallon of PG and VG from Essential Depot that I broke down into 4-1 quart mason jars (New, washed and sterilized) for each gallon. What would be the best way to store them? I have them in a cooler in my closet (cool, dark, and dry) atm. I'm not sure if that's the correct way to store them or if refrigerating or freezing would be better (the 3 each I'm not currently using). Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I freeze my nic, and keep the other two in a cool dark place.

Good luck in laboratory!:toast:

Thanks for your reply shysnly. I spent months reading and researching before jumping into DIY. I read a lot about Nic storage but not a lot about PG and VG storage. I figured with such a large amount it would be best to break it into smaller packages and get it into glass. What little I did see suggested a cool, dark, dry spot is the preferred method, but with that much I wanted to make sure. Unless I start making juice for the whole neighborhood I think I'm going to have it for awhile ;)

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I keep all 3 in the freezer, none will freeze, but the VG will be gloppy thick until it rewarms. Keep enough at the mixing table to have onhand.

Thanks for the reply. I've gone back and forth on where the best place to store the PG and VG would be. I don't mind putting in the freezer or fridge, just wasn't sure if there is a practical advantage to doing so. Thanks again!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I've been keeping my NIC and VG PG in the freezer. Just think about it. What is the NIC in? either a VG or PG base. If it's ok to freeze NIC base it's OK to freeze vg and pg. The practically of doing it is really up to the individual. Concidering the factors of cost, convienence and amount of usage its really a personal concideration.

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
That's good to know. I'm running out of freezer space. The drastic changes in temperature from summer to winter would concern me. Maybe it would be best to store it in lets say a cool dark closet or cabinet where temperature stays somewhat consistant.

Yeah, garage does get hot in the Summer. PG and VG was cheap so they got little respect. they were martyrs so the nic could have the cool life. I could keep them in crawl space but thoughts of mold enter my head; PG and VG could likely combat the mold. I suppose a cabinet would be a good compromise.

Hmmm, what are the odds freezer will fail and go unnoticed in a 10 year time frame. Be a shame for nic to suffer same fate as the fish and meat.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
During hurricane sandy I was without power for 10 days. I wasn't vaping yet but if I had my base liquids in the freezer I don't think they would have been harmed in that amount of time. But everything else in the freezer wound up in the trash.

I've witnessed 2 freezer failures and the smell was so offensive it would take a strong stomach to keep anything even if the odor/germs don't contaminate the poly cone caps.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
During hurricane sandy I was without power for 10 days. I wasn't vaping yet but if I had my base liquids in the freezer I don't think they would have been harmed in that amount of time. But everything else in the freezer wound up in the trash.

Who needs food, quick get me some dry ice for the Nic :D In all seriousness sorry to hear you lost power for that long in Sandy! I lost power for 4-5 days (iirc) in the Northeast/Midwest blackout of 2003 when I still lived in the Metro Detroit area. It wasn't fun.

Last edited:

devilchasnme

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
detroit
Who needs food, quick get me some dry ice for the Nic :D In all seriousness sorry to hear you lost power for that long in Sandy! I lost power for 4-5 days (iirc) in the Northeast/Midwest blackout of 2003 when I still lived in the Metro Detroit area. It wasn't fun.

Hey, I was in Metro Detroit (Garden City) during that too! It was kind of enjoyable that first day, everything was quiet. Nice and peaceful. Then the next day my neighbor dragged out his generator and it was misery till the power came back on.

Quiet is underrated.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Hey, I was in Metro Detroit (Garden City) during that too! It was kind of enjoyable that first day, everything was quiet. Nice and peaceful. Then the next day my neighbor dragged out his generator and it was misery till the power came back on.

Quiet is underrated.

I agree, the quiet was nice. I remember we started taking turns hanging out on each others porches and talking (the neighbours) and lighting candles. It was like going back to a simpler time.

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread