Subtank Mini - OCC vs RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkan

Feb 17, 2015
Rome
I've been enjoying the subtank mini for a few weeks now, both with the OCC coils (mostly 0.5ohm) and the RBA section. I noticed I seem to get a "smoother" and somewhat tighter air draw with the OCC 0.5 coil compared to the RBA section even if I build it at exactly the same ohms. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what could be the reason? I usually build contact coils with a 3mm diameter on the RBA. Or could it be a wicking issue? I wick using KGD organic cotton. I'm trying to achieve the same draw "feel" on the rba cos I like my build to be around 0.8 - 1.0... I haven't tried spaced coils yet... anyone has any advice/experience on this?
Cheers!

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Take the ubiquitous blue screwdriver and some 26 ga kanthal. Do 6 spaced wraps which will give you 6 ohms. Stuff it pretty tight with cotton. Leave the wick leads a little longer than the end of the deck. Put the chimney on and stuff them down lightly with a screwdriver.

I have found with the STM that more cotton in the coil is better (you want resistance, but not enough where it bends your coil). And I have found that leaving the wick leads a little long is better than cutting them short. If I cut them short (where they barely lay on the deck) I end up with dry hits when I chain vape. But, I don't vape max VG juice either.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines

militantomg

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2015
NYC
watch the vid, its almost exactly the way i wick but i use thicker piece of cotton and i leave ends a little thicker than what u see in vid, ymmv.
once u get it u right u wont go back to occ

Yeah I've been doing very similar to ....-kickers just with my own little nuances. When people ask how I wick it for max VG, I just link that video since its close enough.

Darkan

Feb 17, 2015
Rome
Take the ubiquitous blue screwdriver and some 26 ga kanthal. Do 6 spaced wraps which will give you 6 ohms. Stuff it pretty tight with cotton. Leave the wick leads a little longer than the end of the deck. Put the chimney on and stuff them down lightly with a screwdriver.

I have found with the STM that more cotton in the coil is better (you want resistance, but not enough where it bends your coil). And I have found that leaving the wick leads a little long is better than cutting them short. If I cut them short (where they barely lay on the deck) I end up with dry hits when I chain vape. But, I don't vape max VG juice either.

Thanks I'll give spaced coils a try with the suggested build. Had a look at the video also, interesting! We'll see how it goes :D Thanks!

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I've been enjoying the subtank mini for a few weeks now, both with the OCC coils (mostly 0.5ohm) and the RBA section. I noticed I seem to get a "smoother" and somewhat tighter air draw with the OCC 0.5 coil compared to the RBA section even if I build it at exactly the same ohms. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what could be the reason? I usually build contact coils with a 3mm diameter on the RBA. Or could it be a wicking issue? I wick using KGD organic cotton. I'm trying to achieve the same draw "feel" on the rba cos I like my build to be around 0.8 - 1.0... I haven't tried spaced coils yet... anyone has any advice/experience on this?
Cheers!

I rebuild the OCC's over using the RBA because I also like the smoother draw the OCC offers, something I have mentioned in the past. I think the OCC has better airflow than the RBA as well, another reason I prefer them. I build mine with 26g kanthal 5 wraps 2.5 iD spaced (using a 6-32 machine screw) and they work great, usually ohm'ing out around .75.

I have tried everything to try and like the RBA section more, but have not been able to come up with anything. That smooth draw of the OCC is just nice. I am picking up some nichrome 80 (what Kanger uses) today to use instead of kanthal since it seems I will just keep rebuilding these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread