Suddenly Itchy All OVER - PG / VG Allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcstyle

Dec 14, 2013
Lcstyle
been a vaper for years now.

Got stung by a few hornets a couple weeks ago and also got a cut that required some stitches on that same day.
Anyways, after getting stitches out on a Friday about a week ago, that saturday started getting ITCHY all over.

Well that's been going on for about a week and a half. Nothing really visible on the skin, but anywhere I scratch immediately goes insane.
Nothings changed, same ejuices, same atomizer build, same laundry detergents, same diet!

Trying to determine if I just developed a PG allergy out of nowhere, or perhaps some combination of Hornet Stings / Wound Healing / Constant vaping is doing me in? It's weird because the hornet stings and wound on my leg healed perfectly FINE, with no allergies until after the stitches were removed. I know some people are allergic to self dissolving stiches but I didn't have those.

So can anyone tell me if they've experienced similar symptoms:
1. Itchy rash breakout all over - seems to come and go, hard to pinpoint (can't really correlate directly with vaping). I might vape a bunch only to breakout some indeterminate time later (maybe in 30 mins, or maybe a few hours later!)
2. No other symptoms. I've even tried applying low nic content ejuice (i vape 6mgs in the kayfun) directly to skin with no reaction whatsoever!
3. I tried cutting back a bit but I already vape so little, cutting back to 6mgs was the best thing I ever did.

Anyways, looking for people with similar experiences and with more information on PG allergy symptoms.

C0wBOY

Aug 2, 2014
San Anotio Fl
I suffer from allergic reactions to hornet sting itchy feel hives anaphylactic shock, my mother does as well when she gets stung her reaction takes about ten days to set in try taking some Benadryl if that doesn't work I would seek medical attention which you may want to do regardless but I think the Benadryl will work keep in mind I am no doctor

Lcstyle

Dec 14, 2013
Lcstyle
I suffer from allergic reactions to hornet sting itchy feel hives anaphylactic shock, my mother does as well when she gets stung her reaction takes about ten days to set in try taking some Benadryl if that doesn't work I would seek medical attention which you may want to do regardless but I think the Benadryl will work keep in mind I am no doctor

thanks for the reply I was OK dealing with the hornet stings. my symptoms started about a week after I had been stung. Hornet stings are almost healed up. BTW Did I mention I hate wasps / Hornets?

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
thanks for the reply I was OK dealing with the hornet stings. my symptoms started about a week after I had been stung. Hornet stings are almost healed up. BTW Did I mention I hate wasps / Hornets?

Definitely could be from the stings. I agree with Cowboy, take some benadryl and if that doesn't work, call your doctor.
Good luck to you!!!!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Not a doc but.... sounds to me your immune system has hit overload leaving you with a hives-type reaction to anything it "sees" as an attack... like a scratch. You might not have all the hornet venom out of your tissues, etc...... Just hope its temporary and in the meantime might help to take a daily Loratadine (that's the generic name cause its cheaper)... you can get the Equate brand at Walmart. If you don't want to do that, you can spray a scratch with benadryl spray from the first aid section but I wouldn't spray big areas like whole arm for instance and I wouldn't take benadryl instead of loratindine cause it makes you sleepy and thickens mucous in case you get any congestion. Hope that helps.

PS: My allergies began with getting stung by a whole hive of yellow jackets as a kid... yeh, life-threatening... and the consequence is that each year there is
something new my immune system goes into full defense with.

Last edited:

Lcstyle

Dec 14, 2013
Lcstyle
Definitely could be from the stings. I agree with Cowboy, take some benadryl and if that doesn't work, call your doctor.
Good luck to you!!!!

Really, I would think that the overall reaction I'm experiencing would've started from the day of the sting, not a week later. But they were some wicked bites, actually my stitches are healed and yet the wasp stings are still healing! Def. some mean .......s those things.

did they give you any meds after the stitches? Doxycycline makes me itch like crazy...:blink:
nowadays according to the ER doc who did my stitches, they're loathe to prescribe anti-biotics. They gave me plenty of bacitracin cream which I used while the cut was healing, but didn't notice any itching or allergic symptoms during.

Lcstyle

Dec 14, 2013
Lcstyle
Not a doc but.... sounds to me your immune system has hit overload leaving you with a hives-type reaction to anything it "sees" as an attack... like a scratch. You might not have all the hornet venom out of your tissues, etc...... Just hope its temporary and in the meantime might help to take a daily Loratadine (that's the generic name cause its cheaper)... you can get the Equate brand at Walmart. If you don't want to do that, you can spray a scratch with benadryl spray from the first aid section but I wouldn't spray big areas like whole arm for instance and I wouldn't take benadryl instead of loratindine cause it makes you sleepy and thickens mucous in case you get any congestion. Hope that helps.

PS: My allergies began with getting stung by a whole hive of yellow jackets as a kid... yeh, life-threatening... and the consequence is that each year there is
something new my immune system goes into full defense with.

ROGER That, I've been thinking this whole time maybe those hornet stings have caused problems elsewhere. They were some MEAN MF'ers.
Yeah I think you're right, all this stuff combined's prob making me extra sensitive.

PixieSkull

Aug 4, 2014
North Dakota, USA
It's not uncommon to have new reactions after a major irritant goes through. Anything that could be similar in makeup or absorbed randomly vs steadily has the potential to become a new allergen.

One of my besties works with the allergy lab at her hospital job. She tells me that there are cases of people developing new allergies from being inundated with allergens and immune-decreasing drugs at once (like a massive hornet venom+antibiotics combo).

Lcstyle

Dec 14, 2013
Lcstyle
It's not uncommon to have new reactions after a major irritant goes through. Anything that could be similar in makeup or absorbed randomly vs steadily has the potential to become a new allergen.

One of my besties works with the allergy lab at her hospital job. She tells me that there are cases of people developing new allergies from being inundated with allergens and immune-decreasing drugs at once (like a massive hornet venom+antibiotics combo).

Hey thanks that's really informative!

as an update my Primary Care Physician couldn't make heads or tails of it, said I should pick up 10mg Claritin. I took one yesterday and boy does that stuff make me feel weird. I also stopped vaping yesterday before I took the claritin. So that would make yesterday the last day I had an allergic reaction, as I've been fine all day, though I know claritin lasts about 24hrs. I decided to go dry on the ecig for a few days to see if it stops. If I have an attack in the next few days while I'm 100% cold turkey, then I'll know it's something else that's going on.

BTW did I mention nic withdrawals suck? Here was my choice : Allergic itchy hot rash all over - OR - Nic Withdrawal. Not very much of a choice is it? I could just pop another claritin and vape away but I'm trying to rule it out once and for all.

OK Pixie thanks again for the reply and ill send my regards to all you lucky and free people out there in North Dakota!

73's
~LC

Lcstyle

Dec 14, 2013
Lcstyle
So I confirmed its a new allergy to Vape. I don't know if its specific to a particular Ejuice or whether its specific to PG or VG.

I stopped vaping Thursday, last week. I was fine all weekend. Sunday night I took a few hits (like 3 very light hits). I was fine then, except for a little itchiness when I woke up Monday. It subsided and the intensity was so low, it wasn't that noticeable. So I went ahead and vaped happily away Monday. Today I get a full blown itch reaction and hives all over and had to take a Claritin.

Maybe I'll stay off it for a while and smoke cigars in the meantime. Definitely don't want to go back to cigarettes.

Anyways, that's my confirmation.

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
If you've got it whipped, very good! If not, here's another suggestion. I was having generalized itchiness as well for quite a long time, started in just one spot but over time covered more and more of my body. Nothing visible except if I scratched my skin raw. I had changed laundry detergent some months back and thought it might be that, so went back to what I'd been using before the itch. For a few days, the itching seemed to disappear, but then it came back. Finally consulted my dr. and she said that numerous people she's seen with bad cases of skin itchiness have responded well to taking daily Pepcid Complete plus an All Day Allergy pill, both available over-the-counter. So I tried that and the itchiness has been absent ever since. That's been about 3 months ago.

Good luck!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
So I confirmed its a new allergy to Vape. I don't know if its specific to a particular Ejuice or whether its specific to PG or VG.

I stopped vaping Thursday, last week. I was fine all weekend. Sunday night I took a few hits (like 3 very light hits). I was fine then, except for a little itchiness when I woke up Monday. It subsided and the intensity was so low, it wasn't that noticeable. So I went ahead and vaped happily away Monday. Today I get a full blown itch reaction and hives all over and had to take a Claritin.

Maybe I'll stay off it for a while and smoke cigars in the meantime. Definitely don't want to go back to cigarettes.

Anyways, that's my confirmation.

Well, you can try elimination. Or Swedish snus!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread