Surprise!!!!!! I changed my mind. Now I have a question (or two)......before trigger is pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
I have read threads here for the last three days trying to avoid the redundant question I am about to ask but I can't read anymore. So please indulge me once more. Please. I research the crap out of everything so here I go.

I posted before I was going to buy the LP Grand and was ready to pull that trigger but after some research and thought I want to try a cartomizer so I am thinking the Grand will be a better fit than the LP. My concern is that I won't be able to do huge wild quad coil builds someday if the urge arises. I really don't see that happening but who knows.

I have never used a carto but have used the Igo-W on my MVP 2 (which sucked btw) so I have wrapped a few coils with a bit of success. I like the sound of the ease and convenience of the carto from what I have read here but leakage sounds like problem. Thanks for complicating things you carto users!

I have purchased some quality vape (Ahlusions), batteries AW IMR 18650 3.7v 1600mAh, now the Reo, and accessories.

I am thinking I can use a smaller RBA on the Grand and try a carto or atomizer if I want. Can you do a double coil build on the Grand? I assume my coils will vape better than the MVP 2? Can you get an extension and have a bigger deck on the Grand? Oh and fyi I am not buying two!!!!!!!! I will not........ Nope.........Uggghhhh

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Oh and fyi I am not buying two!!!!!!!! I will not........ Nope.........Uggghhhh

Me either, and definitely not 3 or 4 ;)

The regular Grand and an RM2, non LP, is a phenomenal vape. You then have the larger catch cup to run cartos with. You can use cartos with an LP but it can get messy. You won't be missing out by going with that combo other than the real estate for big builds. I've heard of people building duals on an RM2 but the space is limited and you run risks of shorting out against the cap if you try and cram too much in.

My :2c:, once you enjoy an RM2, you won't have the desire to use cartos at all. I know I didn't. It would be like driving a Ferrari and wanting to go back to a Ford.

Rob highly discourages the use of extensions on his mods but it can be done. Once again, why? :confused:

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Because cartos have the air holes in the side of the 510 base instead of the side of the carto they can leak juice into the well. Once you get good at the blind squonk that becomes almost a non issue. Yes you can run dual coils on the smaller RBA but it's takes a bit more effort the get every in there.

For most people once they find a sweet spot with an RBA on the Reo the thought of using a carto is horrible. Because of bottom feeding you don't need the juice holding capacity of a carto and the reduced flavor compared to a RBA really seals the deal against them.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
There are 3 of Rob's atties that you can use with the 'regular' Grand - the RM2 (non-LP version), RM3, and IGO. Of those, the RM3 (with a two-hole cap) is really the only one that would support dual coils, should you want to go there. The RM2 is the current gold standard for use with the reo, and I think a lot of us (myself included) would recommend you start there.

You can use a carto if you like, but as many will tell you, once you've used the elegant simplicity and superior performance that is the RM2, you won't want to use cartos again. It's really not hard to build for it, and you can vape away on cartos while you read in here about how to do that. We love to help.

Worst (best?) case scenario - you get a regular grand, start with cartos, learn how to build for an RM2, "graduate" to a taste for big, exotic atties (which need an LP device), send your grand back to Rob to get milled down to LP, and go from there.

Cliven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
UT
Just for fun, I had some cartos and tried one last weekend. I loaded it up, squonked it on the REO, took one vape.....took another vape, took it off and threw it away. I put my RM2 back on shaking my head wondering "WTH was I thinking". RM2 or rebuildable all the way. No carto is going to ever come close to the flavor and vape of the RM2 or Cyclone.

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
This would explain why I could not find much information on cartos for the REO. If you folks aren't using cartos why would you talk about them. Oh yes so the plot thickens...... When I did a single coil build on an IGo-W on my MVP 2 it just was horrid.

So based on what I think I have learned ,the Reo being a mech/bf must heat the coil faster and more evenly to give off better flavor and vapor while the wick stays wet from squonking.? This is a statement/question or whatever you call it that sounds kind of bad if taken out of context.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Not specific to bottom feed. Dripping when done correctly gives much better flavor as you get a prefect amount of fresh juice right on the coil. But it has lots of issues like easy to flood and a pain to carry a bottle and add three drops every other hit. Bottom feeding solves these problems since it can feed juice to saturate the coil but the excess drains back into the bottle so no flooding and no need to carry the bottle and drip. Ever try to drip while driving on a freeway:facepalm:

Now that we've discuss dripping and bottom feed. Rob made the perfect bottom feeder, It is a simple elegant design that is rock solid and just performs even under heavy abuse. It has rebuild kits available and Rob has the best customer service around.

Combine all of those features and that is why the fine folks in Reoville are the happiest vapers around.

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
I had no problem with a lp grand and non rebuildables. How I like to squonk it was squonk untill u see the juice start to come out the side hole then squeeze the button once to burn off any excess liquid for one second then vape 3 hits and repeat. I don't think they are easy to flood. Just squonk once then release most juice gets pulled back in and the first burn gets most excese out. Just don't vape it upside-down like that because it may leak into your mouth. Most of us using non rebuildables, atleast I assume most, don't use cartos tho, we use non rebuildables attys. Like the hh357 and Cisco spec attys

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
My :2c:

If you want the most room to play start with a regular profile Reo. You still have several Reomizer options, plus you have the deeper catch cup if you want to try - any maybe actually use - cartos or stock 510 or 306 attys.

I hated every carto I ever tried until I put one on a Reo. All that freakin' fuss about keeping them topped off - but making sure you don't get liquid down the vent tube at the same time and have it leak all over the place - complete non-issues with a Reo. Squonk away and keep 'em as wet as you want. And Ikenvape has been venturing into new and uncharted territory on carto design so we never know what Isaac is going to come up with there.

Same goes for things like 306 attys. Even carto and stock atty experiences are better and work better bottom feeding.

It's just options - you get to decide which you like and when you like. Some of us get tired of rebuilding and want to take a break.

If you then decide you will never put anything but an RDA on there you can always sell your first love - cough, cough - first Reo and use the funds to replace it with an SL model. Or you can send it back to Rob too and have him mill it down to SL profile for a reasonable cost. More options - and it's all good.

Last edited:

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Are you sure you don't want the LP (low profile) Grand? You might want to research that more because your choice of attys might be limited with the non-LP. Also, you may decide you don't want or need to use cartos or regular attys with your Grand, but are quite happy with the RM2 reomizer, etc.

When I ordered my first Reo about a month ago I ordered the wrong RM2. I got the regular RM2 instead of the "LP" RM2. So during the week that I had to wait for the right one to appear, I used a rebuildable atty. Not even worth discussing. After using the LP RM2, I can't imagine there's anything better. If you have a small length of wire and a piece of cotton, it should take you about 3 minutes to build a good 1.0 Ohm single coil. I leave the cotton legs long and wrap the left one around the left post and back underneath the coil. The other cotton leg I cut shorter but pretty much all the deck is covered with cotton except for the juice hole in the ceramic deck. My coil sits about 3 or 4mm above the hole...the left part of the coil hovering over the right part of the hole. I can get 15 to 25 hits with each squonk. Others here can tell you what they believe are the advantages of using shorter wick legs.

I just wanted to give you something to consider because there is a significant difference between what I believe they call the 'standard' Reo Grand and the LP Reo Grand. I have both the LP Grand and the LP Mini and the LP RM2 looks like it was made for these mods, I think they're the perfect size, a little bit fat but not very tall. They look good on top of the Reos.

Well, good luck, whatever you get you'll be happy with I'm sure. You're smart to research all this stuff before buying. And then you have all those nice colors to consider too. How fun! :)

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
You want BF to take advantage of the Reo. Any RBA will fit on the LP Reos. Not a lot of factory choices but there seems to be more coming out. You can modify or have modified for almost any RBA to BF. Some popular RBAs that are not sold by Rob are;

Chalice, Cyclone, Divo These all work on both the regular and LP Reos.

The list of bigger RBA that only work on the LP is huge, what are you interested in? chances are someone here has tried it.

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
Super X had a woodvil for sale on the classifieds so I bought it. I am pretty darned excited!!!!

jpStfD8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread