Taking care of eliquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_b

Feb 15, 2009
I realize that suppliers walk a fine line and do not want to scare users, but all it takes in the current Big Brother/Soviet climate we live in is one ......ed child to take a swig of this stuff and the fun is over for everyone. Like the stupid kid that ruined my "missile firing" Battlestar Galactica" (70's version) by shooting the missile from his Viper down his own throat. I still resent that dead mongoloid and his no-responsibility-taking parents.:mad: How was I supposed to shoot down evil Cylons hell bent on wiping out human life with a glued-in missile?

This is a very narrow band of people who can sympathize with the pain felt here. I am one my brother... I am one of them. You take your viper out to play, it get's lost in the dirt pile brought in by your father every summer as your special treat, but really unbeknownst to you to level the low spots in the yard , go to the store to buy a new viper and what do you know a frackin glued in missile...

StoneE4

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Chicago
So it's not magic like my mom used to tell me?

Using pressure to force a refrigerant into a superheated gaseous state and then (within the same sealed system) change it into a subcooled liquid in order to absorb the minute amount of heat in your freezer so that it can hold a relatively constant temperature of about 0° F ?

One could probably come up with a better term, but "magical" works well enough for me. ;) :D

kender

Moved On
Mar 9, 2009
USA
StoneE4
Your dead on with your superheat and subcooling. Most people (the ones that work with it) don't even understand it.

Its nice that the e-liquids from Totally Wicked has toxic warning labels on them. Without proper labels law suits will follow. And after that we have to be warned that the coffee is HOT and not to iron your cloths while wearing.

mikalares

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Kentucky USA
For those of you losing flavor, I've read some things on this forum about taste buds changing/growing too accustomed to one flavor and that switching flavors around will help to keep your favorites tasting like your favorites. I've found some truth to this and, therefore, I keep a wide variety of flavors I enjoy on hand and switch them out often.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
For those of you losing flavor, I've read some things on this forum about taste buds changing/growing too accustomed to one flavor and that switching flavors around will help to keep your favorites tasting like your favorites. I've found some truth to this and, therefore, I keep a wide variety of flavors I enjoy on hand and switch them out often.

I've experienced this as well and change up my flavors every few days to avoid it. I remember reading years ago about the ability of the brain to filter out tastes and smells that have become too common in a bid to allow us to process the more important smells and tastes that could indicate danger, etc.

Bitteryouth79

May 2, 2009
Cali
Anything suspended in PG_a bridge for specified polar/non poloar molecules_ refrigeration should be fine(PG is an alcohol with OH bonds). If anything solid comes out of solution then just take the juice to room temp and mix until all solids have redissolved. I have only seen sugar type solids and some solid extracts come out of PG under refrigeration and if this is the case the safety of vaping those liquids rich in sugar might be in question.....

I refrigerate my juice and no solids have yet to come out:)

Hanna

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
I would think simply due to the fact that you are inhaling something into your lungs that you would want that product to be clean, sterile if possible. For example, if your hands are not washed properly before handling things that come into contact with the liquid you could transfer all kinds of bacteria etc to the liquid, and of course then you would be inhaling that. For the same reasons I would think it would be wise to keep it tightly covered, both to keep contaminates out and to keep the liquid from evaporating.

I had been thinking maybe I could mix up one batch of liquid and not have to mess with it for....x months. I am rethinking that in light of this discussion. I think I can probably be bothered to do the mixing once a week. And I will sterilize my containers as part of the recipe. This is one of those things that may not be necessary, but it is also something that cannot hurt, and may well keep you out of a heep of trouble.

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
No loss of strength noticed here with e-liquid stored at room temperature in a closed bottle for 6 weeks....I agree with the general consensus on this thread that the liquid seems to be pretty stable. Though to be a little safer, my spare 30-ml bottle is in the fridge.

As for freezing, I'd think it'd probably work, but obviously you don't want to commit a huge stash to any risk. Maybe a smal-scale experiment would help - try freezing a small amount in a suitably small, sealed container (plastic, not glass, or it might crack). The problem might be getting the container - you could wait till a bottle of e-liquid is nearly empty and just freeze that, or maybe use a contact lens fluid container (wash it out well first). Generally, it's the freeze-thaw cycle that does the damage to most things, rather than the prolonged duration in the cold, though you never know. It'd be interesting to see whether the stuff will freeze at all, using normal domestic freezer temperatures (around -20 degrees centigrade).

One confounding factor could be oxygen - a small amount of liquid in a relatively large container is exposed to a relatively large amount of air, and therefore oxygen, which might conceivably oxidise some ingredients. But you're not going to freeze your main stash in that fashion, you'd be freezing filled bottles which contain a lot less air - so if you can't find a really tiny container for your experiment, then if the experiment shows no degradation, your stash will be safe, but if the experiment shows it goes off, it doesn't really prove anything.

It's probably fine to just store it well-sealed in a cool, dark place, rather than take any risks by sailing into uncharted waters.

Cartridge stability may be another matter - Gamucci recommend consuming within 2 weeks after opening. That might be just to sell more carts, though my own experiences suggest they may well deteriorate. Presumably there's more scope for oxygen to attack the liquid in a cartridge. That applies to the ones you refill yourself as well.

But it's difficult to be sure - somebody's mentioned that the brain can adjust to the flavour of your favourite e-liquid over time, and make it seem like your stash is losing its strength. And rather like cigarettes, I find the first one of the day can taste stronger than after I've had a few. I'm seriously considering abstinence just to heighten the pleasure when I start again.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
If anyone is interested in professional advice about eliquid then this thread should be of interest - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ufacturer-supply-over-90-e-liquid-market.html

Dekang have been answering questions about their eliquid there.

They say that a cool dark place with the lid firmly sealed is the way to store. It doesn't seem to matter if you put eliquid in the fridge/freezer or not. (I might have misread so double check for yourself if you want to be sure.) This might only apply to their formula which I think is based on propylene glycol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread