taking the plunge - a bunch of questions (particularly which extras i should order alongside my reo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yinsen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2014
steel city, australia
hey guys,

i've finally realised that this has to happen - i'm still not 100% sold on the whole box mod thing but dripping on the go just sounds too good to not tackle head-on.

i'm going to get a reo grand asap, and i had a few questions if you guys would like to share!

1a. i'm particularly interested in the orange reo with black wrinkle door - does anyone else have this? how do you like it?
1b. i know color is of course subjective - but is there anything to keep in mind when choosing colors? do some look better than other in light or some tarnish quicker or some that are universally loved or some that can be patina'd?

2. is there any reason to get a reomizer 3, 4, 5, or any other rba than a reomizer 2? all i see is that the rm2 seems to be the most commonly used rda, but is there a top-end one everyone ends up settling on anyway that i should just plunge into now?

3. what else should i put in my cart? i already have batteries, chargers, cleaning supplies etc - i figure some extra bottles would be good, do i also need tubes? o-rings? button covers? i'd like to grab a bunch of stuff straight away so i don't suddenly realise i forgot something crucial and then have to wait for it.

thanks so much!

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
If your just getting 1 REO Grand, you should first decide if you want the Regular REO Grand or the LP REO grand. The latter, can accomadate the RM4 and RM5 as well as other Dual coil, Fat Atty (Cyclone with AFC, etc), sub Ohm RBA's out there. Lots of folks here have more than one REO just for that reason alone. :vapor:

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
1b. i know color is of course subjective - but is there anything to keep in mind when choosing colors? do some look better than other in light or some tarnish quicker or some that are universally loved or some that can be patina'd?

The are all lovely, the copper vein is stunning but will darken over time unless you clear coat it on arrival. Silver hammertone seems to be the toughest finish, Black wrinkle is very popular and has a great feel.
2. is there any reason to get a reomizer 3, 4, 5, or any other rba than a reomizer 2? all i see is that the rm2 seems to be the most commonly used rda, but is there a top-end one everyone ends up settling on anyway that i should just plunge into now?

Before delving into the others get the RM2, it's the gold standard for flavor and ease of use. IF you are already a dual coil lung burner go for one of the bigger ones.
3. what else should i put in my cart? i already have batteries, chargers, cleaning supplies etc - i figure some extra bottles would be good, do i also need tubes? o-rings? button covers? i'd like to grab a bunch of stuff straight away so i don't suddenly realise i forgot something crucial and then have to wait for it.

Button cover, o rings 1x10 and 1.5x10 for sure.
spare spring, if you have a short it drops to protect the battery and you will need to replace it.
If you get the RM2 get a spare screw set, they are easy to loose in a rug.

I agree with getting the LP version. Opens up more options in what RBA you run. Only reason not to get LP is if you plan to use old school attys or cartos instead of RBAs.

Congrats on a great choice. I was very skeptical myself and now own 8 Reos.

yinsen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2014
steel city, australia
thanks guys! pretty keen on the kawasaki green with black wrinkle, but the non SL LP is out of stock - so now i have another two questions:

how often do mods get restocked? would i be in for a long wait if i wanted that one? and if so...
reckon you could sell me on the SL version? why would i choose an SL over a standard if it's an extra $20 or so for less metal?

cheers :>

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
SL is lite weight in the pocket, looks cool. requires more machining and man hours to make all those cuts.

PM Rob, Redeyedancer. Often times he's able to fill out of stock requests in a few days. Over half of my orders are done via PM for things out of stock and they are typically shipped within a week or so.

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
thanks guys! pretty keen on the kawasaki green with black wrinkle, but the non SL LP is out of stock - so now i have another two questions:

how often do mods get restocked? would i be in for a long wait if i wanted that one? and if so...
reckon you could sell me on the SL version? why would i choose an SL over a standard if it's an extra $20 or so for less metal?

cheers :>

I like the SL, and have a couple of them, but if you are out often and get your hands (or dusty environment) dirty, the SL are a bit more difficult to clean and shine up, especially if you get a Brass SL REO. Hence, I use more of one of Regular or LP REO's when I'm out in the fields, baseball/football, outdoor stuff. :vapor:

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
If you do get the RM2 make sure you get the low profile RM2 if you decided on a LP REO Mod. Just my opinion, I love the RM2's but the Dual Coil RM3 has been working extremely well for me and gives you the ability to use with dual coil or single coil. Presently, using a Dual Coil RM3, with only a single coil build, and it has been preforming stellar! The RM3's are also easier to clean since all stainless steel construction. :vapor:

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
All good advice above, but I'd suggest you get the "rebuild kit" rather than extra spring. That way, you'll have most everything you could possibly need in the (rare) event of an "issue" with the REO.

I'm not a "lung burner", but I heartily second the RM2, it doesn't get any simpler, and the vape is outstanding, comparable to attys costing as much as a REO (or, so I've heard). The RM2 is available in both an "LP" version and non-LP (which fits the "standard, non-LP" grand). Performance from either should be identical, so the suggestion to go LP is good if you like to fiddle and tweak and try all sorts of new attys. If you're like me, and just want simple, rock solid, hassle free, go with the standard.

It's a good bet you'll wind up buying more REOs (backups, ya know LOL), so you could always go with standard, then try an LP next time around.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
The are all lovely, the copper vein is stunning but will darken over time unless you clear coat it on arrival. Silver hammertone seems to be the toughest finish, Black wrinkle is very popular and has a great feel.

Before delving into the others get the RM2, it's the gold standard for flavor and ease of use. IF you are already a dual coil lung burner go for one of the bigger ones.

Button cover, o rings 1x10 and 1.5x10 for sure.
spare spring, if you have a short it drops to protect the battery and you will need to replace it.
If you get the RM2 get a spare screw set, they are easy to loose in a rug.

I agree with getting the LP version. Opens up more options in what RBA you run. Only reason not to get LP is if you plan to use old school attys or cartos instead of RBAs.

Congrats on a great choice. I was very skeptical myself and now own 8 Reos.

Follow the Beast. He knows. Now, you must start considering which Reo you will order within a week of getting your first one. Don't laugh cause it ain't funny. Once you get the first one, the dust will be all over you and you won't be able to resist. MARK MY WORD!!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
All good advice above, but I'd suggest you get the "rebuild kit" rather than extra spring. That way, you'll have most everything you could possibly need in the (rare) event of an "issue" with the REO.

I'm not a "lung burner", but I heartily second the RM2, it doesn't get any simpler, and the vape is outstanding, comparable to attys costing as much as a REO (or, so I've heard). The RM2 is available in both an "LP" version and non-LP (which fits the "standard, non-LP" grand). Performance from either should be identical, so the suggestion to go LP is good if you like to fiddle and tweak and try all sorts of new attys. If you're like me, and just want simple, rock solid, hassle free, go with the standard.

It's a good bet you'll wind up buying more REOs (backups, ya know LOL), so you could always go with standard, then try an LP next time around.

So very true, blind folded you'd have a hard time detecting the subtle differences between my Chalice, RM2, Divo or Cyclone and even an even harder time telling me which was which.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Follow the Beast. He knows. Now, you must start considering which Reo you will order within a week of getting your first one. Don't laugh cause it ain't funny. Once you get the first one, the dust will be all over you and you won't be able to resist. MARK MY WORD!!

That, above, is true for people with a LOT of willpower. *Some* of us actually order a 2nd before the 1st arrives, just sayin' :)

Lillie Bennett

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2014
Virginia
That, above, is true for people with a LOT of willpower. *Some* of us actually order a 2nd before the 1st arrives, just sayin' :)
Happened to me, got the standard w/rm2 and was ordering a lp sl within a week. If I was starting over I would get the lp sl first. Lighter and easier to grab, many of these finishes are slippery.

Tazwell

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Franklin, VA. USA
I got my first REO a few minutes after 5 PM yesterday. Postal service in BFE leaves a lot to be desired. LP Grand, hammer tone with RM4 and black button cap. Forgot to order the rebuild kit and a few extra O rings and bottles. Before midnight, I was back on Robert's site looking for LP 2.1 blems and searching for online coupons, because now I am just about taped out till the next round of disposable income finds it's way into my account . It's got to be something like crack or other evil sickness I tell ya. Do yourself a favor, sure get all the extras you want, but in the long run you will be happier if you get a least two to start. I wouldn't wish the way I feel on anyone, runny noise, bloodshot eyes, looking at my best friend and wondering if I could get enough meals out of him to offset the cost of the next REO. Wondering, how does one sell a child. Craigslist? It is a sickness for sure and you have been warned pal, just buy two or join me in REO hell.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
The are all lovely, the copper vein is stunning but will darken over time unless you clear coat it on arrival.

I was very skeptical myself and now own 8 Reos.

I bought a can of Rustoleum Lacquer yesterday for my copper-vein Reo. It says it's a high lustre coating that gives a factory-like finish on metals. Is this the stuff I should use?

Also, how long after spraying does my Reo need to dry before I can use it? I guess this stuff is flammable if a vapor or wet?

So you have 8 Reos? This is not fair. It's unequal. I will send you my address so you can send me some of your Reos to help to promote equality. :D

Alamedean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Alameda, CA
I bought a can of Rustoleum Lacquer yesterday for my copper-vein Reo. It says it's a high lustre coating that gives a factory-like finish on metals. Is this the stuff I should use?

Also, how long after spraying does my Reo need to dry before I can use it? I guess this stuff is flammable if a vapor or wet?

So you have 8 Reos? This is not fair. It's unequal. I will send you my address so you can send me some of your Reos to help to promote equality. :D

TWF let me introduce you to Nerak. TWF this is Karen. Karen this is TWF. Karen, TWF would like your address.

I won't say how many Reos Karen has but suffice it to say, she has more than 8.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
TWF let me introduce you to Nerak. TWF this is Karen. Karen this is TWF. Karen, TWF would like your address.

I won't say how many Reos Karen has but suffice it to say, she has more than 8.

This is nothing short of shocking! I'm calling the Feds. And no, Karen needs my address. :)

And who is Nerak? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread