Temperature control (TC) with intricate builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
Germany
So it turns out i did not look at my wire types. My bad. The helix coil was actually with a Ni80 centre wire and also helixed with Ni80. Couldn't get that going. Had the same issue that Shawn Hoefer was describing. Might be the Ni80 that is causing it to jump back to Wattage mode. I even tried to clip the helix and centre wire from the clamp on the OBS Crius2...without success. Could be that SS mixed with Ka works but SS mixed with Ni80 doesn't. Going to check that theory out :nah::unsure:

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    ...without success. Could be that SS mixed with Ka works but SS mixed with Ni80 doesn't. Going to check that theory out
    You could simulate/understand your theory by using Steam-engine's help. In Wire Wizard, there's a field called 'TC Precision'.
    Copied from over there ........
    'The TC precision number in the Wire Wizard is an attempt to describe how easily a mod can sense the temperature of a coil. A higher number means that you should have more precise temperature control.
    The number is the product of the two most important factors for temperature control; the TCR and the base resistance. It is calculated by multiplying TCR * R * 1.000.000.'

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
    Germany
    You could simulate/understand your theory by using Steam-engine's help. In Wire Wizard, there's a field called 'TC Precision'.
    Copied from over there ........
    'The TC precision number in the Wire Wizard is an attempt to describe how easily a mod can sense the temperature of a coil. A higher number means that you should have more precise temperature control.
    The number is the product of the two most important factors for temperature control; the TCR and the base resistance. It is calculated by multiplying TCR * R * 1.000.000.'

Thanks a lott for the tipp!

For some reason I am too stupid to read the graphs and numbers. Going to look into that some time. I have tried another coil though in my OBS Crius2. It is a split Clapton coil. .40mm SS with a .20mm Ni80 Clapton, 6 wraps (don't know how to count the fold in terms of wraps, maybe 7?) around a 2.5mm Diameter bit. The Ni80 apparently wasn't the problem in my last test, going to try and figure out what went wrong with my helixed coil. Any ideas what might have been the problem there?
    I have made 2 pictures for the evidence :cool::thumb::D

Attachments

• 20190424_124503.jpg
      3.7 MB · Views: 13
    • 20190424_125354.jpg
      3.5 MB · Views: 14

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 10, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    I've enjoyed TC on my DNAs for a long time, since the DNA40. I have a stack of Kanthal and Ni200 that I have no use for since SS.

Not exactly an intricate coil, but I have had a lot of luck with twisted KA1/Ni200.

I don't bother with changing the TCR or a custom CSV. I just use a Nickel profile and adjust the temp to taste......works a treat!

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
    Germany
    I've enjoyed TC on my DNAs for a long time, since the DNA40. I have a stack of Kanthal and Ni200 that I have no use for since SS.

Not exactly an intricate coil, but I have had a lot of luck with twisted KA1/Ni200.

I don't bother with changing the TCR or a custom CSV. I just use a Nickel profile and adjust the temp to taste......works a treat!

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the input!

I handle the mixture of wire almost exactly the same. Adjust temp for flavour and the wattage for how quick I get there. have you made any experience mixing Ni80 with Ni200? I'm not a big Ni200 vaper so it would be very informative if you do :thumbs:

Reactions: laurie9300

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 10, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Awesome. Thanks a lot for the input!

I handle the mixture of wire almost exactly the same. Adjust temp for flavour and the wattage for how quick I get there. have you made any experience mixing Ni80 with Ni200? I'm not a big Ni200 vaper so it would be very informative if you do :thumbs:
    No sorry, I've never used Ni80, but there's no reason it won't work the same way......

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
    Germany
    No sorry, I've never used Ni80, but there's no reason it won't work the same way......

I don't know. I've for instance made more successful experiences mixing Kantal with for instance Stainless steel than mixing Stainless steel with nichrome. Most of the builds i am testing are staggerd fused claptons or simple claptons. Could have been that they dont go too well together, just asking for personal preference :unsure:

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
    Germany
    which wire heats faster nichrome or stainless

Well, Nichrome has a much higher resistance than Stainless steel. If a wire has more resistance then it will heat up quicker. Pure Nichrome won't work for very well for TC thought. In theory it should work better than Kantal since there is almost always some Nickel mixed in there. Nickel is TC compatible. Also the reason why I don't understand my result of more success with SS316 mixed with Ka :blink::?:

basilia

Moved On
    May 24, 2019
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Spam
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread