Temperature Control Testing Results: YiHi Sx Mini G Class (YiHi SX550j board)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieGeek

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2020
Temperature control testing results for the YiHi Sx Mini G Class are now available here and there are some particularly interesting issues to discuss imho: imgur.com/a/os23png

or

Temperature Control Testing Results: YiHi Sx Mini G Class (YiHi SX550j board) : electronic_cigarette

TLDR: This is an unusual one. You can get a sense from these charts of where the YiHi SxMini G Class got its reputation for being fast, accurate and smooth in temperature control mode, especially for when it came out a few years ago. But this mod created a range of challenges for our testing methodology and rig because of the pulsed (PWM) approach it takes to temperature control. What we do know for sure is that it does dry hit protection, and the temperature outcome falls within within a fairly narrow range that averages out to a fairly accurate and flat result, if a smidge too hot in most cases. But if what we are seeing is real, there may be a key difference that arises with this kind of temperature control method, where high fixed high power pulses produce rapid, tight, almost sawtooth changes in temperature in a narrow band. This is happening so fast it cannot be perceived in most states. This may be the basis for some of the subjective preferences for YiHi/PMW mods I have heard, such as it feeling "punchier" and producing better flavour (possibly from higher temperatures being reached which may have implications for those seeking to avoid thermal decomposition of their juice). Some insights may be drawn from the oscilloscope image at the end

Last edited:

AussieGeek

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2020
Can you tell us what you found? Your link is not working.
Unfortunately ECF doesnt seem to cope with imgur posts/links (or at least whenever I paste in a link, it just gives black boxes), so you will have to copy and paste the link manually. Does that not work for you? What I found is described in substantial detail with words and pictures that is too hard to re-edit and format here. If there is some other way I can share the post I spent many hours putting together, please let me know as I do want to share the information here, but not at the cost of significant additional work (at least not when people can just copy the link).
This set of results in particular is very much worth looking at because I think some unique findings were uncovered with regards to the differences between PWM and DC methods. I hope you are able to consider them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread