Tesla - Just my Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
teslablack.jpg teslachrome.jpg Ok, PBusaro hated it right out of the box. I got one anway. I've had it about six weeks and have put it through the paces and wanted to share in case anyone was looking for a relatively inexpensive mod without going for the full ProVari.

First off, I have a ProVari and have had one for a long time. It's fantastic as one would expect. I just wanted an inexpensive back-up/companion MOD to go with it throughout the day.

The looks of it - if you like sci-fi you'll probably love it. I got the black one. Looks like something from a Doctor Who episode or a piece of equipment from the Nostromo. It's considerably lighter weight than it looks. I really can't decide whether it's plastic or aluminum, but is very resistant to scratching and holds up well. I use the red AW IMR 18650 batteries (get a good 12 hours out of one), and it looks cool coming through the slits in the side. It's quite a lot larger than the ProVari, but I have big hands and the size is perfect for me. The ridges on the sides make it very easy to hold. The downside is you may not be able to slip it into a pant/shorts pocket as easily as the ProVari.

To address Phil's complaints: Yes, but buttons are above the OLED screen. That is quite dumb. It hasn't been an issue for me since I set it and forget it, but if you're someone who likes fiddling with menus, it will bug you. I found the menus easy to navigate, but you have to be pretty quick on the buttons. The threads are extremely squeaky, but a bit of Noalox fixed that. The venting on the side and end cap for the battery does seem redundant, but it's a part of the styling you'll either like or not. I personally like it. I didn't have to adjust the spring like Phil mentions in his video. The fire button is large which I like. There's a little 'wobble' to it, but I didn't think it was bothersome.

A real plus to it is the spring pin in the 510 connection. Sometimes (for me anyway) Protanks act strange on the Provari and won't fire because the connection on the tank is just a tad too recessed. I'm sure it's user error on my part, but the spring pin on the Tesla eliminates that. The 510 connection is a touch raised from the edges of the device, so air flow is great.

In the end, this thing performs beautifully. I have it sitting side-by-side with my ProVari and love using both throughout the day. Sometimes I find myself going for it since it's a whole different feel. I paid a little less than half of what I spent for the ProVari and feel I got a good product. That being said, if anything ever happened to my ProVari, I would probably replace it. It's like owning a Jaguar, but having a Kia for a daily driver. Kia's are nice too. :)

Got it at Vapor Alley, but lots of places carry it, including our local B&M store. :2c:

Syzygy

Jul 13, 2012
Sebring, FL
Love my Tesla. I use the "Tesla Hold" and it helps with the button issue.

Place the Tesla into the curve of your hand with the fire button resting on your index finger (base)
Close your hand around the unit so the thumb is resting on the flat spot under the screen
To use the menu buttons tilt your hand so the the palm is facing up.
Use the SIDE of your thumb to manipulate the buttons, the screen remains easy to see
Use the base of your index finger to activate the fire button.

The Tesla seems designed to fit into the curve of the hand.

I also have a Provari, I much prefer the Tesla menu and the ability to set it to show resistance, power or battery when firing. I really miss that on the Provari.

djtonyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2010
Big Pine Key
View attachment 229541 View attachment 229542

I really can't decide whether it's plastic or aluminum, but is very resistant to scratching and holds up well.

It's a really light aluminum alloy. I love mine!!! It's got a great feel to it, and even though it's one of the larger mods out there, it's very comfortable to hold. I'm waiting patiently for the iTaste 134 to be released, not only because I want one sooooooo bad, but it'll make the Tesla look svelte in comparison... :)

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
Love my Tesla. I use the "Tesla Hold" and it helps with the button issue.

Place the Tesla into the curve of your hand with the fire button resting on your index finger (base)
Close your hand around the unit so the thumb is resting on the flat spot under the screen
To use the menu buttons tilt your hand so the the palm is facing up.
Use the SIDE of your thumb to manipulate the buttons, the screen remains easy to see
Use the base of your index finger to activate the fire button.

The Tesla seems designed to fit into the curve of the hand.

I also have a Provari, I much prefer the Tesla menu and the ability to set it to show resistance, power or battery when firing. I really miss that on the Provari.

Thanks for that Syzygy - it seems I've naturally gravitated to doing it that way. While sitting down after dinner to watch TV, it just rests naturally in the hand. Even more so than the Provari since it's bigger and doesn't slip.

djtonyb: I will have to check out the iTaste 134 too!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Funny. After having a Tesla now for several weeks... it's too heavy. By the end of a full day of use I just find the weight of the Tesla tiresome to deal with. "5 pound cigarette" is the only thing that comes to mind for some reason.

There's a lot I do like about the Tesla, but the weight of the thing isn't one of them. Full review next week. (As soon as I can get to my digital scale.)

djtonyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2010
Big Pine Key
These things have a menu? I thought you could just turn it on and off as well as change the voltage.

Hold down the "+" button for a bit, it displays the ohms and then flips to the menu. If you hold the "-" button down for a while, it displays remaining battery voltage. When you're in menu mode, "+" scrolls through options 1-3, and "-" incrementally changes the current menu option. Menu option 1 allows you to change between VV and VW. Menu option 2 allows you to change what's displayed when the fire button is pressed... Voltage, Resistance, or Battery Voltage. Menu option 3 allows you to turn the display off or on. If you hold the "-" and "+" both down for a few seconds, it will lock the settings in place until you press them both down again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread