Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Some more love for the Swirl, Bavarian Cream and Vanilla Cream, that is good to hear. I was worried I was barking up the wrong creamy tree with TFA.

I have tried the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream which I believe is the Diketone rich version of the Gelato, it is an interesting flavour, quite spicy in the lead up to maturity, then mellows out and gives a nice lingering taste on the exhale. It needs more body for me though, I am not sure how to explain it, but it just lacks heaviness or depth or something.
You might try adding some whipped cream and/or Marshmallow to that V.B.I.C for that extra body!

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I have been using TFA almost exclusively and my mixes generally top out around 30% flavor (I like 'em full flavor). Creams of one kind or another usually are about 1/4 of that total but some are quite a bit higher like with my sweet menthol cream. That one is almost all creams I guess you could say as it's 12.5% Creme de Menthe, 12.5% Whipped Cream plus 2% each of Sweetener, Menthol and Koolada. This has been an ever evolving recipe for me..I tend to adjust it slightly every time I mix a new bottle ~lol~

WoW! Save some cream for the rest of us!
I might have to try a toned down version of that recipe at some point in the not too distant future, sounds like a nice mix, although a quick vape at the current percentages and I would surely never have blocked sinuses again!

I agree on the adding marshmallow, that is a good shout, it should add some body to it.
And well played on the acronym, it is certainly needed for such an annoyingly long flavouring title, TFA should really change it, it will save them a fortune on printer ink.

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Yeah the vanilla swirl and bavarian creams (both versions) are popular tfa flavors...so you got coconut in the msr? Been so long, but i got rice like a cooked rice that was lightly sweetened, and yeah um mango of course(not Capella sweet mango though) always wondered how the heck they did it, ???? I really liked that one a lot. So if you ever find rice or get a recipe close to msr, let me know!

The other one I was thinking of earlier was fa fresh cream...sgt rock offered great suggestions on the wc and mm for those thickening mouth feel flavors

It's gonna be good for you mixing, nice being able to really hone in on things per your tastes, fun too

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I am absolving myself from any responsibility for this!
I would rather have the cheese taste with a dry cracker pair, or maybe with some Marmite flavouring.
I wont suggest trying the cheese with grapes, cranberry or apricot, although now that I think about it...

Well, I won't be trying it out, because of the diketones. But those who don't worry about those might find it a useful tip. maybe...?

Andria

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
All milk flavours remind me of dried milk that has gone rancid. Yukk! Pure waste of money. I don't mean the creams of course - those are in most cases beautiful but all the milks I got, dairy or condensed are just horrible.

I am leaning towards this way of thinking, but I will reserve full condemnation of them for when some of my mixes containing only 1.5% Dairy have steeped...

I have diluted some of my mixes (that contain TFA Dairy 3% +) with 50% unflavoured and they are still pretty grim. I can & will vape them though, simply because I have 2 weeks to wait before anything else is ready :/
I should have known better considering I was in the boy scouts as a kid.

Reactions: Papillon61

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I am leaning towards this way of thinking, but I will reserve full condemnation of them for when some of my mixes containing only 1.5% Dairy have steeped...

I have diluted some of my mixes (that contain TFA Dairy 3% +) with 50% unflavoured and they are still pretty grim. I can & will vape them though, simply because I have 2 weeks to wait before anything else is ready :/
I should have known better considering I was in the boy scouts as a kid.

That thing about waiting to have something decent to vape? Is exactly why I try to mix in such a way that I NEVER have to steep! Having to rewick daily because there's so much flavoring is a small price to pay just to have something good to vape!

Andria

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
That thing about waiting to have something decent to vape? Is exactly why I try to mix in such a way that I NEVER have to steep! Having to rewick daily because there's so much flavoring is a small price to pay just to have something good to vape!

Andria

OK, due to the mild peer pressure that I have witnessed on this forum (not necessarily directed at me) I will bow down and try a 'shake 'n' vape'.
I just mixed a (strong) Strawberry Custard, so that will be my test candidate.
I am not expecting greatness, I will be satisfied with 'pleasant' along with a distinct lack of cheesiness.

Reactions: AndriaD

disco180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
New York
Had to chime in....

The TFA Dairy flavor is not a main ingredient but supposedly a milk note. You are suppose to add it to a main ingredient that needs a milky note. For every 5% of a main flavor you could add .05% milk to add the note. So if you are using 5% Bavarian Cream/.05 % Milk you will have a milky note in your cream :).

Not to go to far into this but you have to lock that milk note into the flavor first before mixing the flavor....so you would mix the above .05/5% steep it and then add it to your recipe that calls for Bavarian Cream. When you use milk/dairy in your recipe it would be like pouring fresh milk on top of watermelon or candy, etc.

Enough hope you understand :)

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Had to chime in....

The TFA Dairy flavor is not a main ingredient but supposedly a milk note. You are suppose to add it to a main ingredient that needs a milky note. For every 5% of a main flavor you could add .05% milk to add the note. So if you are using 5% Bavarian Cream/.05 % Milk you will have a milky note in your cream :).

Not to go to far into this but you have to lock that milk note into the flavor first before mixing the flavor....so you would mix the above .05/5% steep it and then add it to your recipe that calls for Bavarian Cream. When you use milk/dairy in your recipe it would be like pouring fresh milk on top of watermelon or candy, etc.

Enough hope you understand :)

Ok, that is interesting.
So, if I was making a recipe with 9% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream as the main ingredient I would first mix up 99% VBIC 1% Dairy/Milk (just those two flavours totaling 0.9ml), then let that steep before adding it to the final mixture at my 9% (0.9ml in a 10ml mixture)?
Sounds very weak, are you sure it isn't 10% as opposed to 1%? (EG 5% Bavarian Cream + 0.5% Milk/Dairy)

It may take me years to get through the 20ml I have of TFA Dairy/Milk, money well spent I guess.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
OK, due to the mild peer pressure that I have witnessed on this forum (not necessarily directed at me) I will bow down and try a 'shake 'n' vape'.
I just mixed a (strong) Strawberry Custard, so that will be my test candidate.
I am not expecting greatness, I will be satisfied with 'pleasant' along with a distinct lack of cheesiness.

How'd your shake n vape turn out?

Andria

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Ok, that is interesting.
So, if I was making a recipe with 9% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream as the main ingredient I would first mix up 99% VBIC 1% Dairy/Milk (just those two flavours totaling 0.9ml), then let that steep before adding it to the final mixture at my 9% (0.9ml in a 10ml mixture)?
Sounds very weak, are you sure it isn't 10% as opposed to 1%? (EG 5% Bavarian Cream + 0.5% Milk/Dairy)

It may take me years to get through the 20ml I have of TFA Dairy/Milk, money well spent I guess.
You would be amazed at how far a flavor can actually go. I have made a butterscotch flavor vape standalone @ 15% once, then at 10%. Both times it reminded me of a REALLY STRONG coffee flavor. I have not touched it for 3 months after doing a bunch of mixing of other flavors. I then took what I learned in the process and finally came back to it. I now use 1% and have a wonderful butterscotch flavor. Taste is subjective though.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
How'd your shake n vape turn out?

Andria

It was actually quite nice, tasted a little 'fermented', but on the whole it was quite palatable :)
It was only 15% total (12% VC + 3% Strawberry ripe), so it didn't blow my head off, but the custard did taste a lot stronger than I thought it would after such a short steep time.
I am now semi sold on the whole 'shake 'n' vape' thing, the cheese mixes are making their way through the sewer system as I type this.

Thanks for giving me a gentle nudge, it saved me from eternal cheese breath.

Reactions: AndriaD

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
You would be amazed at how far a flavor can actually go. I have made a butterscotch flavor vape standalone @ 15% once, then at 10%. Both times it reminded me of a REALLY STRONG coffee flavor. I have not touched it for 3 months after doing a bunch of mixing of other flavors. I then took what I learned in the process and finally came back to it. I now use 1% and have a wonderful butterscotch flavor. Taste is subjective though.

That is good to know, I will have to try some batches with less flavouring and see how they work out for me.
Some juices (either bought or made) that I vape seem to taste good initially then they become tasteless, which I assume is due to over-stimulation of tastebuds from too high % flavouring.

Do you ever make 'shake 'n' vape' recipes Ablonz? I mean with relatively low percentages, if so, do they work out alright?

Reactions: baseballmom

disco180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
New York
Ok, that is interesting.

Yeah its really developing a new flavor, and its all about finding the right amount to mix, there are no set rules in DIY as its all subjective. A mix of say

8% Vanilla Bean and 2% Dairy, 5 mil, 100%pg, steeped for awhile to lock the mix yields you a new unique flavor.

You would then use that unique flavor in your recipes to give it your spin :) ..... so

CAP Sweet Strawberry 6%
TFA Dairy/Milk 6%
CAP Vanilla Custard 1%
VERSUS
Cap Sweet Strawberry 6%
TFA Dairy/Milk 6% (using your mix with VBIC)
CAP Vanilla Custard 1%

Would be 2 totally different tasting mixes....

Now you might say you could have just added TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream to the initial mix to get the same taste of the second mix...but that would not be true as adding the Ice cream to the initial mix would allow the ice cream to mix with the custard, strawberry, and milk all together resulting in a different taste.

DISCLAIMER:
The tips I share are for people who enjoy DIY mixing and may upset people who enjoy mixing 5% of a single flavor as an all day vape.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
That is good to know, I will have to try some batches with less flavouring and see how they work out for me.
Some juices (either bought or made) that I vape seem to taste good initially then they become tasteless, which I assume is due to over-stimulation of tastebuds from too high % flavouring.

Do you ever make 'shake 'n' vape' recipes Ablonz? I mean with relatively low percentages, if so, do they work out alright?
Out of all 7 of my "shake n vape" recipes, the highest percentage is 3% for a single flavor. Now with that said, all of mine are 3 plus flavor mixes avg from 9% to 11.5% total amount of flavor in a 30 ml bottle. Like 3% of two flavors, 1% of another, .5% of another and so on. My most complex one has 11 different flavors only totaling to 11.5% flavor.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
OK, so I have been messing with creams and strawberry mixes for a while now...
I tried some mixes with TFA Dairy/Milk @1.5% and the results still came out cheesy. Not the result I was looking for.

So, I decided to ditch the TFA Dairy/Milk for now and move on to FA Cream Fresh...

I made a couple batches using FA Cream Fresh @1.5% along with either TFA Strawberry Ripe or CAP Sweet Strawberry and after 3 weeks steeping the taste is cheesy.
Recipe:
TFA Strawberry Ripe 5%
CAP Sweet Strawberry 3%
CAP Vanilla Custard 3.5%
FA Cream Fresh 1.5%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 1.5%
TFA Marshmallow 1.5%
EM 0.5%
Total flavouring 16.5%

I am now thinking that it may be something to do with what happens when these specific strawberries are mixed with any cream flavour. I have used FA Cream Fresh in some other recipes and the result has no discernible cheddary notes, such as with FA Kiwi.

Has anybody else noticed this kind of relationship between certain strawberries and creams? OR can someone shed some light as to what is leading to the cheesy taste?

All input is much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread