tfv8 baby beast istick pico 75w questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I have an istick pico 75w with an lg2 3000mah 18650. I'm looking into getting a tfv8 baby beast tank. I am wondering if my battery is safe to use with the .15 ohm coil up to 75w, or will it be pulling too many amps? i've done a couple ohm calculators onilne, but i just figured out those only apply to mech mods, not vw mods. How can i calculate the total amount of amps being pulled from the battery, based on the ohms of the coil? Thanks
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
(12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It does to an extent, parallel mods, either reg or mech, have the same advantages and disadvantaged (just as in series does too).

Amp pull is not as harsh (as it's being distributed across the batteries), but less Volts. With a regulated mod, the power is controlled, and the batteries are separated, power is pulled in a controlled balanced approach from each... and why you can pull one battery out (or just put one in and the mod still works but at 75W max.

In series, the Amp is the same as a single battery, but more Voltage. The power is pulled from the two batteries, so the power from one goes through the other battery, should one fail, it could fry the other one too, so why it's really important to marry sets.

Basically, the safe output for batteries is different with a reg. mod as it uses pulse width modulation (PWM) that mech mods can't.

It's basically a case of, using two 20A 2500mah batteries (3.7V):
Parallel = 3.7V, 40A, 5000mah
Series = 7.4V, 20A, 2500mah

So the main difference is that in series, it's about the voltage being pulled, so power consumption is lowered that way, while with parallel, you're pulling from both batteries, so less impact on the the Amps per each. So basically, though battery life does come out fairly similar, the pull on the batteries is different, being much harsher with series, as proportioned to how much wattage you're using.

So series; more instant "kick" when you push the button, parallel; more balanced pull, but overall, it all depends on how you vape and the coils and wattage you need.

Examples:
(going with ohms as the priority, for single (20A), series(20A) and parallel (40A))
  • 0.2 ohm (3.7 V) = 18.5 Amps at 69 Watts (single: still ok but close/parallel GOOD)
    0.2 ohm (7.4 V) = 37 Amps at 274 Watts (Series BAD)

• 0.5 ohm (3.7 V) = 7.4 Amps at 27 Watts (single/parallel GOOD)
    0.5 ohm (7.4 V) = 14.8 Amps at 110 Watts (Series GOOD)

• 1 ohm (3.7 V) = 3.7 Amps at 14 Watts (single/parallel GOOD)
  • 1 ohm (7.4 V) = 7.4 Amps at 55 Watts (Series GOOD)

(going with battery capacity)
  • A single 3.7V, 20A battery maxes out at a 0.18ohm at 74 Watts
  • A dual parallel 3.7V, 40A maxes out at 0.09ohm at 148 Watts
  • A dual series 7.4V, 20A battery maxes out at a 0.3ohm at 148 Watts

It also depends on the metal used and the gauge for the coil. (and why it's so important to use a calculator)

So yes, it does make a difference. As example: If you want to go with a coil that needs needs high wattage, you'd have to go with a series mod, and if you want to go low with your coil (ohms), you need to go with a parallel.

I prefer sticking to parallel for such reasons, plus the fact that I almost never go over 60W (did it maybe once or twice to test a particular build) anyways. (while my parallel mod goes up to 120W in parallel)
If you're talking about regulated mods, as the poster asked about those, this information is wrong. Series isn't harsher on the batteries in a regulated mod.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: gotch23

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
If you're talking about regulated mods, as the poster asked about those, this information is wrong. Series isn't harsher on the batteries in a regulated mod.

Series is passing the power through all the batteries of a set as opposed to parallel where the power is pulled from the batteries individually, so there is a difference.

If you end up with an unmatched pair due to any circumstance, the series will have issues, the parallel, not as much, it's not going to put undue pressure on the other battery as in series would do.

And the pull via Amps, is going to be harsher on series than parallel, reg or mech.

Part of chemistry and electronics 101. I stand with what I've said.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Series is passing the power through all the batteries of a set as opposed to parallel where the power is pulled from the batteries individually, so there is a difference.

If you end up with an unmatched pair due to any circumstance, the series will have issues, the parallel, not as much, it's not going to put undue pressure on the other battery as in series would do.

And the pull via Amps, is going to be harsher on series than parallel, reg or mech.

Part of chemistry and electronics 101. I stand with what I've said.

The amp draw at a specific wattage will be the same whether the regulated mod is series or parallel. Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by "the pull via Amps, is going to be harsher on series than parallel". Please explain what you mean. Unbalanced batteries are most definitely a problem in both. There's no way the mod can choose to pull less from the lower charge battery in a parallel or series setup.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
The amp draw at a specific wattage will be the same whether the regulated mod is series or parallel. Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by "the pull via Amps, is going to be harsher on series than parallel". Please explain what you mean. Unbalanced batteries are most definitely a problem in both. There's no way the mod can choose to pull less from the lower charge battery in a parallel or series setup.

Just simply, if you're pulling 18-19A from a single or series mod, this will be harsh in the batteries, pulling the same from a parallel, pulls half per battery.

Just like it's better to charge a Lithium battery slowly, discharging at a high rate is just as bad for it's life expectancy, plus generates a lot more heat.

A hot battery is not a happy battery.

I stated that the difference might not be much in some ways and it really depends on usage, but still, there is a difference, which was the question.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Just simply, if you're pulling 18-19A from a single or series mod, this will be harsh in the batteries, pulling the same from a parallel, pulls half per battery.

Just like it's better to charge a Lithium battery slowly, discharging at a high rate is just as bad for it's life expectancy, plus generates a lot more heat.

A hot battery is not a happy battery.

I stated that the difference might not be much in some ways and it really depends on usage, but still, there is a difference, which was the question.
Well, you don't seem to understand how this works. At the same wattage the amp draw per battery is the same whether the mod is parallel or series.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Well, you don't seem to understand how this works. At the same wattage the amp draw per battery is the same whether the mod is parallel or series.

Well, going with your resounding proof that you've provided against my 30+ years worth of studying and working with electronics, you've absolutely convinced me... but I'll let you decide what about.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Well, going with your resounding proof that you've provided against my 30+ years worth of studying and working with electronics, you've absolutely convinced me... but I'll let you decide what about.

120w / 6v = 20 amps. Series, double the voltage, 20 amps per battery

120w / 3v = 40 amps. Parallel, amp draw divided between the batteries, 20 amps per battery

What am I getting wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread