The First Coil Build - Not Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
That one coil going up over the top to the screw is no doubt giving you a massive "hot leg". If you were to fire it taken apart as in the top pic, you'd see that part of the coil burn bright red.

Give it some more practice and try wrapping tighter coils. Use that 28ga wire around a 3mm screwdriver. Install the coil on the atty and "pulse" fire it. After each pulse, give it a light squeeze with some tweezers. When you're done, the coil should light from the center out in a nice uniform orange to bright orange collor.

Once you get the coil to that point, then you can start messing with wicking. Until that point, you'll always be fighting "hot legs".

Hope that helps...

Reactions: Caterpiller

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
Update:

Built a 30g, 6 wrap, 2.4mm micro coil, 1.9 ohms.

Took more care over the build and tried to avoid any hot leg issues as advised.

IMG_20150517_012959_edit.jpg

Took time over the wicking and felt I did a better job than previously.

IMG_20150517_014821_edit.jpg

IMG_20150517_014904_edit.jpg

And to my amazement it vaped great!:banana:

No comparison to my nautilus Mini's (which I still love), a much smoother, fuller vapour, and much more of it! :vapor:

Thank you all for your input, but particularly to Roxynoodle for getting me to clean the v4. :thumbs:

I now recognise this was the real, or at least the biggest, issue.

The cotton was a red hearing.

Thank you so much!

chav

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2014
Virginia
Practice building coils, make them nice and symmetrical and even, give them a good dry fire with no cotton and make sure there aren't hot spots. One thing that I found out the hard way, not all kanthal is created equal, I build usually with 28 and 26 gauge, and for some ungodly reason, my 28 started tasting like rust. Both spools from the same vendor, same brand, purchased at the same time, 26 no issues. I found that with my 28 gauge I have to burn it and get it red hot and wipe it down before building with to avoid that weird flavor (I know some people like to burn their wire before building anyways, but I had always found it unnecessary). Just a tip from one to another.

Reactions: Caterpiller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread