The Highping Cart Mod (as simple as it gets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
I have had this thread over in the tips and tricks area for a while, and it seems to be working well for many people.
I have had many requests to move it over here, so here it is...

The problem with the stock filler is that the top of the filler will get dry when the cart is still half full of juice. That's why you will see so many cart mods out there.
I have tried many cart mods (PTB, ZFM, blue foam, white foam, spring, straw, etc, etc) and they all have their issues.

Here's what I do that works like a charm (for me). Pull out the cart filler and cut about 2/3 of the length off of it. You should be left with a piece that is about a half inch long. Now fill your cart most of the way up with juice (leave it about a quarter inch from the top). Then stick the little piece of filler that you cut right on top and gently push it in until it's flush with the rim of the cart.

This method will not only allow you to get more juice in the cart, but that little piece of filler will stay soaked until the cart is completely dry.

I have been using this method with my 510's for a few months now and have never had issues with flooding or filler taste. The carts will hold about 18 drops and will use every drop before vapor drops off.

Here are some pics of mine. (Sorry about the phone-cam quality. Also, my filler really isn't that brown and burnt looking; I think it is a color thing with my cam.)
Pic showing the plug size and shape relative to the cart. Also the line that I fill the cart to with the juice.
pic1bz.jpg

Pic showing what the plug looks like going into the cart. Notice that the bottom is 'pointed' a little. Just kinda ends up that way after 'spreading' the top of it a few times. I spread out the top so it makes a good seal around the cart.
pic2ee.jpg

Pic showing the filler before it is inserted into the atty. Flush with top of cart.
pic3gy.jpg

Pic after the cart has been put on the atty and allowed the bridge to push the filler to the 'right' spot.
pic4ae.jpg

Some other notes based on feedback in the other thread:
- you may have to play with the plug for a bit to get the proper size and density. Basically, if your atty is flooding, make it a little denser and/or longer. If your plug is drying with juice still in the cart, make it shorter and/or less dense.
- the thickness of your juice is going to affect the type of plug you use (but not very much). If your juice is very thick, you may have to make your plug pretty short and loose. If your juice is water thin, you may need a denser/longer plug.
- When I first wrote this tip, it was based on the older style cart filling. I have since noticed that the newer carts are coming with a loose/layered tyoe of filler. If you are starting with this looser/layered type of filler, you may have to compress it a little to make it a little denser.
- I find that just standard (walmart) polyfill is ideal for this method.

* if you want to read some of the existing feedback on this method, check the original thread (in my sig)

esibby

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
Indiana
Sorry for digging this up, but I just have to say...I LOVE THIS! I was getting frustrated with only getting 4-5 drops into my ptb each fill up so I found this in someones sig and figured I would try it out. This works so well its not even funny, I put about 12 drops in and popped the plug in and started vaping away. Had to cut it down a couple times as it was still a little to dense to wic right, but it works now. After a while I was getting no/poly flavor and I got all ...... thinking that yet another mod stopped working so I took the plug out (noticed that it was almost completely dry) and went to just drop the rest of the juice onto a paper towel (not my favorite juice which is why I used it for this, in case it didn't work.) and nothing came out...tap, tap, tap, still nothing. It was bone dry! needless to say I wasn't mad at it anymore! And no leaking even after cutting it down a couple times. The only issue I've found is that no matter what you do...it's still poly, and imo it still saps some of the flavor out of whatever juice you put in, but hey, it work and it works well, so over all I can't complain one bit! Thank you for this idea!

MadScientistVapor

Feb 7, 2010
New Hampshire
Just so everyone knows, I've been using this since I first thought of the concept, thought it wouldn't work-- then an hour later I saw Highping's post over in tips&tricks. I tried it and...woah! That was a couple months ago. I have never needed to try any other mods since; as this mod works great. It's so simple, all you need is pair of scissors around to be ready. Get one of those mini swiss army knives and keep it on your key chain. They have scissors, are portable, and make this even easier.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
My head is spinning! I've been vaping for a month now (no analogs, period) and the cart thing has been my one and only issue. I tried PTB which I really have no complaints as far as taste, vapor production etc. My only beef was having to top off too often and occasional leakage. Then I found the ZFM thread and omg---my desk looks like I performed some sort of major surgery :shock: It worked okay for the first fill up but then started leaking and I went back to the drawing board. So...here I am, coming to the simplest method after passing it by for weeks thinking it couldn't be as good as something complicated and time consuming. I'm here to tell you, I made a plug last night and vaped consistently for over 3 hours (I wish I had actually counted the hours). I had no leakage, no flooding, no bad taste....simply stated....NO PROBLEMS. I used one of the cart fillers that came in a prefilled cart with my kit and trimmed it down to size. You're so right, it just doesn't get any easier than this and the results are gr8t so I marched myself in to Wally World on my lunch break and bought a huge bag of polyfil for $2.50. I should have enough cart filler to last us two for years to come. I made a plug for hubby this afternoon and he's liking it too. I'm timing his to see how long it takes before refill time. Mine was bone dry when I refilled so the waste factor is definitely solved. Thanks a bunch for posting this! I think I'm good to go now. :D

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
My head is spinning! I've been vaping for a month now (no analogs, period) and the cart thing has been my one and only issue. I tried PTB which I really have no complaints as far as taste, vapor production etc. My only beef was having to top off too often and occasional leakage. Then I found the ZFM thread and omg---my desk looks like I performed some sort of major surgery :shock: It worked okay for the first fill up but then started leaking and I went back to the drawing board. So...here I am, coming to the simplest method after passing it by for weeks thinking it couldn't be as good as something complicated and time consuming. I'm here to tell you, I made a plug last night and vaped consistently for over 3 hours (I wish I had actually counted the hours). I had no leakage, no flooding, no bad taste....simply stated....NO PROBLEMS. I used one of the cart fillers that came in a prefilled cart with my kit and trimmed it down to size. You're so right, it just doesn't get any easier than this and the results are gr8t so I marched myself in to Wally World on my lunch break and bought a huge bag of polyfil for $2.50. I should have enough cart filler to last us two for years to come. I made a plug for hubby this afternoon and he's liking it too. I'm timing his to see how long it takes before refill time. Mine was bone dry when I refilled so the waste factor is definitely solved. Thanks a bunch for posting this! I think I'm good to go now. :D

You followed the same road i have. I had the fortune of finding highping's mod as he posted it...never looked back on any other. Started vaping on 7th Febryary and on the 15th this mod saved me.

JustVapingBy

Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
San Francisco, CA, USA
Just wanted to throw in another vote of support and thanks for this mod idea. I used to have to drip to get the vapor and consistency that I wanted. I tried the PTB and spring mods and had uneven performance with them.

Now I just pop the little plug out, fill the cart up, pop it back in and I'm set for quite a while.

Filled carts even seem to travel well- no issues with leakage in transit. Lovely! Thanks, HP!

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
This mod is far way the simplest to do without using any additional stuff. :D Rate this thread guys.

Hey, I have a quick question, how many puffs does it take for you to dry this out?

At 6 volts it dries really fast...but that means it works flawlessly.

Im glad you found this. I am "tired" of trying to open some eyes that really don't look at the KISS method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread