the name "electronic cigarette"

Status
Not open for further replies.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Would you call nicotine gum a chewable cigarette?
sick-green-smiley-face-64x64.gif

disgusting.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
the term electronic cigarette goes all the way back to the Chinese guy who invented it ... blame him ... but also thank him.

Cheers :2cool:

The one he invented probably LOOKED like a cigarette.

Mine looks nothing like one which is why I'd feel silly calling it one.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
When the first came out they all were cigarette shaped.. blucigs still are. Appropriate name.
It's like the word "computer".. sounds like a glorified calculator.. it's more like a media box now.

It's an appropriate name when it looks like a cigarette. When it ceases to look like a cigarette it's a silly name...lol

If they made a car that vaped would we still call it an e cigarette?

Do we think of smartphones the same way we think of desktops?

It just gets really foggy when the device morphs into something long removed from the original.

kimran73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you all for the great discussion. It's awesome to hear opinions on both sides. Thanks for the many laughs too, PENIS and PISS were two of my favorites lol. I think the conclusion is that it's a personal choice, whatever makes you most comfortable when people ask. I originally tried some of those that looked like cigs but didn't like them and my current "stick" is purple with a clear black tank and a flower drip tip, I think cigarette is very far removed lol. Maybe as the non-vaping public becomes more educated on what it really is it really won't matter anymore. I do think though that they tend to look like some sort of illegal paraphernalia and when I'm driving in my car, other drivers tend to look at me weird. I also avoid hitting it if there's a cop around because I don't want to get pulled over because they thought something else-but then again that would be a good education moment???? As they get more popular, they will continue to evolve. Look how far they've come in just 9 years. It'll be fun to see what's out there in another five but we must stay on top of the government, who doesn't really want us to quit smoking no matter what they say. Like another poster said, they are losing big time on taxes so they'll eventually want to tax the heck out of these too.

Thanks again for the lively discussion, I'm glad I asked in here since I don't know too many other people in my daily life who use these.

I think we should go with a military type, acronym based naming convention:

Personal Nicotine Inhalation Device, Glycerine Based, Man Portable, or PNTDGBMP. "PINT-DUH-GIB-UMP". That's practical, right?

And the bonus is, if you can actually say it you win 15 free ml of juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread