The Transition From Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim777

Feb 11, 2012
New London
I seem to be having some trouble making the transition from cigarettes. When I first started vaping, I was amazed at how "authentic" and "satisfying" it was, but now it only seems to make me want a cigarette!
I have three friends at work who have quit smoking in favor of vaping. One insists that you must commit to quitting cigarettes in order for the transition to happen. Another simply found that he preferred vaping, and gradually tapered off smoking down to nothing. The third quit smoking, had a tough time, resorted to cheapo e-cigs, but finally found satisfaction when he got a good unit.
By continuing to smoke & vape at the same time, am I just supercharging my system with nicotine? Friend #2 found that he could only quit smoking when he went to 36mg. juice, so that's what I started with. Mistake? actually I was hoping that I would prefer vaping enough to make me dislike smoking.
Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

EasyBreather

Feb 20, 2012
wpg, mb
I didn't trust vaping when I first started so I always had a smoke with it to be sure I had my nicotine. I used to smoke 2 on breaks and 3 at lunch but cut down to 1 each break along with vaping. I started with 24mg and it was ok but when I got 35mg and started serious 10 minute sessions it didn't even compare to an analogue. Sometimes I literally feel a little stoned! It could be the way I inhale though, I tend to breath real deep while I'm filling my mouth. It could partially be due to all the oxygen I'm getting.

EasyBreather

Feb 20, 2012
wpg, mb
Sounds like for you (like many others), you have to really want to quit cigs. Maybe you just aren't there yet.

That's true. I went about one month when I first got my unit then went back to smoking for a few months. It is a transition and it kind of reminded me of the patch except I didn't have to break the physical habit of taking a drag.

To be honest, I don't beat myself up if I buy a pack when I'm out. I can have a few when I'm at the bar confident that when I come home I'll take the ecig over the smoke because I prefer it. The one thing I never thought I would kick was the love of that morning coffee and smoke, but now, the thought of a smoke in the morning makes me queasy!

I don't know if I would recommend this because it scared me the first time I did it, but get a good hit so you know what it feels like! I know when I've had enough through experience and experimentation. I also know when I didn't quite get there.

Last edited:

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
I didn't trust vaping when I first started so I always had a smoke with it to be sure I had my nicotine. I used to smoke 2 on breaks and 3 at lunch but cut down to 1 each break along with vaping. I started with 24mg and it was ok but when I got 35mg and started serious 10 minute sessions it didn't even compare to an analogue. Sometimes I literally feel a little stoned! It could be the way I inhale though, I tend to breath real deep while I'm filling my mouth. It could partially be due to all the oxygen I'm getting.

I think I am getting a little oxygen buzz, too!!! Not used to it.

serielda

Feb 14, 2012
noa
While I am still new and having some issues myself, I still prefer the vamping over the other, in that after having drastically reducing my analogs down to one I am slowing regaining a sense of smell and I actually am getting to enjoy the perfume my hubby got me for an anniversary gift and smell it as it is with out my sense of smell being inhibited. As for what I am trying today is switching up my evening routine. For instance instead of going out the back door to go smoke I switched to the other entrance and trying using another hand to hold the ecig with to try and divert myself along with actually spending time of when I feel the nag for a regular drawing and learning how to used Adobe C.S 5. so far its working out. So try distracting your mind and changing up your routine for me it seems to work.

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
personally vaping is god send to smokers..i see all the pros and no con in vaping...after 30+yrs on analogs..this device can mimic "smoking" and as a habitual smoker i fully enjoy this new found "hobby" as i happily vape knowingly the vapor i exhale do not harm non-smoker and any1 around me..regards mafig
Mirrors my feelings too. I've tried all the other replacements and always went back to smoking, vaping works for me!
I also like the signature to remind myself how great it is not to smoke analogs...

SuperLuckyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Well, I HAD to quit smoking, or quit breathing, so it wasn't much of a choice. I actually first 'quit' about 5 years ago with the patch, but it was hard. I was still bumming cigarettes, occasionally buying a pack, much to my lungs dismay. Then I discovered vaping, and what a difference! I had my son to guide me through the PV/juice maze, which helped a lot. I last tried to smoke a real cigarette on Christmas Day, but could only manage a few puffs - it tasted and smelled horrible.

Nevertheless, I still myself reaching automatically for a ciggie sometimes, and feel a crushing disappointment when I remember I don't do that anymore. Weird, huh?

I think it's perfectly OK to both smoke and vape for a while, if your lungs will allow it. You should focus on the number of cigarettes you AREN'T smoking, instead of the number you do smoke. Also, have you tried the juices with whole tobacco alkaloids? I haven't myself, but I know some who swear by them. It's pretty well established that nicotine is not the only addictive substance in cigarettes. There are also some other mild anti-depressants that you will not get from e-juice.

Finally, your doctor can prescribe an antidepressant which may help. Talk to him/her.

Good luck. I'm positive you will eventually totally quit cigarettes, but it may not happen as quickly as you hoped.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Some have quit smoking and started vaping. I switched to vaping almost by accident. Basically vaped when I could and smoked when I had to.

The key for me was finding a flavor that satisfied me. Once I found that flavor, and then more that also satisfied, my smoking got less and less and I was getting ready in the morning and discovered I had forgotten to smoke the day before. No stress, no cravings, no desire to smoke again.

First I found a nicotine level that worked, then I found a flavor that worked, and the whole thing worked for me.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
when I first started, if I wanted a cig, I vaped a while first. then if I still wanted one I had it. the second day I was down to 20 cigs a day from 40+. by the next week I was down to 15 a day. by march I was at 2 cigs a day. I didn't worry about how fast I was cutting down, it just happened kind of naturally.
for that first cig of the day, I vaped and waited 10 min, then had the cig. next day I waited 20 mins and then had the cig. soon it was 1 in the afternoon before I had that first cig. the morning one was the hardest for me and the only one I worked on to stop

Paul S

Jan 6, 2012
Excelsior, MN
This is something that will vary from person to person, and there will be as many different "from smoking to vaping" stories as there are vapers. Having some true motivation to quit analogs is certainly going to help. But there are so many ASPECTS of smoking analogs that can be at least psychologically addictive--and psychological addictions can be plenty powerful too! There is the so-called "hand to mouth" fixation; the social aspect; the "cool" aspect; the "taking a smoke break" aspect. Heck, just the look and feel of an analog can become addictive. While the physical nicotine addiction is something to be reckoned with, it is nowhere near ALL of what makes up an addiction to analogs, which is why clinical nicotine replacement therapies have such a low success rate.

xhaler

Jan 30, 2012
Vancouver
After 25 years of smoking and a few failed efforts at quitting, I was introduced to an e-cig by a friend. I never knew these things even existed!!! I was gearing up for my quit date at the time, but knew I wasn't going to quit before my Vegas trip (lol) but I bought my ego-t kit prior to that and tested it out at home at night - instead of going outside...and I brought it with me to Vegas so I could smoke in my room even though I was staying with non-smokers. Once I got back from Vegas, I was ready to embrace vaping full-time and I have not had even a drag from an analog since then (2.5 months ago). I started with 24mg nic liquid to ensure I wasn't having nic fits and the vaping took care of the "oral fixation". I've since lowered the nic level without consequence. Definitely start with high nic level to get you through. It didn't take long for me to love that I could basically vape anywhere..get my nic fit...feel so much healthier...and know I was beating the long standing disgusting habit of smoking. I can't tell you what to do about continuing to smoke and vape at the same time.. but if you really look at the pros and cons..I'd be surprised if you could come up with a reason to keep smoking analogs. You're getting the best of "smoking" by vaping, without all the negatives. What part of analogs is actually better?? I can't remember when I had analogs when I didn't feel shame while smoking them, and the process of trying to "de-stink" after, etc. With vaping you get the act of smoking (oral fixation), nicotine as needed/desired -- way healthier, way cheaper, way more acceptable...YOU CAN DO THIS!!

katester

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2010
Colorado
What flavor juice do you vape? A buddy of mine- the one who introduced vaping to me- convinced me to stay away from the tobacco flavored juices at first. Something about them imitating smoking while not reproducing it he said would make me want a cigarette. So I started with fruit flavors & moved on from there & haven't looked back. Just an idea...

tippyclubb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Michigan
I vaped and smoked for three months. Before vaping I was smoking a pack a day but when I vaped I smoked 5 a day so I was happy with that and felt much better too. I really wanted to quit smoking bad so I gave myself a quit date for New Years Day. I have not had a cigarette since NY eve. I love to smoke so I didn't want to quit cold turkey but to take my time and ween myself down slowly. Those three months of vaping and smoking I was preparing myself for the quit date.

I still have days where the desire for a analog is strong but I talk myself out it and start vaping like crazy and in a few minutes that urge leaves. The most important thing for you to do is decide if you really want to quit and if the answer is yes, take your time and set a date and then stick with it. If the answer is no theres no harm in smoking a few analogs a day and vaping too. At least the vaping will keep you from smoking a pack or more, but you still get the satisfaction smoking a few.

Good luck...

Last edited:

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
I initially tried to start vaping while I was still smoking. It didn't work for me. It just wasn't satisfying.

Some time later, I made a more solid commitment to quit smoking, and I went cold turkey for just a short time - about 2-3 days. At that point, when I picked up a PV and started using it, I found it very satisfying, and I never looked back.

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
East Central Ind
I seem to be having some trouble making the transition from cigarettes. When I first started vaping, I was amazed at how "authentic" and "satisfying" it was, but now it only seems to make me want a cigarette!

Try vaping nontobacco flavored liquid. The tobacco flavoring may be triggering your want for that cig as well. Finding some juice you really like was the hardest part of vaping for me.

Jim777

Feb 11, 2012
New London
Thanks for the excellent responses. I guess its a very "individual" thing. I usually get 3 or 4 1/2 hour breaks at work. Before I started vaping, I used to rush to smoke a cigarette immediately, then have another at the end of the break. Now I vape first, then break down & have a "real" one at the end. Somehow, the half hour seems longer! Another thing: sometimes when vaping, I think I'm dying for a cigarette, but then when I actually have one, its dissatisfying and sh--ty.
Interesting. Some say to attempt to duplicate the smoking experience as closely as possible, others say not to. I see what you mean about finding the right juice. so far, my faves are "Ruyan 4" and "Darkness", both from EC Blend. The "Darkness" tastes just like The Last Cup From A Strong Pot Of Coffee, my other addiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread