Thin APV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrApex

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Raleigh NC
I've been vaping long enough to understand the benefits of a nice APV. I've looked at a few APVs and while I'd love to own a Provari or a nice Lavatube, I'm really turned off by the size of them.

I have an eGo Twist I use for day to day vaping at my desk. It's about a 1/2 inch in diameter. I think this is a great size. I'm not as thrilled with the performance of the product though. I want to get an APV.

It seems most of the APVs out there are closer to an inch in diameter. The provari mini, for example is .9 of an inch. This is way too big to stuff in my pocket.

Are there other nice APVs that are closer to the diameter/size of the eGo Twist?

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
There is this one...uses the 14500 battery, so it'll be a LOT smaller in diameter than the 18500s and such (18mm dia.) The L-Rider Robust Variable Voltage PV

Made by L-Rider, so it ought to be a pretty good PV, and it has some nice features. This site also has some other interesting mods that might interest you.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
To get the best performance from an APV, you are going to have to go with the larger diameter batteries. I just researched this category of APV's in the last month as I was looking for something lightweight, small, stealth-like, and easy to put in a shirt or coat pocket to use for out-and-about car trips instead of my full size Provari.

eGo Variable Voltage 14500 and the L Rider Robust both use a AA size battery (14500), but the video reviews I've seen have shown that they have a poor battery life (3-4 hr) and struggle to provide voltages consistantly above 5v. (Check out PBusardo's youtube reviews of these two).

I ended up going with a $50 Smoktech Variable Voltage Gripper. It has all the criteria that I was looking for. Also has a nice LED screen; and the 18650 battery in such a small package is a huge plus for battery time. PBusardo gave it a thumbs up, and I do, too.

Downside is it has a plastic case, and like many of the Chinese PWM boost chips it tends to hit hotter than the user set voltage (about 0.5v-0.8v.). I simply adjust the voltage setting half a volt lower than on the Provari.

Gripper-vv-.jpg

Last edited:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
"Are there other nice APVs that are closer to the diameter/size of the eGo Twist?"

I don't think so....especially with VV.

I agree that some of the box mods are more pocket friendly. It could be worth picking up an inexpensive one and see how you like it.

And, the Provari has a smaller diameter than most tube APV's.

What about the performance of the Twist don't you like?

DrApex

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Raleigh NC
So, I ordered the provari last week. It's already shipped.

I do hope it's less bulky than I think it'll be.

My problem with the twist was the inconsistent vape towards the end of the battery. I think I may end up using the twist for out of the house trips, we'll see.

If not, the gripper is next on my list.

Thanks for all the input. I suppose batteries and battery sizes are really the main design constraints for APVs.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Be warned -- it will be heavy and it will take some adjustment to get used to that. But, after awhile it feels just right. Alas, my first mini-ecig seemed heavy too.

And, I believe I read that ecfer's are speculating on a newer version of the gripper or clone. I've seen one of the super cheap models and loved the weight, size and general feel and am on watch for what might be next. I prefer using the more inexpensive models when out and about. And, like everything, opinions vary on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread