To help smokers quit, make them vapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Counterproductive in EVERY POSSIBLE way. 1) people will just smoke more; 2) reducing the nicotine in NO WAY reduces the harm from all those other poisons.

Switching to e-cigarettes is the ONLY way to reduce harm from cigarettes. What is so hard to understand about that???

Andria
They lose money.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Counterproductive in EVERY POSSIBLE way. 1) people will just smoke more; 2) reducing the nicotine in NO WAY reduces the harm from all those other poisons.

Although it's true that reducing nicotine doesn't create a 'safe cigarette,' it can be useful for those people that want to smoke while reducing their reliance on nicotine. I once switched completely over to nicotine free cigarettes in an attempt to get rid on my nicotine addiction. I noticed that after about 1 month, I could quite comfortably go for hours without even thinking about smoking, at that point it was only the psychological triggers that caused me trouble. Like all attempts to quit smoking, however, it only took one puff off a 'real cigarette,' about 6 months later, to set me on to smoking full-time again.

In any case, what all these tobacco control types forget is that people won't stop smoking until they want to stop smoking. A few months ago, I saw an interesting news special about a town that borders Turkey that was captured by ISIS, whom threatens severe punishment to anyone caught smoking. Guess what? People in that town were still smoking, although they were hiding right next to the border with Turkey to do it. So, even when enforced by a brutal dictatorship that's perfectly willing to physically punish infractions, tobacco control still doesn't work and the black market thrives.

Reactions: Rossum

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The author of the OP article is Steve Sugarman, who I had the following exchange with a year ago regarding his board membership and defense of Change Lab Solutions (which has demonized and lobbied against vapor products in CA since about 2011).
E-cigs under fire by an Orwellian Shadowy Cabal | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

In response to my recent e-mail commending him for now endorsing vaping, and for listing him in my new THR Update as a former THR opponent who now supports vaping (along with Steve Schroeder and Mike Cummings), Sugarman requested that I post a correction in my next THR Update stating that he was not previously a THR opponent.

Go figure.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Yeah, I really don't get that crap about reducing the nicotine; it's probably the ONLY chemical in cigarettes that ISN'T terribly dangerous -- but what about the MAOIs (which are the real culprits in the addiction), and all the OUTRIGHT POISONS they ADD to cigarette tobacco???

:blink:
Andria

If you check the history of "Merit" cigarettes, you may notice that they were made by first extracting a good portion of *everything* that was in tobacco, then adding back only a few substances that had crucial role in taste/flavour, but not beyond the original concentrations. It was like some partially purified tobacco. To a layman like me it made sense that inhaling less substances had some merit. :p The antz though jumped on them like there was no tomorrow, declaring they are worse than the standard ones, and promoting the "full flavour" ones as the only true way to smoke.

Reactions: skoony

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
P.S. Since the "less substances is worse" theory doesn't make any sense, one may suspect that at some point in their history antz were directly paid by some BT companies to help them fight against competitors. Those that didn't have the patents declared the competitor's product as "worse" via antz as proxy.

Pretty much like one would suspect in the contemporary case of "war against snus".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread