Tobacco question - why so many have leather chem smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT88

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
island fortress
I've tried a bunch of samples from Indigo, HHV Heavenly tobacco, Fuzion The Dean, Mr. e-liq RYO and some other RY4 but they all smelled bad and had a leather chem taste to me. The exception was Indigo Kick Back, which i'm not sure is a NET or artifc flavor. Kick Back is the only one i've ordered again.

I plan to try some of the NETy award candidates, but would like to know which to steer clear or if all NETs are better and no leather chem taste?

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Hmmm.... have you found any flavors you like? tobacco absolute which is a very concentrated extracted chemical can provide a very odd flavor if it's used with anything like too heavy a hand from the mixer. But leathery is also a description some folk come up with in describing a specific tobacco - I think it's perique or latakia - hopefully someone will come in and verify. What's your setup? The other thing you have to do is allow the liquids to breathe and then steep. Take the tops off and give them a good shake every now and then for a couple of days. Then put the caps back on and shake every now and then for a week or so. Alcohol can create a "perfumey" smell when it's not evaporated

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
It certainly doesn't sound like you're overclocking on the voltage then to create a burnt or other off-putting taste. VV had the very best intentions with their NET line, but it had a lot of particulate in it and I wouldn't recommend it as I'm sure the residue would gunk up your clearos. I'm pretty sure it's Latakia that carries a leathery flavor to it. An RYO4 should have a caramel flavor to it. That's why I'm wondering if you'd be better off trying Naturally Extracted Tobacco vs tobacco absolute, which is one more chemical flavor (albeit "tobacco" drop in the perfumer's creation"). I would suggest HHV Legend (cherry pipe tobacco) Serendipity a coffee/cocoa/vanilla tobacco, Huntsman which is an earthy almost cigar like flavor net, and Shadow ( a creamy vanilla which tastes of light almonds when steeped for months) Want2Vape has some amazing cigar flavors and I like Morley for the cigarette experience. Ahlusion has some of the most amazing flavors ever - Wlad is a master flavorist who works with foods and ice creams, but man oh man, is his tobacco aromatic and non aromatic blends ever spot on. My second favourite to Huntsman from HHV is Smooth Criminal from Ahlusion, and I know what you mean about that leather (English type tobacco flavor) and I don't like it either. Go with a few samples or small bottles first and let them steep - sure you can try them straightaway after a shake, but if they don't match up, give them time...

RT88

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
island fortress
Thank you, those were some of the ones i wanted to try next from Ahlusion and the other HHVs. i drink water and iced T all day and i love my flavored juices. has anyone tried Indigo Kick Back? i dont see anyone mentioning it lol. i think my taste is too sensitive, anything w/ cinnamon is strong cinn to me, i tried a cinnamon bun flavor and it kinda burned. i think i'm sensitive. i used to smoke B&H ultralight menthols < pack/day, but also used to like cigars

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
This is just a guess, but considering how you talk about these juices, but you still want to try some NETs, I would suggest trying Cravinvapes' NETs. They are much more approachable than some of what you've tried (even though those are mostly artificial tobacco juices--though some may have tobacco absolute). Of course a vaper like me wants NETs that are rude boys!

Last edited:

RT88

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
island fortress
yes, i'm planning a sample run at Ahlusion, some of the NETy award candidates, and Patriot at Goodejuice

the only thing that worries me is VV Best Damn Tobac is a NET and had that smell. i just opened it again to check. it's like a milder version of what turns me off...does this not smell like chemicals to others? i mean, if i soaked a cigarette in water i don't think it smells like this. Do they all smell like this to anyone else? when i used to oil my baseball glove it smelled better than this

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
yes, i'm planning a sample run at Ahlusion, some of the NETy award candidates, and Patriot at Goodejuice

the only thing that worries me is VV Best Damn Tobac is a NET and had that smell. i just opened it again to check. it's like a milder version of what turns me off...does this not smell like chemicals to others? i mean, if i soaked a cigarette in water i don't think it smells like this. Do they all smell like this to anyone else? when i used to oil my baseball glove it smelled better than this

Oh no! You bought the BDT? Throw it away. It's a joke. It's a bad tobacco absolute juice. Please don't let that debacle color your judgement.

Go to the Natural Tobacco thread and we'll help there.

Last edited:

RT88

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
island fortress
Just got a 4-pack sampler from HHV. could not wait, it's been in the bottle maybe 10 days. Huntsman - Yes! like this a lot, smooth

Dragons Fire - brighter, also a touch of menthol as i used a clearo that used to have menthol, was stored for two weeks after cleaning.

But i have now come to the conclusion that artificial tobacco flavors are out for me, just NETs from now. i may be sensitive to Absolute or de Latakia

RT88

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
island fortress
reloaded with the other two, Dark Horse - mmmm that is almost like smoking. lil darker than Huntsman.
Legend - lighter than i thought it would be, seems like some fruit. have not gone back and read their descriptions on these, but i'm glad i found them. all 12mg. i use 6 or 7 for fruits and sweet flavors.

the only tobac i tried before from HHV was a sample of Heather's Heavenly Tobacco a couple months ago, i think they discontinued it. good move. in my tasting notes it said, Should be called Heather's Leather steeped 3 weeks and same so tossed it

if it wasn't for the NETy awards, i wouldn't have tried these

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
reloaded with the other two, Dark Horse - mmmm that is almost like smoking. lil darker than Huntsman.
Legend - lighter than i thought it would be, seems like some fruit. have not gone back and read their descriptions on these, but i'm glad i found them. all 12mg. i use 6 or 7 for fruits and sweet flavors.

the only tobac i tried before from HHV was a sample of Heather's Heavenly Tobacco a couple months ago, i think they discontinued it. good move. in my tasting notes it said, Should be called Heather's Leather steeped 3 weeks and same so tossed it

if it wasn't for the NETy awards, i wouldn't have tried these

Heather's Heavenly Tobacco is still there, its called Heavenly Tobacco. It is NOT a NET tobacco though and that may be why you didn't care for it. ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread