Trick to control wick wetness for drippers with an off-center, single coil atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
If you drip, surely you've noticed that, after a recharge of the atty, the wick is a bit too wet and the atty produces less vapor, even if you don't overdo it. And near the end of the charge, the vape feels dry and hot.

Well, here's a trick to even out vapor production and quality throughout the charge. I apologize in advance to advanced vapers who may find it obvious, but I figured it'd help those who start with dripping.

The idea is to exploit the angle at which most people vape their mod: when you bring your mod to you mouth, the mod - and therefore the atty - is usually tilted about 30 degrees down. That means the side of the atty's deck closer to your mouth is lower than the other, and juice tends to gather up there.

So, with atomizer that have a single coil that's off-center (typically RDAs with 2 or 3 posts, one of which is at the center), what I do is this:

- I line up the vent hole directly in front of the coil, and the mod's go-go button with the vent hole if it's on the side of the mod.

- After dripping several drops into the atty, I vape with the vent hole facing away from me - meaning that I fire the mod with my index finger. That way, the coil is higher that the juice in the atty, so it's not flooded and it's fed only by capillarity through the wick.

- As the charge in the atty goes down, I turn the mod around and vape with the vent hole facing me - meaning I now fire the mod with my thumb. In that position, the coil is lower than the rest of the wick, and any free-flowing juice left in the atty tends to gather up around it.

At some point, the juice runs out, so I recharge, turn the mod around and start again with the vent hole facing away.

Try it out, it's a great way to get consistent vapor production throughout charges. Of course, this doesn't apply to centered single-coil atomizers (A7, mini-A7) or dual/quad coils. It works only with off-center single coil atomizers, which is yet another reason why I prefer them to symmetric multi-coil setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread