Trying new wicking methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakman_Smalls

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
So I'm pretty new to the rda game but I am in love. I got hooked up with an IGO-W for really cheap by another service member here on the base. Being deployed, its sucks waiting on vapemail, so i got lucky that he gave me kanthal and wick. The only issue was that the kanthal was 32g. Not optimal to say the least lol. So my experiments began and I have come to these conclusions

1. 32g Kanthal is about worthless...
Unless u twist it!

2. I dont mind silica wick, but cotton is king!

So I my venture in to the world of rebuilding started rough. 4-5 wraps of 32g were to hot/ not enough vapor (effect of heating quickly)
My coils were loose and sloppy, and the experience wasnt ideal.

After learning about microcoils and nano coils i began to get a better grasp on the concepts, and after doing days of research on here about ohms law, resistance, and battery safety. I came up with this idea...

I took a strand of twisted 32g and doubled it over again, effectively making it a quad twist? Either way it rocks.
My coil is a 9 wrap quad twist 32g nano. Its been tropping on in my IGO for about two weeks.

The next task was figuring out how to wick it, to maximize vapor, flavor, and most importantly avoiding dry hits.

The two styles that have worked best for me are the dragon wicking, and the bed of cotton.

Right now I have it sitting on a full bed of cotton and can easily get 10+ hits off of it without a dry or burnt hit.

I apologize for the lengthy post but wanted to share my experience in hope that new drippers will find something useful

AND FINALLY THE PICS!

Oakman_Smalls

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Pics of the cotton bed setup

Coil 1 (2).jpg

Coil 2 (2).jpg

jchamb2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Cleburne, tx
While I admire your effort and results, I disagree with your comment that 32 gauge Kanthal is worthless. I really like just using a single strand of 32 gauge wrapped 5 times around silica wick. It's quick, easy, and perfect for what I use it for. Yeah, I know, it's sort of pedestrian to use such a simple coil, but it's what I like to do in all my RDAs.

Oakman_Smalls

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
I would like to ammend what i said earlier. I dont think that 32g is "worthless" but I do prefer a hotter thicker vape that i was not getting with the 32g. Then again in new to this and its all been trial and error for now. I'm sure i will find some neat builds for it in the future.

Ceramic wick huh? sounds expensive lol. I want to try that and i also want to try hemp fiber and bamboo. Anyone have any experience with either of those?

Oakman_Smalls

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
While I admire your effort and results, I disagree with your comment that 32 gauge Kanthal is worthless. I really like just using a single strand of 32 gauge wrapped 5 times around silica wick. It's quick, easy, and perfect for what I use it for. Yeah, I know, it's sort of pedestrian to use such a simple coil, but it's what I like to do in all my RDAs.

This was actually my first few builds, def works and doesn't suck down the juice like a hotter sub ohm does. To each their own. Thats the beauty of vaping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread