Trying to wrap my head around DIY juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateo the Great

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
DFW, TX
I am trying to understand DIY juice. I came across this post and I was curious as to how you take the 100mg/ml nicotine base and turn it into 6-8-12-18-24-36mg's. How exactly are you turning it into whatever mg you want per bottle? Sorry if my questioning is wrong.

Post I had to copy because i'm new:

***I'm not sure I understand your question but let me take a stab at it. I might be able to answer better if you tell me where your interest lies so I can tailor a response. The DIY base is Nicotine in a carrier which generally is one of pure PG, 50-50 VG/pg, or pure VG. It is not intended to be vaped straight although some folks do, though generally that's for strengths below 48 mg/ml. I've only heard of one person vaping at that level because most don't have the tolerance for it and it generally ruins the taste.

The DIY base does not come flavored in any way so the flavor you get is the base (PG/VG mix you've chosen) along with the taste of nicotine. The numbers for the premixed eliquid and the nicotine base are measuring exactly the same thing, the number of milligrams in a milliliter of The liquid. This is not the same as the percentage though I've seen vendors make that mistake. Pure nic would be 1000mg/ml. The strongest solution normally sold is 100 mg/ml which is a 10% solution. The 24mg/ml eliquid you buy premixed is roughly a quarter of that or 2.4%.The reason that the % is so much higher in the nic base is that it allows you more flexibility in how you mix it as well as being cheaper to ship and easier to store because it doesn't take up as much space. I generally get 100mg/ml base but I mix it down to 6, 9, 12, or up to 35 mg/ml.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
I think most people use an online calculator.
There's apps for it too.

Here's the manual way
I use a PG base because my mix is PG dominant and it's much easier to work with than VG, especially after being stored in the freezer

SOURCE
Nicotine Base - 100mg/mL in PG
Flavor in PG

TARGET
10mL of 20mg/mL 70%PG 5%flavor

BASE:
(10mL total juice) * (20mg/mL target) = 200mg total nicotine in the mix
(200mg total) / (100mg/mL base) = 2mL base

FLAVOR:
5% of 10mL = 0.05 * 10mL = 0.5 mL flavor

PG:
70% of 10mL = 0.7 * 10mL = 7mL total
(7mL total) - (2mL base) - (0.5mL flavor) = 4.5mL PG

VG:

30% of 10mL = 0.3 * 10mL = 3mL VG

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
I find it easier to work in 5's & 10's to dilute it down--1 milliliter of the nic mixed with 9 milliliters of flavoring combined with your choice of PG/VG mix = 10 mg nic per ml.; 1.5 ml added to 8.5 ml of flavored = 15 mg nic per ml; 2 ml of nic added to 8 ml of flavored = 20 mg of nic, etc.

You have to know what the total amount is that you are making before figuring out the percentages. Kind of like knowing how many dozen cookies you need for the party and then figuring out if you have enough flour, sugar & shortening to make "x" amount.

There are several DIY e-liquid calculators that help you figure out the math. If math is a challenge for you, (the reason I stick to 5's & 10's--lol)--dilute your nic to start so you avoid potential oops moments later or order you nicotine liquid at a lower level to make it less toxic to begin with.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am trying to understand DIY juice. I came across this post and I was curious as to how you take the 100mg/ml nicotine base and turn it into 6-8-12-18-24-36mg's. How exactly are you turning it into whatever mg you want per bottle? Sorry if my questioning is wrong.

When ever you add either PG or VG or PG/VG or anything that does Not have Nicotine in it (Flavoring, Sweetener, Water, Alcohol, etc) to a Nicotine Base, you lower the Nicotine Base strength.

If I add 30ml of PG to 30ml of 100mg Nicotine Base, I now have 60ml of 50mg Nicotine Base.

If I add 60ml of VG to 30ml of 36mg Nicotine Base, I now have 90ml of 12mg Nicotine Base.

You are always diluting the Nicotine Base when you add Anything that does not contain Nicotine in it.

Nicotine Base and Flavored e-Liquids strength are measured by mg per ml. So a 100mg Nicotine base has 100mg of Nicotine per 1ml of volume. A 18mg Flavored e-Liquid has 18mg per 1ml of volume.

Last edited:

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
The best advice I can give is read all of the stickies in the DIY sub forum

DIY E-Liquid

100 mg nic is extremely toxic and dangerous and needs to handed with extreme care (it will kill pets and small children if they get into it and drink it)

mixing area needs to be clean and easily cleaned (don't mix over carpet in case you spill)

It is recommended beginners start with 36mg or less nic base until you are comfortable with it

here is my preferred program for mixing

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html

I get my nic, flavors, bottles, syringes (pipettes suck - sorry about my language) and glassware from RTS vapes
also available from wizard labs

PG and VG from amazon (under $12 per quart + free shipping with prime membership)

hope this helps

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
Mateo, welcome! I find all the new information I come across around here just fascinating to learn about and it seems you do to! That's a good thing.

This example might be helpful. Say I am on a diet and I can't have but 4 strawberries a day, they are too rich. Lets call them 100% strawberry for this example and they will represent the "nicotine base 100mg/ml". But I can still have 4 strawberries so I just decide to make a "low cal" strawberry milkshake. A bunch of milk, maybe a little sweetener, whatever I throw it all in the blender with my 4 strawberries and gosh I can now have "strawberries" all day long! Lets say a lab tests my "beverage" and they find it has 24% strawberry even though I put in 4 100%-strawberry strawberries. That would be how it happens, sorta, I mean it's just an example--and even the actual strawberries probably contain some "water" also so they are not really "100%" just like the nicotine base is not "100% nicotine" either . Hope that helps. And keep on vaping and keep on posting these interesting questions!

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
This is a great little ejuice calculator e-Liquid Calculator :: New recipe I like it as it considers the pg/vg values in your nicotine and flavors along with everything else. It'll let you add as many flavors as you want, in whatever percentages you want.

So if I want to make 10 ml liquid with 50-50 pg/vg, 18 mg of nicotine (mine is 50-50 pg/vg) and 15% flavoring (mine's a pg base) I would need:

1.8 ml. nicotine
2.6 ml pg
4.1 ml vg
1.5 ml flavor

Use syringes to measure it out, and there you go. Be very, very, very, very careful handling 100% nicotine! The thing is serious poison

Last edited:

Mateo the Great

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
DFW, TX
Thank you all for your opinions. They were very helpful and I appreciate the links. I do find it enjoyable to read about it all.

I do have 1 more question. I am on WizardLab, i am looking at the nicotine and when you are on the check out screen it asks you if you want your "Carrier Base Liquid" 100% Vegetable Glycerin or 100% Propelyn Glycol? I am a little confused on that part. Would I still need Propelyn Glycol if I choose 100% Propelyn Glycol? Here is the link. Again, sorry for my Squid nature :) We all start somewhere.

18mg Nicotine solution - 250ml

patrao_n

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
United States
I use pg as the base. Its easier and doesnt thicken as much as vg. You still beed pg unless your end result will be mostly vg. I like 50/50. So to make a 12 mg batch I use 1.2 ml nicotine. 1 ml flavoring. Flavoring is usually pg based by the way. 2.8ml pg. Then 5ml vg. Comes out to 12 mg/ml nicotine with 50% pg and 50% vg.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you all for your opinions. They were very helpful and I appreciate the links. I do find it enjoyable to read about it all.

I do have 1 more question. I am on WizardLab, i am looking at the nicotine and when you are on the check out screen it asks you if you want your "Carrier Base Liquid" 100% Vegetable Glycerin or 100% Propelyn Glycol? I am a little confused on that part. Would I still need Propelyn Glycol if I choose 100% Propelyn Glycol? Here is the link. Again, sorry for my Squid nature :) We all start somewhere.

What strength Flavored e-Liquids do you want to make/use?

Mad Lab

Nov 10, 2013
California

All that means is that your Nicotine is diluted in a base of either PG or VG, when mixing you just factor this into your ratio. For instance, say I make a batch of e liquid that's 100 ml and I want a 50% pg and 50% VG ratio. When mixing you have to factor in how much of the carrier liquid you added to your batch. So, if I make a simple solution of one flavor and it requires 10% flavoring to taste what I'd do is this:
my nicotine is in a PG solution. I need 5ml of the nicotine base to reach my desired nicotine level. That means I've added 5ml of PG AS WELL as the nicotine into the solution. If I then mixed that solution without adding extra VG my proportions would look something like this-
5ml nic liquid in PG
85ml 0 mg nic liquid in 50/50 PG/VG base
10ml flavoring.

Assuming my flavor is suspended in PG like most are, you can see how much PG is going to be higher than my VG. I would wind up with 15ml OVER of PG in my ratio. it would look something like 35% VG 65% VG when all is finished. To correct this, you counter the amount of PG added with pure VG.

So my correct solution if I wanted a 50/50 ratio would look like this

5ml nic liquid in PG
70ml 0 mg nic liquid in 50/50 PG/VG base
15ml 0 mg nic liquid in 100% VG base.
10ml flavoring.

I hope I'm making sense to you.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
You'd still need pg since nicotine will make up only 18% of your juice (if you're going for 18% strength). Obv it'll be higher or lower depending on what you want.

If you also want, say, 20% flavoring, and if the flavoring is also pg based, then that obviously affects the numbers. The site I linked takes that into consideration.

The remaining 62% of the juice is your pg/vg mix.

I'd suggest getting your nicotine in a pg base. vg will be very thick, difficult to manipulate with a syringe. Nicotine is poison, and easier it is to handle the better.

Re flavoring: It's preference. 10-20% seems common, but some like less, others like more. Make small samples for starters, and keep track of ingredients :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread