Use PG or VG-based Nicotine solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuraVida

Apr 4, 2018
I've been getting VG nicotine solution. I'm considering switching to PG for one simple reason: PG is thinner and easier to extract into a syringe for measurement. Can someone give me a good reason not to use a PG solution instead of VG for nicotine due to flavor or storage concerns?

My e-liquid recipes are typically 65% VG / 35% PG, so using an e-liquid calculator it's easy for me to adjust the other solutions to account for the nic base, so this is not a concern. I usually make batches between 100 - 240 ml at a time and use between 3-4 mg/ml nicotine.

Secondary question...I store the nicotine solution (about a 12 month supply) in the refrigerator and the PG and VG bases at room temperature. Is this ideal?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
What ever base is the easiest for you to work with you should get. Unless I am using my nic to mix I keep it stored in the freezer and only take out what I need for a mixing session. I usually split into smaller bottles for easier handling and so I am not reopening the larger bottle too much as to let air in. I store PG and VG in a dark cool place.

PuraVida

Apr 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I heard that it can be stored in the freezer. I guess it doesn't freeze solid then. I just wasn't sure. Keep a smaller bottle in the fridge for current use. Thanks for the confirmation. Freezing in glass bottles ok? I have some dropper bottles, I just need to get caps without the dropper. I could take the dropper out but wonder if that would mess up the seal? I guess that's an easy thing to test out with some water.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I've been getting VG nicotine solution. I'm considering switching to PG for one simple reason: PG is thinner and easier to extract into a syringe for measurement. Can someone give me a good reason not to use a PG solution instead of VG for nicotine due to flavor or storage concerns?

My e-liquid recipes are typically 65% VG / 35% PG, so using an e-liquid calculator it's easy for me to adjust the other solutions to account for the nic base, so this is not a concern. I usually make batches between 100 - 240 ml at a time and use between 3-4 mg/ml nicotine.

Secondary question...I store the nicotine solution (about a 12 month supply) in the refrigerator and the PG and VG bases at room temperature. Is this ideal?

Pura, a good reason not to use a PG nic base rather than a VG? A matter of preference, actually. Typically PG carries and promotes TH and flavor, and VG produces more vapor. Everyone need experiment to see what they (you) like the best. For storage, there's not much difference. For flavor, you'd do a bit better with PG.

I like to store my nic in the freezer for long-term storage. My PG and VG are stored in a dark, cool cupboard.

"Ideal"? What works for you. :)

PuraVida

Apr 4, 2018
Ha - you're right, it does, WillyZee. I'm switching to 48 mg/ml instead of 100 too. For small batches it'll make the measurements easier. Price difference is negligible per mg, really. For personal use I don't care if it's tiny fraction off or something, but I also don't have to worry about toxicity as much either when handling it even though I'm careful about it.

I'm gonna try PG this time around. I think it'll be better overall.

Thanks, all.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
As long as it doesn't interfere with your PG ratio, you should be fine, in fact, I would get my nic in PG if I could tolerate it (I can't) as it's so much easier to mix with. There shouldn't be storage concerns as long as you store in fridge (bottle in use) and the rest in the freezer.

Best of luck.

Anna

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Can someone give me a good reason not to use a PG solution instead of VG for nicotine due to flavor or storage concerns?
Probably not. Conventional wisdom suggests that the thicker viscosity of VG might, theoretically, slow down any chemical processes (oxidation) that do occur but in practice, if stored properly (protect from heat, oxygen, UV light; freezing dark glass bottles with conical caps works well for most of us) this should be minimal in the first place so it's going to last a good long time, either way.

Another consideration, as mentioned, might be if it interferes with your PG/VG ratio but that doesn't appear to be an issue in your case. Only if you were trying to make a high-VG liquid from a low-nic base. Trying for 3mg 90VG with 18mg PG base, for example, ain't gonna happen (you need at least 16% PG just for the nicotine alone, and that doesn't leave any room for flavors which are usually also PG-based.) But the stronger your nic base, the less of it you need and the less it will affect your potential ratio ranges. At 3mg, from a 48mg base you're looking at just a hair over 6% nic base which leaves up to 29% for flavorings at your chosen 35% PG.

I have both kinds in my stash, and so far I don't notice any difference in the finished product. If nothing changes by the time I need to restock, I think I'll get just PG next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread