Vamo short - low ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatom

Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I had to buy a head replacement due to stripped threads. The replacement did not come with an o-ring below the positive button so I unsoldered the positive post, pulled it out of the head, installed a #60 o-ring, reinserted the post into the head, and re-soldered the positive lead to the post.

Should have been done after reassembly, right? Not with my luck. When I install a clearo and turn it on, it shows 0.0 ohms. I've taken it apart and put it back together I don't know how many times looking for the short. There's infinite resistance after I reassemble. It's not until I install a clearo that it shows 0 ohms. The o-ring is thick enough that there's no way the post is being pushed to the body when I install a device.

I wonder whether I damaged the circuit board in my struggle to remove the top cap. I ended up heating the body lightly with a baker's torch. I got it warm, not hot. The board shows no visible sign of heat. Vamo won't turn on unless I have a clearo or atty installed. I don't remember whether that's as it should be or not.

I'm about to give up. Anybody have any ideas what's causing this?

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Wish I could help. Will only say for others who might be reading this that if you are just replacing the gasket (verses soldering on a whole new top), there is no need to take the Vamo apart. At least with my V3 there was enough wire inside to gently pull up the pin with a dental tool until the pin-top cleared the threaded head. From there I removed the existing rubber grommet and slipped my new silicone gasket down over the pin, then gently pressed it back down using the dental tool (or similar) to seat the new gasket.

What's odd is that your new top didn't come with a gasket? That must have been an assembly mistake. ?? My Vamo had the same rubber grommet used on the post insulator inside a head as the grommet under the pin.

BTW the Vamo should turn on (5 clicks = "SYSTEM ON" message) whether anything is attached or not.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I thought so. That makes me think the circuit board might be damaged which might explain why it shows no ohms with a device attached. I hate to scrap it but can't use it as it is.

I know you already invested in a top but just FTR V2 PCB boards are also available. Kidney puncher has them for $21 but you might find them cheaper elsewhere. Again, doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $20 more when you already bought a top and a new Vamo is $37...

Also, if you DO just get a new Vamo, hang on to the one you have and use it for spare parts... the top can be used on your new Vamo when/if needed, and other parts could be scavenged if required... buttons, caps, tubes, OLED, etc. So it won't be a waste... it will end up paying for itself in the long run. :)

PS Here is another link for PCB for $17 but I have not vetted this AT ALL and don't know if it's legit or a fly by night place or if they charge a ton for shipping or what.... http://gotsmok.com/vamo-v2-pcb-17-08/ ... as always, buyer beware and do your own diligence. NOTE: Just clicked the link and it goes to a different site where it's actually $18.98 AND is a V2 PCB with the old LED screen vs the V3's OLED. Then I looked at Kidney Puncher's PCB and it is also the old LED.

Wonder if there are even any V3 PCBs out there...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread