Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundrinkr

Alis volat propriis
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Behind the Rainbow
I just got the Apollo 2 piece automatic. Now Husband wants a pv. I'm thinking of a 510.
NHaler has a 2 man batt, 2 atomizer, 5 empty or prefilled cartridges, wall charger, 2-6ml juice, PCC w/USB and soft black carry case for 85.00 (still shopping to see if I can beat that).
My questions;

1) Go with a 510 kit and leave as is and just order more atomizers, blank cartridges, and liquids?

and then what about drip tips? I would need those, right? If so, regular or whistle? Metal or Black delrin (which I assume is plastic?)

OR

2) junk the atomizers when they are done or use occasionally but also have available a dual core clear jumbo blank cartomizer? Or just go with regular cartomizers?

Which would be easiest for him to fill with his own choices of juice, cartridges or cartomizers?

Thanks for all responses.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
You cannot put low resistance cartos on a slim ecig - it can damage the battery. You might be able to get away with the 2.5ohm dual coil on a 510 but it will use the charge up faster. I recommend standard resistance Boge 510 cartos for your favorite thin juices, atty and drip tip for testing juices and vaping ones that are thicker than work well in cartos. Never put a juice in a carto untried. Waste of a carto. I use 20% VG or less juices in cartos, particularly clear light-colored ones that leave little or no flavoring sediment.

nHaler is also a bit overpriced. A 2-complete Joye 510 manual ecigs kit should cost under $40 (see Liberty-Flights.com and press the 20% off first, see LiteCigUSA.net too). The Joye PCC for 510 runs about $22 if you shop around. Cartomizers are about $8 for a pack of 5.

A nice PCC is at NoSMokeVA.com - search there for PCC - the $29.95 one is the PCC alone - holds 2 batteries with one charging and 6 other items. nHaler is not showing what PCC they are including. The standard 510 PCC is sharp-edged metal and holds 1/2 as much as the NoSMokeVA one.

And I recommend extra charging cables - one for work, 2 for home (minimum)

I am wary of unbranded 510's since at least one clone is reverse electrical polarity. I guess the nHlaer kit is OK with the case and all (not enough juice for starting out though). But I would not buy it unless they tell you it is the same electrical polarity as Joye brand 510, and can use the same chargers.

Re drip tip - I use delrin and plastic because I also use them as a comfy mouthpiece on my Boge and other stuffing cartos.

Last edited:

dupont

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Washington DC
I don't know if I qualify as a veteran, but I've been analog free for a little over 6 months! Your start up kit sounds good to me, but I'll bet you can beat the price you listed (at least by a little). There are lots of good suppliers, but I can recomend eSmokeClub.com for price, customer service and speedy shipping (free for orders over $20).

I prefer cartos myself, but lots of people like atty's. And I think going with a 510 set up leaves you with lots of options. Many of the folks here strongly recommend larger batteries. I recently picked up a mod with more battery capacty. But I started on (and still use) the "super mini" size batt's (that I think you are considering). You do have to keep some charging all the time, but I don't really mind that.

Anyway, I really think that anything (even the over-priced mall kits) is better than smoking analogs, so in my opinion you really can't go wrong. And it sounds like you know enough to avoid paying too much. Good luck to you and your husband!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
If he wants to start with a slim ecig and ease into this, the 510 manual kit is a nice start. With a 3rd battery and a second charger at home he could leave the house with 2 charged batteries. I strongly recommend a real charger cable at work (USB cable is fine if he has a computer at work) - it is easy to screw up if you depend on a PCC for charging at work (I screwe up 3x when I started). I only use the PCC to charge when I am away from power.

When and if he upgrades to Ego or Riva 510 or any 510-threaded mod, his cartomizers and atomizers will all work on those. I use both 510 slim manuals and a Riva Lite Bundle from Liberty-Flights (Riva 510 is higher voltage than Ego when you buy at Liberty-Flights because LF has the latest version of Riva) - my bundle cost under $30 w/ their 20% discount.

And grats to your husband on making a smart move.

Last edited:

jonny2hottie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2010
Strong Beach, CALI
www.youtube.com
definitely look into the e-power 18650. found a good kit at Chrome 18650 E-Power Kit | Sweet-Vapes E-Liquid for only ~$55! i highly recommend their ejuice too!

the kit comes with:
1 Chrome Unit (Battery Tube, PCB Switch, Cone)
2 18650 2200mah Protected Batteries
2 510 2.0ohm Stainless Smoktech Atomizers
5 Prefilled Mar Tobacco 18mg Carts (Dekang)
1 E-Power 18650 Battery Charger
1 Gift Box & Instruction Manual (Very nice packaging for this kit)
1 3ml bottle of e-liquid. You choose the flavor.

and you can choose the add boge lr or regular or dual coil cartos to the kit!

jonny2hottie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2010
Strong Beach, CALI
www.youtube.com
definitely look into the e-power 18650. found a good kit at Chrome 18650 E-Power Kit | Sweet-Vapes E-Liquid for only ~$55! i highly recommend their ejuice too!

the kit comes with:
1 Chrome Unit (Battery Tube, PCB Switch, Cone)
2 18650 2200mah Protected Batteries
2 510 2.0ohm Stainless Smoktech Atomizers
5 Prefilled Mar Tobacco 18mg Carts (Dekang)
1 E-Power 18650 Battery Charger
1 Gift Box & Instruction Manual (Very nice packaging for this kit)
1 3ml bottle of e-liquid. You choose the flavor.

and you can choose the add boge lr or regular or dual coil cartos to the kit!

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
First off, $89 is too much to pay for a 510 starter kit.

Check here for a better price: Electronic Cigarette Supplies & Electronic Cigarette Refills for Name-Brand Electronic Cigarettes! E-Cigs from LiteCigUSA

You don't need drip tips unless you are going to drip. Dripping is a method whereby, instead of filling the cart with 10-12 drops of juice, one drips 3 drops directly onto the bridge of the atomizer. Great for flavor and vapor, but a PITA if you are away from home for any length of time.

I recommend plastic drip tips rather than metal, if thats the way you want to go. Just have a better feel.

Here is another good place to buy hardware from with very good prices and low shipping cost: E-Liquid and Electronic Cigarette Shop - Category Listings

The cartridges and cartomizers are both pretty easy to fill. But cartomizers hold about twice the juice, so less often.

Attys cost more, but last longer. But it all equals out. $8 for one standard atty or $8 for 5 cartomizers.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Ya'll forget really quick when someone says "simple", a quick and simple way to see if e-cigs work, go to MyVaporStore and check out the KR808D-1 with prefilled carts. Then if he decides to keep going do some reading at the ECF Library so you'll make a better informed purchase next time.

Why is that a better or simpler option? In essense you are telling the person to spend $33 and then spend more again on a second PV with a much better battery. For $9 more they can get the E-Power, which is just as simple, since you can use carto's with it, have a much better battery that lasts 2-3 times longer and with battery replacement costs of $4 instead of $12.

Why point the OP to much weaker batteries that are 3 times more costly?

Sundrinkr

Alis volat propriis
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Behind the Rainbow
Thank you so much -- all of you, for taking the time to reply. I like the idea of the cartomizers since they hold more juice and don't have to be refilled as often. I also like Wolf's suggestion of a silver bullet for myself and giving DH my barely used Apollo. He might find that insulting though ; ) So... I have just ordered 2 Riva 510 Lite Bundles at Liberty Flights -- one for him, one for me along with some cartos. I liked this look of the silver bullet and the chrome 18650 -- think it might make a nice christmas gift! Thanks again to everyone for your input -- it sure helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread