Vaping and oral health

Status
Not open for further replies.

gal66stang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
Austin
So, I have seen a number of threads where folks are concerned about vaping and oral health/bleeding gums.

I just came from the periodontist, I have been going for 4 cleanings a year for some time because of all of the years that I smoked traditional cigarettes and how hard they are on your gums. The perio was thrilled with how healthy my gums are getting because I started vaping instead of smoking.

She said that tobacco constricts vessels and causes all kinds of problems for your gums and that e-cigs/vaping is SOOO much better. (She even emphasized the SO). She stated that after quitting traditional cigarettes your mouth/gums will go through changes. There will likely be some ugly breath and that there may be a period of gum bleeding but that should all get better, even while vaping.

She also said that she is aware that vaping causes dry mouth and suggested rinsing twice a day with Biotene which will help with the dry mouth. Dry mouth apparently helps to create an optimal environment for bacteria. I guess it doesn't get carried away in saliva...

At any rate - I wanted to share my experience with the whole deal...I know some have posted and been concerned.

Oh one last thing that I found interesting. As she was talking about how much better vaping is, I made mention that I thought it would be as long as the FDA didn't regulate it so heavily that the only vendors who can afford to keep making juice are those associated with big tobacco. She gave quite the affirmative to that statement. They may just end up putting all of the crap chemicals and such, taking something that is better/less harmful and making worse. I got the feeling that she might have been following it some. At any rate - a little digress from oral health and a slight rant...but I found it interesting.

Cheers all!

...T...

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
So, I have seen a number of threads where folks are concerned about vaping and oral health/bleeding gums.

I just came from the periodontist, I have been going for 4 cleanings a year for some time because of all of the years that I smoked traditional cigarettes and how hard they are on your gums. The perio was thrilled with how healthy my gums are getting because I started vaping instead of smoking.

She said that tobacco constricts vessels and causes all kinds of problems for your gums and that e-cigs/vaping is SOOO much better. (She even emphasized the SO). She stated that after quitting traditional cigarettes your mouth/gums will go through changes. There will likely be some ugly breath and that there may be a period of gum bleeding but that should all get better, even while vaping.

She also said that she is aware that vaping causes dry mouth and suggested rinsing twice a day with Biotene which will help with the dry mouth. Dry mouth apparently helps to create an optimal environment for bacteria. I guess it doesn't get carried away in saliva...

At any rate - I wanted to share my experience with the whole deal...I know some have posted and been concerned.

Oh one last thing that I found interesting. As she was talking about how much better vaping is, I made mention that I thought it would be as long as the FDA didn't regulate it so heavily that the only vendors who can afford to keep making juice are those associated with big tobacco. She gave quite the affirmative to that statement. They may just end up putting all of the crap chemicals and such, taking something that is better/less harmful and making worse. I got the feeling that she might have been following it some. At any rate - a little digress from oral health and a slight rant...but I found it interesting.

Cheers all!

...T...

Great thread!!!

Also, as someone who has had an interest in entheogens, psychedelics, etc. I can tell you, WHENEVER the government regulates or gets its hands on something, it ALWAYS turns to crap. You can COUNT on that.

Therefore, a suggestion to everyone. If it starts to look like the FDA will be regulating soon, then go ahead and order EVERYTHING you need to DIY. You'll thank yourself later down the road.

Norman Clature

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Athens, GA, USA

Cheers all!

...T...

My experience has been roughly the same as yours. My periodontist is not only glad I'm using e-cigs but now recommends them to all his smoking patients. He says "It's a healthier "delivery system." I go 4 times a year also and my cleanings are now as pleasant as visits can possibly be and about half the time is spent just talking. Very little scraping, very little baking soda/pressurized water jet action.

So I guess the Biotene is obviously used once at bedtime. When is the other time in the day you use it? When you wake up or some other time?

Thanks,

Norman

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I also recently visited my dental office for one of my 4x/year cleanings. I had the bleeding gum issue for a few weeks. My periodontist said that she knew quite a bit about vaping and that while the bleeding gums was common she had a "fix" for it. After the cleaning she irrigated my gums with some antibiotic liquid and gave me some Listerine zero and told me to use it nightly for 7-10 days.

The very next morning I did not have ANY bleeding when brushing and now over a week later I still haven't had any bleeding. Whatever that stuff was she squirted in there but a stop to the issue instantly.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yes, I have had my stint at the periodontist, but it wasn't solely due to smoking necessarily or other, ahem, bad habits; it was due largely to not flossing for, well, forever. Roughly 1 out of every 2 adult (30 and up) Americans suffer from some degree of gum disease whether they know it or not. That high percentage of gum disease is caused by a myriad of problems, mostly from not flossing once a day and brushing 2x daily. This is not to say that smoking isn't bad for oral health, because it most certainly is, I am just saying that oral health in general is a problem for the population at large and that includes a very high percentage of non-smokers.

CDC: Half of American Adults Have Periodontal Disease | Perio.org

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
I had a lot of gum recession and bone loss while smoking. Besides converting from analogs, I've also upped my flossing routine (never flossed in the past), use the mini pick brushes after any meal, and biotene is just one rinse I use. My pockets have filled considerably over the last few years and continue to improve.

If anyone is still suffering from abscesses, bleeding and soreness, or even if you're recovering from a history of gingivitis, I strongly suggest you try CloSYS rinse. The stuff is amazing, my last bit of lingering soreness and swelling totally disappeared after finding it. My wife even used it for an abscess and it disappeared. My periodontist is amazed at my plaque control and wants to recommend it to others. Next to flossing, I attribute practically all of my recovery to it, it's the only thing that effectively exterminates anything living in my mouth. You can feel less plaque buildup throughout the day as compared to not using it, or using something like listerine or peroxide in it's place.

I think I could blame listerine for a lot of the soreness I used to feel. That stuff is like lighter fluid. :facepalm:

Winkos

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2011
Midwest
I had a scare when I needed a deep cleaning for pockets of 5 around my molars. Totally my fault, as I never flossed or visited the dentist. I did brush twice a day so I had no plaque above the gumline. The pockets are now 3mm and my dentist has cleared me for braces which I will have put on tomorrow. I am scared that the e-cig will affect the bone growth as my teeth move. Yet I am unwilling to give it up unless I see problems. I guess we will see. It may be a big mistake for me to take this risk.

The whole thing is that the e-cig is my binky. It soothes me when I am stressed. I went a whole day without the e-cig to see how addicted I was. I did get a little grumpy after 12 hours, but it was not near the irritability I faced when I quit smoking. I also do not suffer dry mouth which contributes to teeth and gum problems. Some people have dry mouth with their e-cigs and I am glad this has not happened to me. I must be a drooler. lol

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States
After quitting I had wicked dry mouth and scenarios where my gums swelled slightly. Both are nearly a non issue now and it seems to have taken a few months to get past those issues. I think my body decided to just produce more saliva. Don't be surprised if after a few months you won't feel like you need the biotene anymore.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
My dentist and dental tech have been very impressed with my oral health since I started vaping. In fact, there was some talk in da past 'bout a root canal on one of my molars. Not any more!

'Nother added benefit is that my last cleaning appointment was da shortest and easiest ever...
toothy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread