Vaping in public/at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookyelectric

May 30, 2012
Texas
Anyone having any trouble or getting any grief from vaping inside a public bulding restroom, stairwell, etc. ?
I vape in the restroom at work sometimes. My company has a strict policy of no tobacco inside the building so I would likely get in trouble if someone saw me vaping in the break room (even though I don't consider vaping a traditional tobacco product). Since I do it inside a bathroom stall, and vaping doesn't create the offensive cigarette odor, I've never been approached about it. Maybe if my boss was in there too and he somehow caught a whiff of the vapor he might get angry but that would be an unlikely situation. Vapor odor disperses pretty quickly in my experience and is certainly not any stronger than some people's perfume. Plus, a bathroom can always use more pleasant odors, right? ;)

Trackjunkie

Verified Member
May 28, 2012
SoCal
Drug Lord :lol: What's next, PVs as Weapons of Mass Destruction?

I live in the sticks in Scotland and back when I used Egos I had the police stop me when I was using it just walking down the street on the way to work. They wouldn't let me go for over half an hour just asking constantly if I do or sell drugs. If I explain within a minute that it's an ecig, show it's battery operated heating some liquid that smells like whatever flavour I had in that day, it's stupid to hold me so long for that. They were literally trying to intimidate me into confessing that I was some kind of drug lord which was idiotic.

I wasn't impressed and it put me off vaping in public because it was the first time I'd done it with one that didn't look like a real cig. So for now at least, my mods stay in my pocket while I'm outside.

I don't like the police much either :glare:

CcaT

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Washington State
Ya know... for a while now I've been smelling strange food-type smells in the restroom where I work. Often fruity smells, or the like, but not something you'd expect someone to have as a cologne. Now that I've tried vaping, I know what it was now! Brilliant sneaky buggers. Wish I'd have learned about vaping long ago. Would have saved me all those trips to stand in the rain to smoke.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I may be one of the few people that in the 70s and 80s when people were smoking in publc places, I still would not do so often because the people I was around the most were allergic to smoke and got quite ill. So I would go to another part of the restaurant or in a restroom to smoke when that was allowed. LOL, it is funny but I am used to stealth smoking as I was doing it since I started smoking all those years ago. I guess I will have to do the same vaping but perhaps I can get my allergic loved ones to understand it is not smoke as my husband now does not care if I vape in front of him.
I have rabid anti-tobacco relatives. I mean seriously rabid, bordering on zealotry. But their hate is for smoke, not nicotine or vapor. To a person, every one of them is o.k. with me vaping in their homes and cars. It only took about a 5 minute explanation and demonstration and they had no problem with it. Some of these people didn't even like me smoking outside their house unless I was as far away from their front door as the sidewalk. Now I vape in their living rooms and they have no objections.
It is odd, but I am more concerned about being able to stealth vape somewhere so not to get a lot of questions and also
because my sister in particular hates the look of women smoking saying it cheapens them so she would freak over vaping too.

I get very few questions from people, even those I know are wondering what that is in my hand. I'm not the unapproachable looking type either. I find myself wishing people WOULD ask questions, more often than not. I don't vape something that looks like a cigarette, so I think that's one reason. Perhaps they think it's a medical device and they're just minding their own business.

think some people object to the Look of Smoking even it is Vaping, it looks like the Act of Smoking. That is what I have heard from Friends who Vape. People are objecting because it looks like smoke and it is not fair to non vaping non smokers or some crap like that.
These are the people I have no tolerance for and I really don't give a rip about their opinions or feelings or anything else. These are the anti-nicotine zealots and there is nothing anyone can do to change their minds. I feel zero obligation to be considerate around them because they do not operate on the basis of reality. Anyone who has no regard for the truth is unworthy of me regarding their feelings with anything but contempt. If I antagonize this type of person, there is nothing to lose. I have the utmost concern what other people think of vapers and don't want to give us a bad name. But in the case of the anti-nicotine zealot, it is a lost cause. You cannot reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Sylvaria

Jun 2, 2012
Indiana, USA
I have rabid anti-tobacco relatives. I mean seriously rabid, bordering on zealotry. But their hate is for smoke, not nicotine or vapor. To a person, every one of them is o.k. with me vaping in their homes and cars. It only took about a 5 minute explanation and demonstration and they had no problem with it. Some of these people didn't even like me smoking outside their house unless I was as far away from their front door as the sidewalk. Now I vape in their living rooms and they have no objections.

I get very few questions from people, even those I know are wondering what that is in my hand. I'm not the unapproachable looking type either. I find myself wishing people WOULD ask questions, more often than not. I don't vape something that looks like a cigarette, so I think that's one reason. Perhaps they think it's a medical device and they're just minding their own business.

These are the people I have no tolerance for and I really don't give a rip about their opinions or feelings or anything else. These are the anti-nicotine zealots and there is nothing anyone can do to change their minds. I feel zero obligation to be considerate around them because they do not operate on the basis of reality. Anyone who has no regard for the truth is unworthy of me regarding their feelings with anything but contempt. If I antagonize this type of person, there is nothing to lose. I have the utmost concern what other people think of vapers and don't want to give us a bad name. But in the case of the anti-nicotine zealot, it is a lost cause. You cannot reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Think that is the key right there for me of late. I used to vape a few years ago and had a bunch of issues in public places using my m401 just recently started vaping again and purchased a generic Lavatube. with the Lavatube I have noticed most people look then look embarrassed that they even looked. Especially with the syringe mod tank that I put on the top of it with the obviously metered marks and "medical look." Of course I am not going out of my way to be obvious about vaping but I am not going out of my way to hide it either. I find being naturally casual about things is far stealthier than trying to hide something. The sneakier you try to be the more guilty you look or at least that is what I have found.

Syl

P.S.: *wavies, First Post and I am so much more successful with the LT already than I ever was with the m401 already. I love the thing to death.

edit: For slight clarification

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I vape in restaurants, but I do it without fanfare. I blow it downward and don't create a cloud of vapor. My wife frowns at me when I do that because she's afraid someone will come over and tell me it's not allowed.

The other day we went into a local restaurant and when I sat down, I laid my Provari with a stainless carto on the table. The waitress came up and started taking our order. She saw the Provari and said, "What is that thing?". I explained it to her and her eyes lit up. She said she had heard of them but had never seen one. She said it looked like the thing in "Men in Black" that they used to zap your memory and make you forget!

She said her husband had tried one of the gas station ecigs and was trying to quit smoking. I gave her the ECF link and she wrote it down. Later she came back over to check with us and told me that she had given the link to her lady boss (the owner) who was also trying to quit smoking. I get this all the time. Most everyone knows someone who is having a terrible time quitting. The first thing they ask you is, "Have you been able to quit using this thing?". I'm happy to tell them that I have quit and it was a piece of cake compared to cold turkey or any other method.

url

Last edited:

zjb1

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Los Angeles
I've only been vaping for a couple of days, so I'm no authority, but I've already given this issue a lot of thought. It's a complicated social phenomenon. People who are put off by vaping aren't necessarily crazy or stupid.

If your vaping device looks like an analog cigarette and people can't tell the difference, then you're effectively promoting smoking—"if that glamorous guy smokes, then it must not be as bad as everyone says."

In Los Angeles, lots of people who see me smoking look at me as if I were shooting up. People hate smoking, and that makes sense, because it's indefensible. That's why I need to buy a device right away that doesn't resemble a cigarette.

I'm concerned about how my five year old girl perceives this new thing. She's fascinated by it.

Last edited:

Lizzy1029

Jun 2, 2012
Georgia
Hi I am new to the vaping word and after a few weeks of learning what I like and what I can use I will be quitting smoking regular cigarettes. After 35 yrs of a pack a day smoking I have finally found something that works. I am a little frustrated with the public perception of e-cigs. My subdivision just banned smoking at our neighborhood pool putting a smoking section at the end of the parking lot with no relief from the sun. I shot the association an e-mail asking if e-cigs were okay with general information about the no second hand anything, no smoke, tobacco, tar, smell. The response was a definite NO with the only response being but what about when you exhale the mist. It seems to me that if people used common sense regarding e-cigs More heavy smokers would switch. Imagine a world where it was accepted and encouraged.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Hi I am new to the vaping word and after a few weeks of learning what I like and what I can use I will be quitting smoking regular cigarettes. After 35 yrs of a pack a day smoking I have finally found something that works. I am a little frustrated with the public perception of e-cigs. My subdivision just banned smoking at our neighborhood pool putting a smoking section at the end of the parking lot with no relief from the sun. I shot the association an e-mail asking if e-cigs were okay with general information about the no second hand anything, no smoke, tobacco, tar, smell. The response was a definite NO with the only response being but what about when you exhale the mist. It seems to me that if people used common sense regarding e-cigs More heavy smokers would switch. Imagine a world where it was accepted and encouraged.

I believe in the adage: "It's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission". (not that you need to seek forgiveness for vaping). I would have vaped casually at the pool and when asked explained how my vaporizer got me off those awful cigarettes and that there is nothing harmful to others in the vapor and what a relief it is not to be smoking anymore. Basically try to educate people towards acceptance through demonstration and explanation. It still might not work, but you might have had a better chance. It's easier for people to react negatively in an email than it is to your face.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I tell people that vaping is what keeps me from smoking cigarettes. I also tell them that I can taper the nic level down if I decide to and quit vaping. You can't do that with tobacco.

A couple of things are relevant here. One is that we only get about 30% of the nicotine that we did from a cigarette, but it's enough to satisfy our needs. What we exhale has been determined by lab testing to be about 2% of what we inhaled, so it's not NEARLY as bad as the exhale from a cigarette. Each particle of tobacco smoke is coated with tar and nicotine. Those little products of combustion that make up cigarette smoke enter the alveoli in our lungs and deliver tar and nicotine. They are in the smoke we used to exhale, too.

Our lungs don't absorb much of the nicotine we inhale from vaping. The mist is not conducive to absorption by the air sacs in our lungs. Most of the nic is absorbed through the mucous membranes in our mouth, throat, and nose. Those are moist and the vapor merges with the moisture and that results in the absorption of nic.

Ecigarette mist harmless, inhaled or exhaled
Second hand cigarette smoke is a mixture of mainstream and sidestream smoke. It contains the same toxicants as mainstream smoke, but at reduced levels. It is responsible for about 8% of the deaths caused by direct smoking.

Second hand mist from an e-cigarette is not smoke at all, and does not contain any substance known to cause death, short or long term, in the quantities found. It becomes invisible within a few seconds, and is not detectable by smell.

Exhaled breath after e-cigarette use has been tested for CO only. No increase in CO was found.

The e-cigarette does not create side-stream smoke

Exhaled breath after e-smoking contains even less nicotine per puff, as much of the nicotine inhaled is absorbed. Similarly, propylene glycol is largely absorbed and little is exhaled.

No harm found in e-cigarette mist

Nicotine is not harmful in the quantities mentioned.1

Propylene glycol is harmless – it is used in making theatrical fog and as an ingredient in soaps, personal lubricants and intravenous medicines.
...........................‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑‑

Education is crucial to the acceptance of vaping. It's not as safe as NOT vaping, but it is magnitudes safer than smoking tobacco.

Nicotine in inhaled ecig vapor contains about 100 times less nic than that inhaled by a cigarette smoker. The exhaled nicotine is said to be about 2%. Apparently, we inhale less but absorb more of the small amount we inhale.

Per the link I posted above.
Cigarette Inhaled nicotine per puff = 0.1 mg/puff

Ecig Inhaled nicotine per puff =0.01 mg/puff

Last edited:

OnnaB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
GA
zjb1, I hear you about L.A. I was in San Francisco...the looks I got from others while I was smoking (pre-vape period...lol)!! YIKES! I swear, I felt that I wouldn't have gotten near as many stares and glares if I had walked down the sidewalk, tourniquet around my arm, shooting up while walking! LOL...the gov't has caused this....sigh.

zjb1

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Los Angeles
I don't think it's the government's fault. Maybe public smoking bans make non smokers see smokers as more morally blameworthy. Is that what you mean?

One big problem with cigarettes is that smoking is an assault on the senses of innocent bystanders, who really do think it smells revolting (I suspect I'll agree with them pretty soon, after I've given up analogs for good).

Smoking in public is like farting in public, but worse. The smoker does his thing openly, unapologeticly, whereas the farter at least tries to pretend his fart came from somewhere else.

zjb1

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Los Angeles
Do we have evidence that "vaping is not as safe as not vaping?" Obviously vaping is safer than smoking. But who says vaping is bad at all? Might it even be healthy for you?

I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone. I'm just suggesting that vaping might be not just not bad, but actually good. Although I guess nicotine is an addictive stimulant and it's probably bad to get oneself physically addicted to any chemical.

gtianz

ECF Veteran
Beginning to feel like a "pro" vaper.

I vape on planes, in stores, at work, and just last week I vaped (discreetly) in a courthouse while on jury duty. I even educated a number of sheriff deputies working security at the courthouse. They were all curious about my buzz pro + tank setup.

I work on a "smoke free" property. When I was a smoker I accidentally smoked in a couple of places I shouldn't have been smoking and got chastised by the rent-a-cops. I now vape openly in those exact places and have demonstrated/explained ecigs to quite a few people.

At least in the US, it's not illegal, and based on scientific testing appears to pose no harm to anyone.

So, I'll continue vaping away for all to see and educating any who care to learn.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I work from home so I would only smoke inside my home or outdoors the rest of the time. I even stopped smoking
in both of our cars due to the smell plus my husband quit smoking successfully almost 2 years, he went cold turkey which is amazing. Now that I am vaping, I doubt my habits would change except I can vape in the car on longer trips. But for several years now, I have not smoked much in public and I have few friends who are smokers. My sister is allergic to smoke so I would never smoke around her. My best friend also is very allergic to cigarette smoke.

I only want to know if others had problems with like vaping in a public restroom as I do not want to draw attention to myself or answer a bunch of questions about vaping if I light up in a public place. But since my best friend and sister are allergic to smoke and I no longer smoke around hubby, what I would do is smoke outside if we went somewhere. It would be nice that If I could at least go a public restroom in a store or restaurant and vape as I used to be able to do with all these allergic people in my family when smoking publicly was allowed and done everywhere.

Anyone having any trouble or getting any grief from vaping inside a public bulding restroom, stairwell, etc. ?

To avoid any problems I have gone into a rest room and vaped. Never had anybody say anything. Almost every time I vape with the smokers someone will ask me about it so it's a good time to educate. I was thinking though that it might be helpful to lay my PV on the table when I go to a restaurant. It might get a conversation started right off the bat. I forget who posted the explanation, but I like what they said about explaining that it's a PV that is helping you to quit smoking. As soon as you connect vaping with cigarettes (using electronic cigarette or eCig words) some people instantly get turned off. It's not really an electronic cigarette because you're not burning anything, some of them just look like cigarettes. Oh well, some people will never want to know the truth and you can't help them, but you just might open the minds of some others. Who knows, your conversation might even help someone to quit the analogs.

invididual

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I'm concerned about how my five year old girl perceives this new thing. She's fascinated by it.

When I started vaping I was using an analog look a like and my daughter (4 at the time) started calling it my pretend cigarette. She was really fascinated with it at first, now I use a lavatube clone, and am expecting my provari any day, she still calls it my pretend cigarette despite looking nothing like one, and the fascination has dwindled down a bit, though she thinks it's hilarious when I exhale through my nose

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread