Vaping Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

djk2810

Apr 15, 2013
chicago
New to the forum, but have been lurking since November. Haven't had an analog drag since November 12th....been loving vape ever since. Recently I have developed quite a sore throat that is consistently awful. I was vaping the regular tobacco flavor from Aqua Vapor and a little Ry4 from Smokeless Image (I'm using a Volt)...Obviously both are very PG heavy....However, the sore throat didn't kick in until I made a switch to VG based liquids. At first I thought I was allergic to a new flavor but every vendor I try, the throat gets worse and worse. Heathers Heavenly Vapes, Vape Dudes, Mr. Vape, etc. Moved to a 50/50 ration and a 30/70 VG/PG and it is still bad. I also lessened the nic content from 18 to 12.....still have irritation. Perhaps I need to put it down for a few days and see if the throat recovers. This is awful though!

acid

Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
Northern California
is there any like study to prove vaping dehydrates you? I thought alcohol dehydrated you but if vaping dehydrates you then so does smoking a cig right? why the water thing, i don't get that. my throats not sore. but smoking has irritated it before so why not vaping..makes sense. I've been chain vaping some clove WTA and honey tobacco WTA, I kind of expect a sore throat sooner or later...I guess I understand the dehydration thing with cigs making your mouth dry, but I just don't see that with the vape. it makes my mouth water. :p

Donovan69

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
I have had a sore throat for a few weeks when I started vaping. It was right after I switched to an ego twist and a kanger t3. Although my vape experience went through the roof I was using a cinnamon flavour called fire n ice. (the flavour that got me off the death sticks) From what I hear is that cinnamon can be an irritant to the throat. Now that I switched to fruit flavours I don't get the sore throat anymore. I had a friend whom I got started vaping. He came over tonight so I could replace his kanger coils. he stated that he had a throat infection and he bought it was from vaping. I told him my experience, but told him that I thought it was due to his coils being fried. I pointed out to him that when he vaped he has a tendency to push the button on his ego twist a second before he draws and keeps his finger pressing the button for a few more seconds after his draw. This I feel is gumming up his coils. And therefore burning them out earlier than they should be. The other thing I could possibly think of was that he could perhaps either not be hydrating or he is sensitive to the pg or vg. The juice I get him is a 60/40 pg vg blend. Out of the 40 or so people that I have got vaping he is the only one who has come to me with this issue and I am feeling bad for him as he likes vaping and has quit smoking. I am sort of lost in this area so I came here to see if anyone else had these issues. I will keep checking back for more info. Thanks elf!

Deacon Aegis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
www.aegissteamcraft.com
Something else to keep in mind is that one should always endeavor to clean their equipment on a pretty regular basis. Use alcohol to sterilize tanks and tips. When moisture builds up in/on a drip tip, it can become a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria. Clean it frequently. With cigarettes, you smoke one, then throw it away. There is virtually no time for bacteria to build up on a cigarette ..... When you vape though, you are running warm, moist air through a device over and over again. Share that device with anyone to let them try vaping and now you have the possibility of cross contamination. So a good rule of thumb is to clean your drip tips and other gear frequently to kill off anything that may take root and start to grow. If you are not feeling well, not only try different juice combinations, but clean your stuff daily so you're not reintroducing germs and other little biologicals back to yourself through your own gear. Hope you start feeling better.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hello, everyone, sore throat is a normal side effect of vaping or rather, quitting cigarettes.

Theres a great section on this site called the infozone. on the first page in the lower right, there are two articles on sore throats and coughing. Right now your body is healing and though you think you'd feel better right off the bat, some, many experience symptoms like all of you above are describing. It happened to me and went away. You will get better from those side effects and then you might get other symptoms like "dead taste buds" or sensitive buds. Drinking water helps alot or if you are not a water person, a nice soda like a lemon-lime type helped me.

ECF InfoZone - The is the E-cigarette Forum Information Zone, for all your ecig needs

Last edited:

Rickman6982

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lynchburg, VA, USA
is there any like study to prove vaping dehydrates you? I thought alcohol dehydrated you but if vaping dehydrates you then so does smoking a cig right? why the water thing, i don't get that. my throats not sore. but smoking has irritated it before so why not vaping..makes sense. I've been chain vaping some clove WTA and honey tobacco WTA, I kind of expect a sore throat sooner or later...I guess I understand the dehydration thing with cigs making your mouth dry, but I just don't see that with the vape. it makes my mouth water. :p

If I remember what I have read from other posts correctly then PG and VG are both humectants which actually wick moisture away from tissue, therefore causing dry mouth and such. I find myself drinking a lot more water now than I did before I started vaping. The plus side to this is that I have also cut my intake of sodas down to almost none since water seems to be the only thing that really "wets my whistle" now. I read somewhere once that it takes 50% more volume of a caffeinated beverage to properly hydrate you than it does water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread