Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
In February 2017, I had surgery to repair a broken hip. Almost immediately, I developed symptoms of laryngitis. Weeks later and no improvement meant something else was going on.

My otolaryngologist told me that during the surgery, it is likely (though rare) that my vocal cord(s) suffered damage that he told me could only be addressed by a surgical procedure known as thyroplasty. Weeks of voice therapy had not worked. Surgery was the only other option.

Today, I am almost speaking normally.

About two weeks ago, my voice started coming back. Little by little, it has improved each day, to the point where I can now order at a busy drive thru, carry on a normal conversation and raise my voice (only when the kids get rowdy).

The only thing that changed was me switching again from smoking to vaping. I started vaping in 2011 and fell off the vaping wagon in late 2013. I didn't start vaping again until late May of 2017.

I mix most of my own liquids and lean heavily towards high VG.

The evidence is anecdotal. There's no proof that vaping cured me. But my otolaryngologist says that he can't explain what happened.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
There are still smokes I can't yet give up. First thing in the morning, after a meal, driving...

Yeah, the cutting back is significant and that is likely part of it. But I wouldn't have cut back without vaping.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The only thing that changed was me switching again from smoking to vaping. I started vaping in 2011 and fell off the vaping wagon in late 2013. I didn't start vaping again until late May of 2017.

I mix most of my own liquids and lean heavily towards high VG.

The evidence is anecdotal. There's no proof that vaping cured me. But my otolaryngologist says that he can't explain what happened.

Glad you are getting back to normal, IBCR Media! If you've ever seen someone inhaling vapor in a hospital bed with a nurse monitoring the treatment, it's PG fog! The nurses call it a breathing treatment. It clears the lungs and helps to heal pneumonia by using the PG fog to deliver medication to the throat and lungs.

I guess PG and VG must be good for vocal cords, too (from your experience).

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@IBCR Media - I agree that your vaping may have had a helpful effect on your vocal chords. My doctor told me while we were discussing my improved breathing, clear sounding lungs, and no more evidence of the mild COPD I was diagnosed with 8-10 years ago...that he's thinking the moist, warm, vapor probably helps the lungs heal more quickly after someone stops smoking. (Similar thinking as @DaveP mentioned above about inhaling PG to help with pneumonia.)

So, I'd say continue to vape more and smoke less...and you might be surprised at what further improvements occur with your vocal chords, too!
:thumbs:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
IBCR Media, It was probably the anesthesia tube that was installed in your throat to anesthetize you while they did the surgery. Sometimes, those tubes irritate the throat and they have to go through the vocal chords to get it in. There's all levels of expertise in the ranks of anesthesiologists.

Doctors may choose not to mention the exact cause, but anesthesia tubes commonly cause sore throats and irritation. Glad you are making progress in the healing process!

Craybee

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Washington, DC
There are still smokes I can't yet give up. First thing in the morning, after a meal, driving...

Yeah, the cutting back is significant and that is likely part of it. But I wouldn't have cut back without vaping.

giving up that first ciggie of the morning was tough for me too. i missed the "nicotine rush" from that first ciggie of the day. i think my first post on this forum four years ago was asking why i didn't get that same rush from vaping. someone here explained that the rush i was missing had less to do with nicotine than it did the carbon monoxide from smoking cigarettes decreasing oxygen to my brain. that's what causes the "rush". for whatever reason that scared me straight. i've never researched the accuracy of that answer but during moments of weakness it helped me to not go back to cigarettes again.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Glad to hear that your vocal cords are improving. Much of the past year, I could barely speak, I was so hoarse, and was on allergy meds for about 8 months since one of my docs thought it was that (there was lots of sneezing, coughing, etc., to go along with it.) Eventually, after getting scoped for possible lung cancer (my vocal cords were merely inflamed) we figured out it was Pneumonia-- again. I finally started the process of vaping... seriously. It took some dual use, but not much, and a month into vaping (only), I found that all my symptoms cleared up-- no residual wheezing, no coughing, no allergies, no hoarseness. So, you can totally cause that effect SIMPLY by smoking, no anasthesia needed. I'm surprised that your docs didn't catch smoking as a likely reason for non improvement and *suspect* (though I am no doctor) that you may have been misdiagnosed, or at least partially diagnosed. I was such a heavy smoker, I just had complete irritation in my entire respiratory system.

It feels so good to speak (and sing) again! There were times I cried in my car because I couldn't sing along to my favorite songs, so I know how that feels, and it sucks. I'd suggest trying strategies to continue vaping and put away smoking.... I found that more than 1 or 2 cigs a day when I fell of the wagon, I was right back to the hoarsness for a couple of days. So, I'm not sure my e-cigging improved my symptoms (It's possible, though I only use VG, sensitive to inhaling PG), but stopping smoking certainly did!

Congrats on your health improvements and keep up with vaping! When I get the odd urge to smoke, I always take some time to remember how I felt when I was smoking 2-3 ppd and was so miserable and felt like a way out for me. I don't claim e-cigs cause health improvements in ANY way other than making it POSSIBLE to quit smoking, but your story is inspiring, either way, so keep it up :)

All the best,

Anna

Reactions: Puff2K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread