Vapor residue on walls, carpet etc. Need help/advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Why would you assume it's mostly water vapor? eliquid is comprised of mostly PG/VG, water only makes up a small part of the liquid (I think 15% or so, read that somewhere here on ECF).

Also are vaporized water molecules bigger than vaporized PG/VG molecules?

Not sure about molecule size, you'd have to ask one of our resident chemists on that one. As far as why it's considered water vapor, VG and PG are both humectants. They absorb water from their surrounding environments, in this case our mucus membranes. According to the Clearstream study, PG was not found in the test room after active vaping by the volunteers. VG was found, but only at 72µg/m3. ClearStream-AIR project That pretty well leaves, well, water vapor.

Last edited:

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
Do your experiment with two bottles, one filtered through tissue. Then we'll know for sure...lol

I'd likely have one bottle with X amount of residue, and one bottle with less than X amount of residue. lol. Seems odd that you appear to think that the tissue is 100% absorbing any PG/VG/flavors/colors but is letting all the water vapor pass right by. Aren't tissues good at absorbing water (and likely water vapor?).

That reaction would be called evaporation.

Otherwise I would have a very wet house. (Ignore the fact that I forgot and left the kitchen sink running tonight and have a very wet house at the moment.)

Think of it like this. You boil a gallon of water in a sealed room until the pot is dry. That gallon of water has been evaporated into the air.

However the room you are in now has a massively increased humidity, since that gallon of water is now in gaseous form floating around in the room. Likely making you wet/damp from the extremely high humidity. Heck, think about the sun hitting water causing evaporation to eventually form clouds. And when water vapor builds up too much, it falls in the form of rain. It doesn't just go away when it is evaporated. It may not be visible to the naked eye, but it is still there.

In a similar way, vaping eliquid doesn't just make the liquid disappear completely after the vapor is no longer noticeable, it may not be visible but it is floating around, collecting on surfaces. And if enough of it builds up over time, you get a residue. This wouldn't be the case if it was pure water vapor/steam, as it would evaporate and add to the rooms relative humidity, and only leave behind anything that got caught in it as it attached to the surface (like dust). But I don't think that PG/VG is as pure as water vapor/steam/etc. You spill that stuff on a surface, it is now sticky and/or slimy/oily, even after it has visibly dried.

Here is a good post from a CASAA board member, basically de-bunking the myth about ecig vapor being water-vapor only.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hs-we-exhaling-water-vapor-5.html#post1964276

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I'd likely have one bottle with X amount of residue, and one bottle with less than X amount of residue. lol. Seems odd that you appear to think that the tissue is 100% absorbing any PG/VG/flavors/colors but is letting all the water vapor pass right by. Aren't tissues good at absorbing water (and likely water vapor?).

No, it just seems to me that the PG/VG would be more dense and not as likely to slip past the tissue as water would.

I don't know, mind you. I'm just speculating.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
it seems odd to me but IF anything at all remains in the vapor, (besides water vapor which can not really be a concern to anyone), would be water soluble! which would mean it would be readily washable in soap and water. ergo where is the problem ?

The labor involved in cleaning the residue, one would think.

I can't imagine it would be that bad, though. Just a regular cleaning of the wall before repainting as is always done regardless, and if no repainting is happening it's doubtful anyone would even notice a residue.

The Vagabond

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
LA,California,USA
The labor involved in cleaning the residue, one would think.

I can't imagine it would be that bad, though. Just a regular cleaning of the wall before repainting as is always done regardless, and if no repainting is happening it's doubtful anyone would even notice a residue.

exactly - if the landlord isn't re-painting and shampooing the carpet when he re-rents the place he's in violation in most cities (in the usa)

Wes F.

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Guam
exactly - if the landlord isn't re-painting and shampooing the carpet when he re-rents the place he's in violation in most cities (in the usa)

I used to live in Florida, they were required to paint and re-carpet whenever a tenant moved out. But that is besides the point... The fact that we are actually talking about this, 10 pages of this, is stupid. Close your blinds, move out or go outside. If residue from vaping EVER became an issue, you were a dirty tenant and that it is the least of your worries. I chain vape all day when I'm at home and NOTHING, ever... Seriously, why are we still entertaining the notion that it is a problem worth debating? It isn't.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I used to live in Florida, they were required to paint and re-carpet whenever a tenant moved out. But that is besides the point... The fact that we are actually talking about this, 10 pages of this, is stupid. Close your blinds, move out or go outside. If residue from vaping EVER became an issue, you were a dirty tenant and that it is the least of your worries. I chain vape all day when I'm at home and NOTHING, ever... Seriously, why are we still entertaining the notion that it is a problem worth debating? It isn't.

Because of curiosity, for one. For another, it would be nice to be able to say with a bit of certainty that it does not leave any residue. Just one more step towards disproving some of the ANTZ stance.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

Think of it like this. You boil a gallon of water in a sealed room until the pot is dry. That gallon of water has been evaporated into the air.

However the room you are in now has a massively increased humidity, since that gallon of water is now in gaseous form floating around in the room. Likely making you wet/damp from the extremely high humidity. Heck, think about the sun hitting water causing evaporation to eventually form clouds. And when water vapor builds up too much, it falls in the form of rain. It doesn't just go away when it is evaporated. It may not be visible to the naked eye, but it is still there.

In a similar way, vaping eliquid doesn't just make the liquid disappear completely after the vapor is no longer noticeable, it may not be visible but it is floating around, collecting on surfaces. And if enough of it builds up over time, you get a residue. This wouldn't be the case if it was pure water vapor/steam, as it would evaporate and add to the rooms relative humidity, and only leave behind anything that got caught in it as it attached to the surface (like dust). But I don't think that PG/VG is as pure as water vapor/steam/etc. You spill that stuff on a surface, it is now sticky and/or slimy/oily, even after it has visibly dried.

Here is a good post from a CASAA board member, basically de-bunking the myth about ecig vapor being water-vapor only.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hs-we-exhaling-water-vapor-5.html#post1964276

I never said it was only water vapor. I said it dries.
PG is not only the liquid form you think of. When I got my colonoscopy prep it was a powder and mostly PG. However if you live in a high humidity it could attract moisture and keep itself wet longer.
Buy some heavily PG laced pipe tobacco like Captain Black and you have to set it out to dry, and it does dry.
I just dug to the bottom of my paper towel pile (and I used 100% PG free for most of the time) and the old towels are not as wet as they once were.

I think we've already established that everything creates a film. Even your body flakes apart and creates a film of dust. The real issue with vapor is the type of film. The real question is the type of film vaping causes.
Is it a sticky oily hard to clean film like tar and nicotine? Most definitely not.
Is it is a dried oil that sticks but if fairly easy to clean, like a fingerprint? Possibly (although I don't see it in my life).
Is it a dust? Possibly.

Would it attract moisture in its dried state? By all rights it should.

Mykbusters says in the right atmospheric conditions you could see a persistent film from your vapor but it would be water soluble and easy to clean. It's plausible that some people have a film.
It's likely that anyone making a big deal about this film has ANTZ in their brain making a mountain out of a molehill trying to link vaping with smoking.

Firechief2

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Edmonton
I vape heavily in my office, car and house (for a number of years) and have seen no evidence of an accumulation on walls, windows etc.
But ----- several years ago I borrowed a new office building complex to do a fire drill in. Fired up the PG smoke generator and filled the building. After the drill was completed the building was fully vented (fans) -----------------and I had to call in a cleaning crew :(.
You could literally skate on the floors, countertops and window sills. So yes, there is certainly a residue left behind ------ if you are vaping a high end smoke generator :)

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I've been pondering this since the thread started... shhh, yea I'm like that... and wondering why such a difference in experiences.

Here's what I've come with. I'm a painter (as in paint on canvas) and use PG/water mist on my water colors palette to keep them from drying. I live in a very dry climate.... Arizona high desert where the humidity today is 14% for instance... so my paint drys pretty fast without it. I also use a mix of water/PG in a spray bottle to keep misting as I work as well as having PG in the water bath my brushes sit in when working with acrylic paints. I makes a huge difference. So what am I saying? PG/VG both grab any available moisture in the air and that is why some see a residue and some don't. That moisture it attracts is mixed with all the other stuff in the air... dust, etc. so some see a residue and some don't. PG/VG both grab any moisture around including from your body and is why it dehydrates. So, anyway, I believe that's it. Some, depending on their environment and the relative moisture in it will see residue (water + dust = mud) or not but its mainly what the PG/VG attracts and not the PG/VG itself which is really not noticable.

BTW, a tip I'll pass on... knowing what PG did painting, I started using it in my steam cleaner too... makes water wetter so to speak (surface tension and all that) and does a much better job of cleaning both hard floors and carpets. I just thought... wow, when I had carpeting, it did seem to get dirty quicker after I started using PG but never put it together til now... of course it did, the dried PG continued to attract whatever moisture was in the air along with the dirt in it and on the flooring under the carpet. LOL duh. It always puzzled me because I worked so hard at not using products that left a residue to attract more dirt (ie soaps) and now I know what was going on... glad I don't have carpet anymore.

Last edited:

Ramjet

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
USA
joekittock.blogspot.com

I picked this up again at about pg.10 and said to myself, stop at pg.15...I'm recovering from a dbl. hernia repair so I have nothing better tp do right now:blink:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
The residue became considerably worse after my ProVari began to take trips in the car with me. Most owners would say it is a high end vapor generator.

Dang that would make my 25 dollar spinners into a high end vapor generator too. I always use them while driving. I may have to go cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread