Status
Not open for further replies.

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
I read recently that Smoktech is coming out with a variable volt, and variable wattage device called the zmax. Now the question I have is are they not one in the same? Like, when I adjust the voltage on my VV device, am I not adjusting the wattage as well? If you have so many volts going through a low resistance carto, it requires a certain amount of watts and AMP's. If I adjust my watt's I will also be adjusting my volts. Everything is determined by the resistance factor, correct? Are we splitting hairs here, or is there actually a difference. I mean if you set your kick for 8 watts and put on an LR carto, it adjusts the volts and amps of the battery. If you the remove and replace with a standard resistance carto, it again adjusts the voltage and amperage.
So My question is, what's all the hub-bub? Do we need to make things clear to those who think they are buying something different, or is there really a difference? I do understand Ohm's law, so need for a refresher. Those with clear perspectives chime in. vape on!

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think the difference or benifit from having a variable wattage device is that you don't necessarily have to think about it as much when switching between different atomizers or different resistances or worry about "will I be at the right setting".

I for one like the idea of having control of changing my voltage and thus my wattage instead of having something that will adjust automatically (voltage in a variable wattage device)

I don't think that one or the other is better or worse but more question of how you want your power output to be determined.

One great thing about a Kick tho, let's say you have a mechanical 18650 tube mod and want to try out some variable power but don't wanna throw down green for a Provari....bam!! throw a Kick on there and you have just made a nice upgrade.
:2c::toast::vapor::headbang::thumb: i like smilies...8-o

course refresher:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/1.html

Ctor

static void Main()
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New Jersey
Variable volt and variable wattage are a bit of a misnomer.

Variable voltage refers to an adjustable constant voltage mode, where you set the voltage (adjustable or variable) and the mod puts out that constant voltage(or should) regardless of the load (carto, atty, etc) within the devices limits. The wattage will change if the load changes because the load will draw different amount of current (amps).

Variable wattage refers to an adjustable constant wattage mode where you set a wattage level (adjustable or variable) and the mod maintains that constant wattage (or should :) ) regardless of the load, again within the devices limits. Here, if the load changes, the device senses this and adjusts the voltage automatically to keep the wattage constant.

From what I understand, the Zmax will allow you to choose between the two modes, and will work accordingly.

HTH.

Last edited:

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Kick definately has a benefit in a standard voltage mod. But the way I am seeing this zmax touted is you can adjust your watts AND your volts, like they have nothing to do with one another.

I see what yer saying. I can't really find any info on the model regarding how or why it does VV and VW, maybe it has the option to do one or the other? Cause I agree how it doesn't really make sense (or even be possible) to do both at the same time :confused: (no shoulder shrug smilie...)

What do I care, I'm on a Provari.......;) jk

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I have used both kinds of devices and for me, I like to turn a dial or punch in my desired value to vape at and be done with it. Kind of splitting hairs, I think so too, Nur. In the end there is no difference.. Selling points... You know the drill. IMO.

The 2 types of devices do work differently to achieve the same thing in the end,,

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The thing about this stuff that always cracks me up.....

Different atomizers/cartos perform differently. So you have to change the wattage/voltage based on experience anyway. Variable wattage (ala Darwin and such) is probably better... but all are irrelevant because you just adjust it up or down until you like it.

I've threatened a couple of times to make an e-cig with a color coded twist dial... red to blue gradient. No numbers. No math. Just adjust it.

It's good to know the ohm rating of the load so you know about where to start, otherwise meh. My vv box mod has no scale or readout. Don't need one. I did put a couple of dots on it for reference points around 3.7 v and 5.0 v ish. But still meh.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Gotcha! We'll wait and see what happens, revision 5 will probably be out by Christmas at this pace.

True, it's moving so quick nowadays it's hard to keep up.

Maybe a lil off topic but I do find something very hilarious, all the "Provari Haters" out there will ..... and complain about the tedious, annoying, hard to manage, picky "menu system" of the Provari but the Vmax and Zmax has the same damn 1-button menu system!! But it is not as near as tedious or annoying since it is cheaper...;) disclaimer: not dogging anybody, I just find it funny :toast:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Question. Are there any device options out there other than the "Darwin" or "The Kick"? I like the idea of variable watt but the Darwin is not the best option for on the go vaping. The Kick is nice but to make adjustments is not as easy as say the Provari. Does anyone thing Provari would make a VW device?

It's possible. No one knows the mind of Provape. They remain pretty quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread