Variable Wattage, Variable Whattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnie B

Mar 11, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been vaping for a few months now and lately I've been thinking about upgrading. I've been using egos & ego twists. Tonight I stopped by my local vape shop to pick up some juice & ended buying a Vamo, which is VV/VW. I have some knowledge about VV but no experience with variable wattage. The Vamo can go from 3-15 watts in .5 increments. I have a few questions: What's the purpose/benefits of VW? When and why should I adjust the wattage? Do different tanks/cartos/clearomizers need wattage adjustments, or is there a certain wattage that would work well for everything? I would appreciate some advice.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I just got my vamo today (YAY for vapemail).

As I understand it once you find your sweet spot in wattage the vamo will automatically set its voltage to get you as close as it can to that wattage no matter WHAT you screw on it.

For someone that doesn't like to fiddle with it like me it is great.

Draconian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
San Antonio
Pretty simple, and the VAMO (I have a couple) was a great choice. The advantage of variable wattage is that it is pretty much set and forget - if you set it for say, 8 watts - ANY device - regardless of resistance - should give the same vape. Variable wattage is a lot less fiddly - 1.2 ohms - 2.5 ohms - whatever - it will adjust itself to the resistance and provide the same power.
Generally - on the VAMO - set it between 7 and 9 watts - and it will give a great vape.

jangeisler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Denmark
+1 to the previous posts.

As an explanation; when you find your "sweet spot" voltage on a vv, you can calculate the wattage (volt x volt / ohms).

The wattage is the power actually delivered, and increases if you increase the volts and/or decrease the ohms, and vice versa.

So, if you like vaping at 8w on a vv, and you change the mizer, you would have to calculate to find out where to set the volts at. This is unneeded with vw, as it measures the resistance and sets the volts accordingly.

Jimmy_Noname

Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
Monterey, California
Ohm's law. W = V^2 / R Wattage is equal to Voltage squared divided by Resistance. So if you figure you like to vape your favorite juice at a certain wattage, your new Vamo can always adjust the voltage to get your desired watts, no matter what carto, atty, thingy you throw at it (that's where all the 1.5ohm, 2.5ohm stuff comes into play).

Last edited:

TJ2Q

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2013
NE Ohio
Ohm's law. W = V x R Wattage is equal to Voltage times Resistance. So if you figure you like to vape your favorite juice at a certain wattage, your new Vamo can always adjust the voltage to get your desired watts, no matter what carto, atty, thingy you throw at it (that's where all the 1.5ohm, 2.5ohm stuff comes into play).

W=V²/R

you might be getting your formula confused with amps... in which case, W=VxA

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
For me the biggest advantage of VV is true voltage regulation. I get consistent vapor quality as the battery voltage falls. The second advantage is VV itself and the ability to change vapor qualities without changing resistance of the atomizing device. VW adds another advantage to VV: the ability to change out atomizing devices of different resistances without adjusting output voltage or power.

Draconian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
San Antonio
Great info to have, Draconian. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Vamo (first mod) and had the "whattage" question too. That clears it up just a little bit. I'm guessing things will be even clearer once I get it in hand and can dial it in myself. I like the set it and forget it aspect.

The vamo - really - even for the price which is really low - is a great MOD. I have 2 of them in front of me now. The advantage with wattage it that it really doesn't change - ANY device - because of OHMS law - regardless of it's resistance - will give the same vape. If you set the device for 8 watts at a 2 ohm resistance - the device will send 4 volts. Change your device on the top - it will adjust what it sends - if you give more resistance it will send more voltage - less resistance, less voltage. Find your sweet spot - mine is usually 8 to 9 watts - and - forget about it.

Jimmy_Noname

Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
Monterey, California
W=V²/R

you might be getting your formula confused with amps... in which case, W=VxA

Yup, thanks for catching that for me.

I didn't bother with formulas. I just put my device on. Set the vamo to wattage then adjusted the wattage up or down until I found a vape I liked. Now whichever device I stick on there it adjusts itself so I get that wattage

Yeah that's the best way to do it, I would think lol.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just took Draconian's advice and set my Vamo to 8 watts and Holy Crap! I just blew out more vapor than i ever have since i started vaping! Now I get the whole VV/VW thing, I'm pretty damn excited about my new toy.

That makes me look forward to getting mine even more. What battery configuration are you using? Also, what kind of tank/whatever are you using?

Bonnie B

Mar 11, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
That makes me look forward to getting mine even more. What battery configuration are you using? Also, what kind of tank/whatever are you using?

So far I've been using it with just 1 battery, I kinda like it shorter. I've been using a Kanger Protank, a mini vivi nova and a CE3 bottom coil. My favorite, as usual is the least expensive the CE3 bottom coils that sell for $8-$9 for 5 of them, go figure.

So far I've been using it with just 1 battery, I kinda like it shorter. I've been using a Kanger Protank, a mini vivi nova and a CE3 bottom coil. My favorite, as usual is the least expensive the CE3 bottom coils that sell for $8-$9 for 5 of them, go figure.

Just one 18350? I think I'd like the shorter size with an 18350 but I'm worried that just one won't have enough life/power to last me the better part of the day and I'd end up stacking two of them. Right now I'm thinking about getting two 18650's so I can have one in the Vamo and a fully charged spare on hand just in case. If the one 18350 configuration will give me a decent battery life at around 8 watts, I'd rather go that route just for the smaller mod size.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Isn't VW a car?

Besides...think of it this way....VW = auto-adjusting VV. However since different coil devices perform differently for a given wattage...YMMV. I just use VV and turn the little dial up or down until I like the vape. My VV device doesn't even have a readout or scale on the dial. lol.

So you can debate which way is best...but in the end it doesn't matter much. Do what ya like. I guess if you have a bunch of the same cartos with different flavors and the ohms vary a bit, and you swap out all day long...it could be handy. I vape the same flavor for 3 days strait on the same coil...so meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread