VG versus throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hook425

Jan 17, 2010
Canada
I need to seriously reduce the throat hit by half ! I have ordered 5 different type of juice in 24mg and 18mg nic level. The throat hit is just too much. I go in uncontrollable cough and I am thinking of giving this up, and I smoke pretty strong cigarettes (1.5 pack a day).

1. Will mixing VG with the PG juice I have reduce throat hit ?
2. I thought we could find VG locally at pharmacy ? is that correct ?
3. vape difference between VG and PG ?

Thanks

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
First, are you smoking your vapor, or are you vaping it?

If you work your mouth and lungs like it was an analog, it will make you go into coughing fits.

Try to slowly draw the vapor into your mouth for a few seconds. Then open your mouth wider than you used to do and draw that mouthful into your lungs. If that still causes the coughing fits, then you do need to do something else.

You can get VG at a Walmart that has pharmacy. It will be near the bandages and is bottled as skin protection. It will have glycerin USP on the label. Using it in your juice will cut the nic down and smooth out the TH, but also produce more vapor.

PG will usually increase TH and does not produce as much vapor. VG will usually decrease TH and produce more vapor.

(PS: I am not familiar with Canada stores or their stocking, so where to find VG may vary in your area. As with all suggestions on ECF YMMV.)

sheep

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hey hook that VG should be fine. I use the NOW brand VG which you can find at health food stores, in the skin care section. You can also get it at Safeway where it is branded as just Glycerine USP (the USP bit is important, if it's USP you're okay).

I find the VG smooths out the hit quite a bit, really reduces that throat hit. I need that TH in the morning, but by the end of the day, each drag can feel like I'm being poked in the throat. So I use a vg based low or zero nic in the evening.

Good luck!

Found these in the local supermarket. (not in skin care... but next to the Castor Oils and stuff)

Attachments

• IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 11

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Thanks for all your advice. Got Glyciren USP:p today at local drugstore. I will try cutting my 26mg juice to find out if I can fianlly stop coughing.

More later !

It might be PG itself. Many, like me, cannot tolerate it. VG has almost no throat hit in of itself. TH is simply throat irritation, plain and simple. I prefer a juice where the TH is only from nic, and my juices are VG, nic, flavor, and distilled water (~20%). Anything that irritates your throat, be it PG, nic, or some flavors, will create a TH, and everyone is different in their sensitivity. A juice makes one person cough a lot might be another's wake up juice. It does take a couple weeks to find out what works for you.

Spankmeister

Feb 22, 2010
South Florida
My first round of gear consisted of just high Nic PG juice...
I am the same, I like the taste, but cannot at all inhale this stuff....
And I am a 1 1/2 pack a day Camel filter smoker...
It is a bit better with the 510 than with the KR8 I have, but this week I ordered a bunch of VG juice, blank cartos and carts for both e-cigs and we will see how that works...
I find that if I do a cigar pull, keep the vapor in my mouth and then inhale through my nose while the vapor comes out my mouth, that has worked pretty well so far...
At least it has worked in cutting down my Analog consumption by at least half, once I get the mix right, lower nic and cutting my stuff with some VG, I am sure I can give up analogs...

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
My first round of gear consisted of just high Nic PG juice...
I am the same, I like the taste, but cannot at all inhale this stuff....
And I am a 1 1/2 pack a day Camel filter smoker...
It is a bit better with the 510 than with the KR8 I have, but this week I ordered a bunch of VG juice, blank cartos and carts for both e-cigs and we will see how that works...
I find that if I do a cigar pull, keep the vapor in my mouth and then inhale through my nose while the vapor comes out my mouth, that has worked pretty well so far...
At least it has worked in cutting down my Analog consumption by at least half, once I get the mix right, lower nic and cutting my stuff with some VG, I am sure I can give up analogs...

I wouldn't force the issue. Get some USP vegetable glycerin, and add about 15% distilled water or 10% vodka, and see how that vapes for you first. If it is smooth, it is likely the PG doing it, and VG juices will work fine. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread