Vtc4 battery leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticks11

Oct 28, 2014
Has this happened to anyone else? Causes? image.jpg just now figured out how to post pictures

Last edited:

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
There are many things which can cause a LI battery to leak.

Defect in manufacturing
Physical abuse
discharged too low
overcharged
shorted
and the ever popular many more

The goo that leaks out is corrosive and toxic. Clean it up and throw out the battery.

Check you mod to be sure it is not shorting the battery and do not let it discharge too far. Check the voltage of a battery after you charge it and it should nob be above 4.3 volts, if it is get a new charger. Check that batteries do not get warm when charging, if they do some chargers have a way to charge slower and if not get a new charger. Be careful when chargeing batteries cause if things go wrong bad things can happen, I do not charge while asleep or out of the house.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've never seen this in one of my batteries. Unless the metal casing has a hole, I suspect it's leaking from the positive end, correct? Here's some information about how these batteries are built. The VTC batts are not protected, so just ignore that part of it.

I suspect it's leaking through the CID or pressure valve, or there is a defect in that general area. There is nothing good about this and there could be a few bad things about it so I would re-cycle that battery. Certainly, do not use it for anything, specially vaping, ever again.

I don't know the safest way to get it to the re-cycle station. I Googled a bit and found this: What to do with a (possibly) defective lithium-ion battery.

Be careful, they can explode if things go really bad so take this seriously.

Last edited:

ScottChensoda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Lat:51.53889/Long:0.14743
Before I'd make a judgement I would like the following information concerning the history of the battery.

Where and when it was bought
How it has been used, i.e.;
Devices - atty and coil ohmage along with mod and singly or multiple pack
Which charger it has been charged on and whether it has been left on the charger after fully charging
How it's been stored
Viscosity of emitted liquid
Is the discharge naturally oozing or is it helped by shaking the cell prior?
Just checked the date and that seems ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread