trepalium

I'm a Panda
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
hoosiervapers.com
I'm thinking about picking up a vv eGo battery. I've been using egos for a little while and it seemed like a very inexpensive way to try a little higher voltage. I'm leaving thursday and don't want to wait on shipping, so I'm going to my local indy vapor shop. They have a box mod, with batteries and charger it's ~$66. The eGo Battery is ~$29.99

Which should I get? I'm under a bit of a penny crunch, so I thought the eGo would be better because I could pick up some more cartomizers, etc. while I'm there. What do you think? Is the eGo vv even worth it?

Variable Voltage Battery - Joye eGo Parts & Accessories

Electronic Cigarette Box Mod - Battery

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
$66 bucks your basically in the lavatube/varitube range which i'd rather do than the limited settings you get with that ego. If you use 3 ohm cartomizers that 4.2 settings isnt going to get that different of an experience.

for 3 bucks you can get a 510 to ego connector for the lavatube/varitube that you can use all your old ego threaded stuff on.

trepalium

I'm a Panda
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
hoosiervapers.com
The $66 is for a vv box mod that does 3.7 to 7.4v with a 510 connection. The vv ego is only $29.

My question is whether or not to spend the $66 on the box, batteries, and charge or the $29 on the vv eGo.

Also, if I'm not mistaken isn't the ego already threaded for 510? I'm pretty sure I use 510 cartomizers.

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
i mixed the two up, dang-it.

The ego is threaded for 510 but it has an outter thread that cones and certain cartomizers screw into.

30 bucks isnt bad for that unit but it doesnt give you a lot of choices on the voltage. My thought here is still, $30 gets you half way to a lavatube/varitube.

When i got my lavatube, i completely stopped using all my ego stuff. Its such a game changing experience that i dont want to use anything else. Being able to go from 3 to 6 volts in .1 incriments by pushing a button is so great. Ive found that every juice i like responds different at different voltages. Being able to find that sweet spot is so so great.

That being said, a lot of variable voltage devices dont like dual coil's. Reading the description of the box mod seems like its got the same problem as the old provari's. It just turns off if you try and push to much voltage through what it percieves as a low resistance coil.

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
awesome.

Ive found some of the carto's out there dont reach all the way down into the drip cup on my varitube. I just use one of these and it solves the problem

V2 510 Shorty Extension Sealed

you can check the battery level by clicking on the power button 7 times. Recharge you battery when it hits 3.5. It will keep firing below that, i took mine down to 3.2 and it was fine, but your fully discharging the battery. By recharging at ~50% you're extending the life of the battery.

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
do you know the ohm of the dual coil? The max voltage the protection circuit will let you send through a dual coil is the amperage of the lavatube, 2.5, time the ohm's. So if its a 1.5 ohm dual coil, the max the lavatube will let you send through is 3.7v plus or minus .2v.

Most people will tell you to stay away from the dual coils on variable voltage. Especially on mod's with protection circuits like the lavatube. Many vendors are now selling single coil tank cartomizers that work in the dual coil tanks like this one

Tank Replacement Single Coil Cartomizers, 3.0 ohms

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
The lavatube will auto turn down the voltage you send through it so it doesnt pop the coils. The old provari's would turn off like that box mod you posted. The lavatube just measures the ohm's and wont send through more than what it thinks the coil can take. So you could set it to 6v and it will only send through 3.7v plus or minus .2. The plus or minus is because the resistance on the carto can be plus or minus .2 as well. You can pull 5 cartos out of a box that are labeled 2 ohm and some of them will actually meter out at 2.1 or 1.9 and some will be 2.0 on the nose.

In a dual coil, the actual resistance of each coil is double what carto is labled. So your carto is 2 3ohm coil wired together which halves the resistance down to 1.5. Even though there are 2 3 ohm coils in there, the protection circuit detects them as 1.5 and adjusts accordingly.

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
Ok. I got it backwards. Is it safe to use the dual coils until I can order the single coil?

Yeah it's totally safe. The lava tube won't let you nuke it. Set it to 4.0 and the tube will adjust it down to whatever it considers safe. The dual coils can take more than what all but a few expensive mods will let you pump into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread