Washing a coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesitantly

Mar 21, 2014
Temple, TX, USA
I have a Protank 2 Mini, (I think that's the name), on a Mini X9 and I've read on here about "washing" coils. Do you wash it with just water, when changing flavors? The water doesn't hurt it? Do you wash out the tank, too? I've just been adding the new flavor to whatever's left of the old. Also, how do you know when your coil has "gone out"? Salesman told me they last a couple of weeks, and I've had mine that long now. Just got some 1.8ohm replacements in the mail. Thanks.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Google dry burning a coil. Yes you can wash it. Then you dry burn it. Aside from changing flavors, you will want to dry burn when you start to get a burnt or dirty taste or your vape production starts to drop off. I dry burn my coils every 2-3 tank fulls.

Welcome, your in the right place. You never have to smoke a cigarette again!

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I think the washing and dry burning has been covered.

To answer your other question, coils can last a LONG with washing, dry burning, and occasional rewicking. You really only need to replace a coil when it either stops getting hot enough to produce vapor like it should, or it fails to fire completely. With cleaning and rewicking coils can last more than a month.

My wife has managed to get the most life I've ever seen out of a coil. She vapes nothing but pure, clear menthol. With the occasional cleaning and dry burning she's had a single coil last over 4 months in her iClear 30s. The best I've achieved is only about half that, but I vape all kinds of different flavors and usually at much higher wattages than she does.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
I am one that just drops my used coils in a glass of warm water to soak for a couple of hours. Then I rinse and let them air dry thoroughly. I haven't gotten into dry burning the coils either. I don't like taking things apart and fiddling with them, but that's just me. :)
The ones that I soak/clean that way last quite a while. They only cost about $1, so I just replace them when they don't work well.

When I think of what I spent on 2 packs of cigarettes a day, replacing a $1 coil every once in a while is a huge bargain!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I am one that just drops my used coils in a glass of warm water to soak for a couple of hours. Then I rinse and let them air dry thoroughly. I haven't gotten into dry burning the coils either. I don't like taking things apart and fiddling with them, but that's just me. :)
The ones that I soak/clean that way last quite a while. They only cost about $1, so I just replace them when they don't work well.

When I think of what I spent on 2 packs of cigarettes a day, replacing a $1 coil every once in a while is a huge bargain!

You and me both, not liking to fiddle with mechanical things -- jeez, I'm a GIRL, not a mechanic! ;) However I really had to dry burn mine, they tasted awful and I couldn't afford just then to buy more, so I had to bite the bullet, and it's actually not difficult or scary at all. The hardest part about it is figuring out how much wicking to put on top of the little coil itself, so it a) doesn't leak all over the battery (with thin juice and wicks that don't fill the little slots on the sides), or b) give you nasty tasting dry hits (thick juice or too much wicking!). I use thin juice so I've had several battery floods trying to get this right. I finally got the money to order more coils, so I did, and finally got them! So I have 3 working tanks again, and also now a carto, and tomorrow, VAPEMAIL! a new Mini PT II, and a 5 pk of cartos! :banana: Also some of that lovely Virginia e-juice from MFS!! :thumb:

But anyway.. the actual washing and dry burning is a piece of cake. Here's the video that Alisa1970 pointed me to, and it's great! (also for the OP, who wanted to know about dry burning)

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I will rinse Kanger coils in hot water after every tank.
If the coil has been used with dark ejuice, I will give it a soak in hot water, in a measuring cup and add a tab of denture cleaner, then let it soak over night. Then I will rinse in hot water, pop the chimney off, remove the flavor wicks, dry burn, replace the flavor wicks and use them some more.

Really burnt/gunked up wicks I will discard and rewick with cotton.

When the coils eventually break. I will wind a new coil with 30 gauge Kanthal and rewick with cotton. Once rewicked with cotton, you must replace that cotton with every clean.

I get at least a month of use out of a factory Kanger coil before I need to rewick. New Kanthal coils last a long time also.

It is a lot of futzing around with a $1.50 replacemant part but then again, I have 100 feet of kanthal and a bag of cottonballs into working coils pertty much forever.

kachuge

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Well, I did it. Got a new Mini Protank 2, ran some of the nastiest Banana Split juice through it, and had to rid it of that taste, so I cleaned and dry-burned it. Only hitch was that I dropped the wick on the counter from my tweezers and it broke into about 10 strands. Ooops!!! I, ever so carefully, put them back in place one by one, and it worked just fine. (I had 10 extra 1.8s, but this one was a 2.2, so I wanted to try it.) It was kind of fun; I like tinkering with stuff. Thanks again, for the videos - couldn't have done it without them.

Xtro

Feb 25, 2014
Northants UK
For my Mini Protank2 and Evod, I usually clean the coils once a week to 10 days, by removing the chimney from the base and run them under water for a few minutes. Discard the wick and drop the 2 parts into a dish with some vinegar and baking soda for a few hrs. When that's done I go rinse them again, and if the coil still looks dirty, I'll take a scalpel and scratch off any remaining residue. Forgot to say, I make microcoils for my tanks, so all the winds are tight and touching, making scratching them with a blade not a problem. I wouldn't try that with the ready made coils or you're likely to damage them. Once they're clean I just leave them to dry and rewick them with a piece of cotton ball. I don't dry burn the coils.
I have around half a dozen coils and always use a newly made up one for a different juice. Don't get any of the old juice taste that way. The great thing about using a microcoil is they seem to last longer, are more robust and easier to clean.
As far as the tanks go, I just take apart the Mini Protank2 and rinse and wash all the parts until the old juice smell has gone. Leave it to dry and reassemble with the new coil.
The worst juices I find for getting rid of the old taste and smell are Menthols and Orange.

hackhavn

Mar 18, 2014
United States
I always washed them with hot water. Tank, coil, wick and then did a dry burn to clean up the wicks and coils. Below is a video on the process. I didn't watch the whole thing but you should get the general idea.

Txtcolt's link on page one has a great vid on how to dry burn the ProTank attys....will be trying l8r this week on my dead soldier attys. thanks for the heads up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread