WebMD half Truth, CAASA please sent them straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penner

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
USA
Hi,

I just read an article in WebMD (which is a popular medical forum/med knowledge repository, for better or worse)...
Anyway, they have an article about a study re: 0 nic quitting smoking inhalers (that sounds to me like an e cig).

Only they didn't:

1. explain that e cigs can also be 0 nic (plus all the study participants got exogenous nicotine via nicotine patch + bupropion + counseling anyway - go figure! Its not really nicotine free anyway!)

2. the vapor "juice" in these inhalers was (IMHO) possibly actually dangerous as they consisted of "naturally extracted herbal aroma oil".
a. Now I've read many places (here & elsewhere), that OIL is a bad idea to vape - think lipoid pneumonia which could lead to interstitial chronic lung disease).
b. What the heck is "naturally extracted" anyway? They did their extraction in a jungle instead of a lab?!?

So, I am asking CASAA who have some weight in these matters, to try to get a rebuttal to this article in WebMD.

Just a heads up to CASAA is really, all this post is:

Nicotine-Free 'Fake' Cigarettes May Help Smokers Quit

This hit a nerve with me, as I quit smoking completely the day I started with an e cig. Even tho they can't be touted as a quit smoking device, it sure helped me!

HTH

Last edited:
There's several articles about this study, but this one gives some details that were sketchy in some of the other articles. Apparently, they were testing using a product called "Paipo":
Cosa1.jpg

Judging by that picture and the description in the article, I don't think this is electric and according to the website..the product has been available for 25 years. I don't see any indication that it creates a visible vapor, so basically this is what is known as a "sham cigarette". PAIPO | Cut Down or Quit Smoking the Easy Way

The good to be gleaned from this study is that researcher are (finally!) recognizing that there's more to smoking than just the addiction to nicotine and getting smokers to "want" to quit. The authors of this study claim to be the first to look at the behavioral aspect, but truthfully our friends at tobaccoharmreduction.org have been doing this research for years just trying to get people to listen.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The article's second paragraph specifies that they are not talking about an electronic cigarette.

Unlike electronic or "e-cigarettes," the nicotine-free inhalers are billed in Europe as aids for people who are trying to quit smoking that can be used in conjunction with nicotine replacement, drugs for smoking cessation, and counseling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread