well alrighty then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

run23

Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
out and about...
about to make a purchase i know i'm not going to regret, but...i have a couple questions. reoville seems like a nice place so i'll jump right in.

settled on the mini 2.1. i'm not an all day vaper so i don't need the extra capacity, (juice and battery life).
RM2. check.
batts and charger i'll search around and buy based on rob's recommendations.
going to order a couple extra 3ml bottles, a button top and probably an extra spring or two...which leads me to my question:

micro coils vs. standard coils. this has my head spinning to be honest. wrapping a micro coil sounds fun and not at all intimidating until i think about what gauge kanthal to use and how many wraps i want. then i start thinking about silica vs. cotton wicks, then i see that there are two different sizes of silica wicks and my head just explodes.

let's say i will use cotton wicks and want to use micro coils. what gauge kanthal should i be looking at and how many wraps? i've noticed the trend of thinner wire (28ish) = more wraps which classifies it as a micro coil? thicker gauge = 4 or 5 wraps and is considered a standard coil? i see on the site that there are 28, 30, 32 and 33 gauge options. i guess i can experiment, but are there dangers that i should be aware of with too many wraps vs. too few?

thanks everyone. looking forward to this purchase!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I think you will love the Mini 2.1 with the RM2, a popular combo in Reoville!

Here is a thread where people post their coils and wire used. It might help you. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/446263-micro-coils-ohms-description.html

First you need to figure out what ohm coil you will want to run at 3.7v. You can go from a low .8 to a 2.0 and get a good amount of vapor and flavor.

Cotton is easy. I use the cotton I got in medicine bottles. Just pull off a piece, twirl to a cord and insert in the coil. Easy as pie!

I do the 1/16 coil. Wrapped on a piece of music wire. You can get pretty close to that on a small screwdriver. Or just use a 1/16 drill bit. If you want to make a larger coil you can use a larger screw driver or bit.

Don't buy anything other than the AW IMR batteries. They work really well on the REO's.

Pick up a atty and cartos ohm meter too. You need to check your coil before putting it on your REO!

Awkwardly Awesome

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Minnesota
let's say i will use cotton wicks and want to use micro coils. what gauge kanthal should i be looking at and how many wraps? i've noticed the trend of thinner wire (28ish) = more wraps which classifies it as a micro coil? thicker gauge = 4 or 5 wraps and is considered a standard coil? i see on the site that there are 28, 30, 32 and 33 gauge options. i guess i can experiment, but are there dangers that i should be aware of with too many wraps vs. too few?

Micro coils are easy. But you have it backwards a little. 28 gauge is actually the thicker wire. The reason you need more wraps is because it has a much lower resistance per inch compared to say 32 gauge. So say you wanted to make a 1ohm coil, a 28g micro coil on a 1/16th drill bit would probably be in the ball park of 8 wraps. Versus a "standard" coil using 32 gauge may only be 3-4 wraps.

I would recommend starting with 28 or 30 gauge Kanthal. They are both easy to work with. And like Nerak said, definitely check your resistance some how before firing it. It has saved me once or two from melting a spring.

run23

Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
out and about...

run23

Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
out and about...
Hi Run23, nice choice of REO, what did you decide on as a color?

went with 'silver vein'.
figured it might look pretty nice coupled with the RM2 and a silver drip tip.

feels like i ordered it daaaaays ago, but in reality it's been less than 24 hours. haha. looking forward to setting it up.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Sorry I'm late here, but congratulations and welcome to Reoville. :)

Don't get just any buttontop. Get at least two AW IMR 18490/18500 batteries--one to charge while vaping one. I like having 2 per REO plus an additional. Get one of those side by side two-battery cases for each of the spare battery(s). The other side will hold a bottle of juice, and some cotton. I use the NiteCore I2 charger and am happy with it. A good charger at a good price.

I'd recommend starting with 8 wraps on a 1/16" drill bit of 28 AWG (about 1.0Ω) or 8 wraps of 30 gauge wire (about 1.6Ω). IMO, 32 is too thin and high of a resistance for a mechanical REO unless you really want a lighter vape (8 wraps should be about 2.5Ω). Fewer wraps lowers resistance as well as wire to wick contact area while more wraps reduces exposed cotton and on thicker wire, slows light-up time.

You DEFINITELY need something to measure resistance with. A inexpensive multimeter does that (between the coil posts) without requiring you to remove the RM2 from the REO as you do for the 501/eGo resistance checkers. The multimeter is also good to measure battery voltage so you don't discharge below about 3.6V or so.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread