Well it finally happened.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Someone that I know in real life actually said they heard that e-cigs are more dangerous than analogs.

Here is what happened... Last night I was at a potluck with friends. I dual use so I was by the bonfire smoking a analog. The one woman came and stood by me. Although she quit many many years ago she aid she still likes the smell of a cigarette.
I said that I could switch to my e-cig if the real one was to tempting for her. At which time she replied that she had read/heard that they were worse for you than real cigs.

She was not nasty or rude about it. She just said it matter of fact like. I told her that is not true at all and that is just propaganda.
She then asked why anyone would say that if it was not true? I then explained that e-cigs cut into the profit of BT and pharm co's.
Once I said that it was like a lightbulb went off in her head.

Hopefully we now have one less person believing the lies.

Ron Pinckard

Feb 11, 2013
Highland Il.
:vapor: She is right you know, ecig's are more dangerous than analogs. By using my APV, i have my sense of taste back.. soo, those donuts and jelly beans taste a whole lot better than the used to.. which leads me to eat more of em.. By using my APV, my sense of smell has come back, and the wife loves roses, which i can now smell for the first time in years..
So ya, ecigs are more dangerous,, on the wallet. and the weight if im not carefull..:blush:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Its good to have an understanding of the ingredients and some of the common places they are found. I had a discussion last night about the ingredients (plural) that are used to hold aspirin parrticles together in the form that we commonly see coming out of the bottle. Or, what is in the capsule part of a drug capsule. Don't forget just what is in dry spaggetti noodles or pickle juice. A Dorito has 124 ingredients.

And, are they called chemicals or are they called ingredients? What sounds better when it comes to selling a food? And, some of those "ingredients" are made up of multiple chemicals/ingredients.

Oh, don't forget microwave popcorn. Some guy died last year from that.

Sorry, just getting into rant mode. But, it is good to know just what all we commonly ingest. I would much rather vape than stand on a city street.

Nobody ever said vaping was perfect, it is Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR).

Last edited:

Vatic

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Ohio
News flash...Life ultimately kills you. Ignorance is bliss but education is the answer for vapers and smokers interested in making the switch. I would say that if I had to chose between 3 or 4 ingredients (3, because I no longer use nicotine ) opposed to 4000+ tars chemicals and known cancer causing agents is a "no brainer" for me on which is the healthier alternative.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
So would I. But ANTZ don't think about all of the other things. It just a way to let them know that vaping is not bad...considering what else they willingly eat or drink. It is just part of the discussion on why vaping is not bad comparatively.

I feel more prepared to have such a discussion I think that if we all were prepared...it would be helpful to our right to vape

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Someone died from microwave popcorn?

One of the key ingredients in the butter flavoring is diacetyl (the manufacturers stopped using it in 2007 because it made their workers sick).

Is microwave popcorn toxic? - HowStuffWorks

The guy actually didn't die, but the doctor attributed his health issues to the diacetyl.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/us/05popcorn.html

And he was awarded $7 million in a lawsuit against the manufacturer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...owave-popcorn-damaged-lungs-article-1.1163543

Vatic

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Ohio
One of the key ingredients in the butter flavoring is diacetyl (the manufacturers stopped using it in 2007 because it made their workers sick).

Is microwave popcorn toxic? - HowStuffWorks

The guy actually didn't die, but the doctor attributed his health issues to the diacetyl.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/us/05popcorn.html

And he was awarded $7 million in a lawsuit against the manufacturer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...owave-popcorn-damaged-lungs-article-1.1163543

some e liquid and extracts still have diacetyl in them. I was going through some of my flavorings and I noticed that FW cookie butter states diacetyl as one of its ingredients. This 4oz bottle of flavoring was made on 6-2-14. I've decided not to use it or anything containing diacetyl but what needs to be known is the person who got popcorn lung from being exposed to diacetyl in a popcorn making plant got this condition after years of severe exposure to high concentrations of the chemical. Some people who DIY on other forums are ok with using butter flavoring in small amounts, but I just dont want to take any chances.

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
I've had many people tell me vaping is way more dangerous than smoking, including the guy the used to be my PMP, used to be... Average person I can understand, they see the news, stories in the press, they have no real reason to doubt what they see or read if they are not smokers or vapors. A physician on the other hand, makes me believe he's possibly influenced by the pharmaceutical industry, "vaping's going to kill you faster then smoking, let me write you a prescription for this instead"!

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
I've had many people tell me vaping is way more dangerous than smoking, including the guy the used to be my PMP, used to be... Average person I can understand, they see the news, stories in the press, they have no real reason to doubt what they see or read if they are not smokers or vapors. A physician on the other hand, makes me believe he's possibly influenced by the pharmaceutical industry, "vaping's going to kill you faster then smoking, let me write you a prescription for this instead"!

Unfortunately all doctors are going to be influenced by the pharmaceutical industry, the good ones will know to look more into it rather than just follow it blindly.

Not exactly the same, but for veterinarians their nutrition course is paid off by some of the crappy pet food brands and is a small class. I wouldn't be surprised if there was similar in medical school where some things are paid for and influenced by big pharma.

More to the point; my girlfriend and I went to visit her mother a week ago and mentioned e-cigs to her. The only info she had heard was that they were bad. She knows us well, and knows we research everything, so when we told her that was wrong she understood and wasn't surprised even before we explained why. She told me to go ahead and bring my mod in and vape in her home and we explained it all to her; the ingredients, why people blow themselves up with them, etc. She was perfectly comfortable with it, laughed about how big my clouds were and said my Taro root and coconut cream e-juice smelled really good.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida

There is no doubt that many physicians are influenced by pharmacutical companies. Not that long ago I drove my sister to a Dr appt. On the other side of the waiting room there were no less than 5 pharmacutial reps.sitting their chatting while waiting to get in to hand out their free samples to the Dr and tell him how wonderful their products were.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
There is no doubt that many physicians are influenced by pharmacutical companies. Not that long ago I drove my sister to a Dr appt. On the other side of the waiting room there were no less than 5 pharmacutial reps.sitting their chatting while waiting to get in to hand out their free samples to the Dr and tell him how wonderful their products were.

And they always seem to know them all on a first name basis, too! At least the ones I've seen do. All friendly with the staff and talking like they're old friends.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Someone died from microwave popcorn?

Yup, my idiot step brother Larry. He'd get drunk on those little bottles of airline liquor (he said they made him feel like a giant) and do stupid things. One day he decide he could get the microwave popcorn to pop in less than 10 seconds if he put a couple of M80's in the bag and then put the whole thing in the microwave. He watched through the microwave glass with excitement as the whole thing exploded, slamming the door into his head. Oddly, the door slamming into his head at the speed of sound isn't what killed him. He was standing on his skateboard so he could look through the glass, the door slamming into his head knocked him back and he went down the basement stairs in slow motion like Tom in a Tom and Jerry cartoon. But it wasn't the fall that killed, him. When he landed, he knocked against a 2X4 which fell into an unmounted Vise which fell off the work bench and that landed on his head, which killed him. He was out cold at that time so it was a painless death. And that's how microwave popcorn killed my step brother Larry. To be fair, if the popcorn didn't kill him, something else would have gotten him through natural selection. He was like the idiot wildebeest who thinks he could make friends with the lions.

Its good to have an understanding of the ingredients and some of the common places they are found. I had a discussion last night about the ingredients (plural) that are used to hold aspirin parrticles together in the form that we commonly see coming out of the bottle. Or, what is in the capsule part of a drug capsule. Don't forget just what is in dry spaggetti noodles or pickle juice. A Dorito has 124 ingredients.

And, are they called chemicals or are they called ingredients? What sounds better when it comes to selling a food? And, some of those "ingredients" are made up of multiple chemicals/ingredients.

Oh, don't forget microwave popcorn. Some guy died last year from that.

Sorry, just getting into rant mode. But, it is good to know just what all we commonly ingest. I would much rather vape than stand on a city street.

Nobody ever said vaping was perfect, it is Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR).

People kill me with "chemicals". Almost everything is chemicals. Water is a chemical. It seems like when they want to make something sound terrifying, it's "chemicals" and if they want to convince you something awful is safe it's "ingredients". The only thing more nebulous and designed to evoke a fear reaction than "chemicals" is "toxins" (usually used when someone wants to sell you something expensive and ineffective to rid yourself of them).

And many of the people who are freaked out about "chemicals" in vaping have no problem eating a dorito, or drinking a soda that has "chemicals" in it that are also used in floor varnish...

And they always seem to know them all on a first name basis, too! At least the ones I've seen do. All friendly with the staff and talking like they're old friends.

That's because they take them out to lunch, or bring catered lunches into the office, and give them expensive booze and Caribbean cruises for Christmas. My mom has worked in doctor's offices since I was a kid, and she's always talking about how such and such drug rep brought everyone lunch from Red Lobster or how Dr. So and So "won" a trip to Spain. Some doctors refuse to meet with them at all, others will prescribe whatever miracle drug they want them to sell just to get free stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread