What build for Mutation X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
Just got a Mutation X in the mail, copper, planning on mating it up to a XXIX clone coming from FT, also copper. I'd like to do a .25-.3 ohm build on this guy. I have 24-28 awg kanthal available. Looks like I have to do duals so my thought of a short-ish twisted 24 awg single is out of the question. Dual parallel 26 ga maybe? Most of my builds are around .4 - .5 ohm, dual with 26 ga. Anyway, not in a huge hurry to build it. I'll be using authentic VTC4's and VTC5's, for what it's worth.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
ive got a couple that will be with me very soon, cant wait to get my hands on them.

i will be doing dual 24g with bent legs so as to get the coils lined up nicely with the center post, but you could do like a 26g open coil on 3/32nd or 7/64th and as i said bend the legs to center the coils so they fit better, here! heres pic's of what i mean... i kno it's not the same as the mutationX but you get the general idea, and you can see how the coils can be kept horizontal by doing this

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Simple .34Ω build. 26g 4/5 wraps around approximate 2mm mandrel (used a coat hanger that is in between 3mm and 1.5mm). Excellent vape!

One week's use, both coil and rayon wick. Still going strong. Might dry burn and re-wick tomorrow night though. We'll see.

mutex1.jpg

mutex2.jpg

mutex3.jpg

mutex4.jpg

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
Even after having built lots of coils, I still get surprises... I first tried a 4/5 wrap of 26 on a 7/64 bit. It was about as centered as I could get it and I felt great about the build. Put it on the ohm meter and it registered .61 ohm. Whoops, not what I was going for. So I started over with a 4/5 wrap of 24 on a 3/32 bit and hit .29 ohm on what feels like a good build. I pushed the coils down as far as they can go but still getting good airflow and it's not quite as hot as I thought it would be. Definitely makes a nice plume with 75% VG juice though. Thanks guys, I may try a twisted or braided setup on this guy when the XXIX comes in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread