What the heck is going one with my 4Nine Clone and these magnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
I suppose this could also be named "Magnets. How do they work?"

I received my 4Nine clone today and was using it with a TOBH and everything was great. The switch was great and the negative polarity on the magnet worked fine. After about an hour of use I attached my Fogger V4 and after a few minutes the whole mod, starting with the button, become untouchably hot. I removed the atomizer and battery immediately and let it cool down.

Now I look at the magnets and there's a black mark on them... and the negative polarity seems to be sorta gone!! It'll seem like it's there for a second but then the magnets will stick together. I tried wiping with some alcohol but they connect anyway... and kind of on a skew.

What the hell did I do?

I'm using the recommended battery and when I tried again with a different battery the same thing happened. I checked the atomizer builds on my ohms reader and they seem fine, but obviously something is wrong.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
Hey Robin, sorry to hear about your issue. If your Fogger V4 is like mine the positive post is actually slightly recessed. For ANY mod where the atty makes direction connection to the battery an extended positive post on the atty is required. It sounds like the whole thing grounded out, heating the battery which FUBARd the magnet.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
Sorry to say, but your magnets are done for...once the become hot they can completely lose their magnetism. Something caused a bunch of heat in your mod, perhaps there was a short somewhere? Does the positive post of your atomizer stick out past the negative?

That was the problem. The post was flush and didn't even think to check. Lesson learned the hard way. New magnets being ordered.
Thank you!

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
Hey Robin, sorry to hear about your issue. If your Fogger V4 is like mine the positive post is actually slightly recessed. For ANY mod where the atty makes direction connection to the battery an extended positive post on the atty is required. It sounds like the whole thing grounded out, heating the battery which FUBARd the magnet.

Yep! FUBARED. Ya'll are so smart. I'll never do that again!

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
well I learned my lesson. Thankfully I was able to purchase the bottom button w/ magnet and floating magnet from the same vendor I bought the mod from for about $12. Probably could have been done cheaper if I found just the replacement magnet for the button, but at this point I am more concerned about getting the right thing than fuddling around.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
... Lesson learned the hard way. ...

I'm glad that the magnets and maybe your battery were the only victims in this.

Yes, I understand that these connector-less mods can be used safely by knowledgeable users. But I am concerned that mass distribution of these types of mods are going to lead to problems that may adversely affect the whole community. Our products need to be both high performance and generally safe for all to whom they marketed. The 4nine mods and other pin-less 510 devices are causing too many shorts. (I don't think hybrid devices specifically designed for direct-to-battery connections are suffering this proliferation of failures, but I don't know.)

Even Porsche and Ferrari have airbags and other safety measures for their high-performance street legal products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread