Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
wick

wicked

wicked wicks

wickety wick...

say, sweety, sumthin in that liquid I should know about ?

Had some good with steel mesh - but in a small dripper like the mini rda the end near the airhole appears to get eaten away by oxidation... look a bit gnawed on after a while...being an ole crusty geezer I can live with, but without rusty lungs, please...so I fiddle around with organic (FWIW) cotton - jury is still out on what's worse ... rusty lungs or cotton dry hits...

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
yes, out lasts the puff balls by alot more from my experience. with puff balls Im changing the wick every two days or less

Thanks a bunch .... I am going to see if I can find some of that Peaches and Cream white cotton yarn someplace ... I get tired of changing the cotton ball wick in my kayfun all the time.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I guess you just pulled the doubled up cotton yarn through your coil with a little piece of wire, just like in the photos below that I took when using silica once before?

However, I didn't like silica all that much, but am willing to try cotton yarn.

Coil3.jpg

Coil4.jpg

Last edited:

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
I guess you just pulled the doubled up cotton yarn through your coil with a little piece of wire, just like in the photos below that I took when using silica once before?

However, I didn't like silica all that much, but am willing to try cotton yarn.

Coil3.jpg

Coil4.jpg

ya thats how i do it

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
For drippers I use XC-116 and for gennies and my Russian I use porous ceramic(bon 60 grit). I used to be all about the drippers, but lately this Russian build is giving me the best vape and preforms best throughout the life of my battery on the mech. Between the 26Ga wire, the solid ceramic, and the small air chamber this thing insulates heat really well. I feel I get the best flavor when the vape is making the atty itself warm to the touch. could be that the heat is making the liquid less viscous and more juice is flowing to the coil when I draw.

I switched to cotton a few months ago, and now I'm trying bamboo fiber (random picture from google : http://www.bamboo-china.com/product/image/natural-bamboo-top.jpg ).

A bit tricky to work with if you're not used to it, but as of now, looks like it is one of the best wicking material I've been working with. I still have to try any type of ceramic and hemp.

Silica = no more for me.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Depends on the liquid and what aspects of the flavor I want to bring out.

In general I like to put crisp or acidic stuff through a hybrid mesh/silica wick. I usually shoot for a coil around 2.5 Ohms on these...with 4 or 5 wraps of really thin wire (I.E. AWG 33 or 34).

For more mellow or sweet flavors...I go with surgical cotton on a 2 Ohm micro coil (variable PV so I can get a lot of heat range on that).

Some flavors are somewhere between the two, or are quite exotic layered flavors. These might get straight silica, flavor wicks of cotton on top of that, or even a mixed multiple coil rig with cotton on one side, and a mesh/silica hybrid on the other.

I rarely go with all mesh wicks these days...simply because I only need the mesh right under the coils to get the target flavor. I'll just use a bit of mesh on silica with regular coils to spread heat a bit and get the flavor I'm after.

In short...different wicks can bring out different flavors and vape textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread