Why mech mods??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I'm trying to wrap my brain around this thing. What is the advantage of having a mech mod? When we're at a point where we've got mods that do 50+ watts, 120 watts, etc., why have a mech mod?

Let me say that I understand the basics of how a mech mod works, that it pulls its power straight from the battery. Whatever voltage your battery has is the voltage your mod is going to produce. (Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). But, I also understand that as the battery begins to wane, there's a voltage drop, which would result in an inconsistent vaping experience.

So - why do so many people prefer mech mods to a regulated mod? Is it just price? I mean, I can understand that, I looked at the Vicious VariAnt and that thing is like $500/$600 or something like that.

Anyway....it's just kind of bugging me because I don't know!

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
As someone who really has little to no interest in mechanical mods let me give you my opinion.

The power fed to the device has a good bit to do with the resistance of the topper, typically an RDA or RBA of one sort or another. This is where vaping really becomes a hobby. One has to fabricate a perfect match for heat, power, and aesthetics. Fiddling with ohms and little bits of wire and wick is very enjoyable for some people. I am most certainly not one of them, although I do dabble.

Another big thing is the aesthetic appeal of a mechanical mod. Let's be honest, there's nothing attractive about an MVP. Some people like their vaping experience to be beautiful as well as satisfying. Matching a perfectly crafted set of micro coils in a beautifully machined RDA to a sexy copper tube does it for some people. Not everyone, but to each his own.

Kalaniboi81

May 23, 2014
Tacoma,WA,USA
Honestly i think the rave of mech mods over regulated mods was simply the power produced by the mech mod with a sub ohm build was more so than that of a regulated mod with a 20w max. Now like you stated the regulated mods are getting into that 100w range which i imagine will eventually take reign over the mech mod, but due to the price it might take awhile, and you'll always have your loyal fans LOL. I personally love my mech mod to death, but if i said i wasn't looking to purchase a kick ... regulated mod like the Hana i would be lying! Vaping is still fairly new and alot growing is still to come. The question is with the rate in which these regulated mods are expanding will mech mods even be in the picture a few years from now?

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
I can only tell you why for me personally - If its dirty, I take out the battery and scrub it with soap and water in the sink. If I drop it, its fine. If I drop it in a puddle its still fine. If something fails or breaks I have spares of the few parts there are and a phillips screwdriver and will have it good as new in a matter of seconds. There is nothing that can break or fail that I cannot repair - and I cannot destroy it :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I started using mechanicals long before there was sub ohm or RDAs.

When I started vaping, the FDA was involved in a lawsuit, customs was seizing shipments of vape products, and the end of vaping was looming over our head. (sound familiar)
    So I started looking for ways to become 'self reliant'. The mechanical PV was the obvious choice. I also took the time to learn how to make my own PV if necessary. Then I did the same with toppers, and then DIY my liquids.
    So now if Hell should freeze over, I can still buy batteries for my flashlights, wire for my hot-wire cutters, and supplies to make candy.

Last edited:

Singaw

May 21, 2014
    ComVal, Philippines
    My main reason for using a mechanical is because I need to have something I can repair myself. Anything with a circuit board is useless to me when the only repair guy for miles around is a motorcycle mechanic who owns a pair of vice grips and a hammer. I started using mechanicals, wrapping my own coils and making my own e-juice out of necessity.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2012
    California
    I've got two words for you hunny, no computer. There's nothing in your mod to fry should the gasket on your connection plate leak, and that's really nice. As someone who's fried expensive variable voltage mods because of an accident, and leaky gasket, mech mods are golden, at least in my opinion.

And then of course, yeah the price is nice, and they look rather steam punk. If variable voltage is what you're after, they do make gadgets to do it. Gadgets that you can just swap out and replace if something happens to them, and they aren't expensive. You can put them in and take them out as you like. Mech Mods are versatile in a way that electronic mods aren't.

But to each their own.

Last edited:

JQside

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2011
    Canada
    It's all about personal preferences. I mainly use my 18350 mech mods, there are six of them I accumulated over time, even though I have three VV mods. Why? I like something simple and handy. They're enough to satisfy my cravings, which is the main focus. I chuckle when I see terms like sub-ohming, micro coiling, etc. They're nonsensical to me, especially in a new members forum. Man, how much current do you need to heat up a tiny wick?

jhelliwell

Fog master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 23, 2013
    Sheffielld, UK
    Yeah, I am often quoted as saying "I can't see the point" when a mate said "So when are yout getting your first mech"....

Well when I did get my first mech, I just swapped my Kayfun from my regulated mod, stuck it on the mech with a freshly charged battery, took one hit and went "Wow!" because of the much warmer, flavourful yummy vape. And as for the vape quality going off, it doesn't really bother me, mainly because I run low resistance ~1ohm. So when the battery is down at 3.6V I still get a quality vape, but I notice I'm not getting enough performance and swap batteries.

Cleaning a mech is easy. The entire thing can be washed. I'm not scared to vape in pouring rain. I can put different atomisers on there at different resistances and don't have to mess around in menus changing settings. If I want to, I can vape at 48W with no chipset limitations.

And it teaches you things. How to use a multimeter; Ohms law; How much current you're pulling from the battery, because there is no chipset ensuring safety; How much current your batteries are rated for; The internal resistance of your batteries climbimg as they age, and when to dump them; To use Sony VTC-5' batteries because they are rated for 35A.

Mechs are fun. And definitely more aesthetcially pleasing. But if you're going to make the jump to a mech, please research battery safety on here. Look up a guy called Baditude and read his blogs. Misusing a high drain battery can have serious consequences.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread