Will this work to clean a new subtank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Just received a subtank from kangermall and the thing smells heavily of machine oil, including the coils...
I was thinking I'd mix a solution of warm water, rubbing alcohol and salt, and just let all the seperate parts soak in there for awhile before setting out to dry. I'm a little apprehensive about doing this with the coils though, I don't want to damage it.

EDIT:
On second thought maybe just warm water...

Last edited:

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
Just received a subtank from kangermall and the thing smells heavily of machine oil, including the coils...
I was thinking I'd mix a solution of warm water, rubbing alcohol and salt, and just let all the seperate parts soak in there for awhile before setting out to dry. I'm a little apprehensive about doing this with the coils though, I don't want to damage it.

EDIT:
On second thought maybe just warm water...

I wouldn't use that stuff on the gaskets either. I would say using like warm water and dawn soap then a very good hot rise would work.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
Yeah, hot soapy dawn detergent wash and hot water rinse. lube the seals and glass ends with a little vg or e-juice before assembly.

The coils though I wouldn't wash with soap or water as the newer subtank coils are cotton wicked. So for the coils, a good soaking in vodka or gin or grain alcohol and let them dry out thoroughly overnight. I would also suggest priming the washed and dried coil heads with a little e-juice before installing using just in case theres a little water remaining that hasnt evaporated out of the cotton so that you dont end up toasting the cotton.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
arrr what was i thinking...
The coils dont need any cleaning if they're new. Even soaking in alcohol for a dirty used coil would be not the right thing for these since they're wicked in cotton. The better renewal for used ones, if you're not going to rebuild it entirely, would be to just pull out the old cotton wicking and rinse the coil off, pulse dry burn and then rewick the coil with new cotton. Preferably the organic japanese cotton pad material such as koh gen do or muji. Several videos on youtube demonstrate technique for this btw.

hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread