retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Anyone use an Android Auto dongle? While my vehicle does play music and take calls wirelessly, it doesn't allow me to use any of my apps on the phone (like Waze) without connecting the phone via USB. I've been reading up on wireless dongles that allow your phone to use Android Auto via Bluetooth, and have narrowed my choices down to a couple of brands, but would like some real world input on those that use something like this.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I'd like one of those too, if it works well. It would be nice to get a map without plugging in the phone.

Sync has its own GPS, but it stinks to high heaven. It's very similar to the Allstate commercial with Mayhem acting as the GPS.

I do like Waze and I find it better than Google. This is the primary reason I'm looking at these dongles as I hate plugging the phone in and shoving it in the storage space where the USB port is located. I'd much rather shove the dongle in there and just be done with it.

I've narrowed it down to a short list of 2.

I'm leaning more towards the AAWireless dongle.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
Just read a review on this one, too.

However, the heat may be an issue as I plan on squirreling this thing away in a small space which isn't going to get anything as far as air flow.
I would just like to get pandora without plugging in my phone. My old silverado had it built into the head unit. My tacoma just has sirius. It would be nice to stream the radio as I'm on the fringe of my favorite station (wxpn)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Call me paranoid but I'm not a fan of connecting things to my car. If I have to login, I'm out.

When I bought my latest vehicle the sales guy was literally trying to grab the phone out of my hands to set it all up. I said, "No." He was NOT taking it for an answer.

Let's just say that I made it more clear. He backed off.

Yes, I know they're already tracking every word I say I (and every pee that I take), but I'm trying to make it a LITTLE more difficult for them.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Call me paranoid but I'm not a fan of connecting things to my car. If I have to login, I'm out.

When I bought my latest vehicle the sales guy was literally trying to grab the phone out of my hands to set it all up. I said, "No." He was NOT taking it for an answer.

Let's just say that I made it more clear. He backed off.

Yes, I know they're already tracking every word I say I (and every pee that I take), but I'm trying to make it a LITTLE more difficult for them.

Let me amp that dose of paranoia up a bit (OK, let me amp it up A LOT!).

Now... Connecting your phone via bluetooth to your vehicle isn't that much of an issue. There's no login, no passwords to remember or anything like that. It's the apps that are already installed that you need to worry about.

I use my phone for just 3 things while I'm behind the wheel. 1) Music. 2) GPS. 3) The rare phone call. I don't touch the phone at all. It's all done via the screen on the dash, or voice commands.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Let me amp that dose of paranoia up a bit (OK, let me amp it up A LOT!).

Now... Connecting your phone via bluetooth to your vehicle isn't that much of an issue. There's no login, no passwords to remember or anything like that. It's the apps that are already installed that you need to worry about.

I use my phone for just 3 things while I'm behind the wheel. 1) Music. 2) GPS. 3) The rare phone call. I don't touch the phone at all. It's all done via the screen on the dash, or voice commands.

Yeah, I know, and based on permissions that I granted (buzzing through them, of course).

I still do it the old way, music-wise. I turn on the radio and change the FM station, same as I did back in the late 70s.

For calls, I have the Bluetooth in my ear (not through the car speakers), same as when I'm at home (or anywhere). It's all pizzin' in the ocean, I know. Like I said though, it's a tiny little piece of control that I can hang onto, so I do.

I'm not saying it's the right way, just that it's the right way for me.

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
I remember when AM was king, and after the sun went down I could get some good stations from far away wkbw was pretty good back then. Then we got a bootleg fm progressive station called wktk, sometimes they'd just play a whole album, both sides. I did try the motorola usb adapter and it paired up fine with my cheapo samsung phone. I didn't have a lot of time to play with it as I had to get a fish home to clean. Try streaming wxpn, it is still a good station and they play a lot of vinyl.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I would just like to get pandora without plugging in my phone. My old silverado had it built into the head unit. My tacoma just has sirius. It would be nice to stream the radio as I'm on the fringe of my favorite station (wxpn)

I tried this route but many of the artists I listen to can't be found on Pandora (or at least I couldn't find them).

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
good vid., made me think of this for some reason...

There's a very similar line in both songs, and it ALWAYS makes me think of Joe's Garage too. Trying to remember but I think it's two of the speaking parts.

"Aw, mom, not this show again!"

"Don't you boys know any nice songs?"

Quotes aren't verbatim (at least I don't THINK they are). My memory is far from that good.

Actually, it's far from "good", even. :lol:

Reactions: borno

Users who are viewing this thread